Busking this summer

WhiteShadow

My friend who's a bass player and myself are going to be spending 2 weeks out at the beach in the Carolinas this July, and wanted to see if we could get out and perform outdoors in the beach town while we're there. Prolly going to come prepared with about 1.5 hrs of classics rock/metal songs if we ended up doing it.

Does anyone here have some detailed knowledge/tips for busking? I've personally never been to these beach towns we're meeting up at before, so I don't know the laws or the rules of the streets there. Is there a way I can find out?

Also just any tips or helpful advice you think I should know, please chime in. That includes maybe some good gear recommendations I could look into. Thanks!

Here's a tip: even if you hate the music, keep up on 2-3 of the "hot" pop songs out and have a simple arrangement of it ready to go. There will always be drunk wooooo girls around at the beach and a group of girls dancing attracts everyone else.
Good tip. Thanks!
What beach towns are you going to?
Looking at Myrtle Beach and/or Carolina Beach right now, but open to other suggestions. We haven't decided yet.

I’m am in SC about all my childhood and early adulthood summer vacations were spent at MB. North Myrtle is where you would want to go. You shouldn’t have any issues the place stays packed all summer long. Also Folly Beach is a good area further south.

I’m am in SC about all my childhood and early adulthood summer vacations were spent at MB. North Myrtle is where you would want to go. You shouldn’t have any issues the place stays packed all summer long. Also Folly Beach is a good area further south.
Yo thanks for the tips! Do you think we would need to get a permit? Also, I know in Nashville some of those buskers kind of fight over territory (i.e. “this is my corner” etc.). Would we be likely to run into that kind of situation)

I think Mrytle beach might be a little more strict. Why don't you look for bars down there and call them to see if they need anyone. I play bass in a doom band right now and the drummer is in a cover band that makes a good bit of cash doing cover sets.

I shit the nay, he said they play the "Friends" theme song and bitches love it. He said it makes him want to blow his brains out

I've always vacationed there too as a kid and young adult. North Mrytle is where the older crowd is. The younger high school grad week kids are to the south. A quick look on Google said there is a ban unless you have a permit. You do not want to go to jail in SC(trust me).

My home county used to have a welcome sign at the jail there(we are dumb rednecks).

I would try Carolina Beach or Folley as was mentioned earlier.

My wife is going to Folley this weekend and I'm counting the minutes for her to go. I want to fire up my amps. I love this punk ass but goddammit she needs a fucking vacation. Stressing me the fuck out over dumb shit

Last edited:
I would try Carolina Beach or Folley as was mentioned earlier.

My wife is going to Folley this weekend and I'm counting the minutes for her to go. I want to fire up my amps. I love this punk ass but goddammit she needs a fucking vacation. Stressing me the fuck out over dumb shit
It's what they do!

I think Mrytle beach might be a little more strict. Why don't you look for bars down there and call them to see if they need anyone. I play bass in a doom band right now and the drummer is in a cover band that makes a good bit of cash doing cover sets.

I shit the nay, he said they play the "Friends" theme song and bitches love it. He said it makes him want to blow his brains out
You know, I would do that if I were confident in my singing. But just being a guitarist mostly without a band I feel like busking just sets the expectation of the crowd as low as possible. If I did a solo bar gig it might not be so great. One day I plan to remedy this dilemma by actually training my voice and adding singing to my resume of skills.

Unless you've got some suggestions on how to pull off a bar gig with what I've got to work with??

Looper pedal then play the vocal melody on guitar? I used to attend an IT User Group Meeting in Charlotte and these two guys were playing jazz. Basically, they would play jazz covers of popular songs and one would play the vocal melodies on guitar. Actually sounded really good.

Back