buy a 2nd G-major 2.. or Rocktron Replifex/G-major 1?

Bash_Man

Hey everyone,
Looking to add a 2nd effects unit to my small rack for the ability to mix or stack effects together. Currently have a G-Major 2, have a chance to get a G-Major 1 or a Rocktron Replifex for around $250 CAD.

Thoughts?

Need the additional unit to be able to accept Midi CC messages, which I believe both Replifex and G-major 1 do that to allow effects to be used in a stomp box like configuration with my Group Control Pro.

Any input is appriciated.

Thanks

Neither one. The Intellifex sounds better than both of them. The Replifex sounds best into the front of a Marshall Super Lead. It has one of the best Leslie simulations I've ever heard.

thanks guys.. cant find any Intellifex. I did however find an Xpression for sale for around $300 CAD. Does the Xpression do CC midi ?

You’d have to look. I didn’t use it midi, but pretty sure it had midi. Usually, before this inflation crap you could find used ones for $150-$250 US, don’t know the price point now? What I really liked about the Xpression, is signal flow can be switched digital or analog. Changes the sound a lot. I always used analog. Had less smooth processed digital sound, but if that’s your thing, it has option for both.

Another alternative is a Lexicon MPX-1. I think they sound better than the Rocktron and TC stuff and can be found fairly cheap.

Another alternative is a Lexicon MPX-1. I think they sound better than the Rocktron and TC stuff and can be found fairly cheap.
No way! The MPX-1 doesn't have near the clarity of early TC and Rocktron gear. The digital lag between programs on the MPX-1 is inexcusable. Lexicon (in the early days) made great reverb and delay effects, the rest is shit.

thanks everyone. I am leaning toward the G-major 1 or Replifex. mainly cause they have the Channel Switching Relay on the back that I can utilize along with the G-Major 2 to get full access to all "4" channels of the Splawn Nitro (Clean, OD1, OD2, Solo).

Unless I can find a 2nd G-major 2 at a cheap price 🙃

thanks everyone. I am leaning toward the G-major 1 or Replifex. mainly cause they have the Channel Switching Relay on the back that I can utilize along with the G-Major 2 to get full access to all "4" channels of the Splawn Nitro (Clean, OD1, OD2, Solo).

Unless I can find a 2nd G-major 2 at a cheap price 🙃
I had an Expression, and it seems to me that it had channel switching... I could be wrong. The Replifex rolls-off at 8k, like analog effects pedals. Its low-fi character works best as a front-of-amp device. Using it in a loop is less than spectacular. Its two-voice chorus and spartan reverbs don't work well in a loop. If you get the Replifex, try plugging it into the front of your amp (clean channel only), and then add OD/Dist using a pedal. This is what the Replifex was designed for. If you pass on the Replifex, I wouldn't mind getting it.

I had an Expression, and it seems to me that it had channel switching... I could be wrong. The Replifex rolls-off at 8k, like analog effects pedals. Its low-fi character works best as a front-of-amp device. Using it in a loop is less than spectacular. Its two-voice chorus and spartan reverbs don't work well in a loop. If you get the Replifex, try plugging it into the front of your amp (clean channel only), and then add OD/Dist using a pedal. This is what the Replifex was designed for. If you pass on the Replifex, I wouldn't mind getting it.

I really like the Replifex in the loop. I kinda like it better than the Intellifex, even though most people say otherwise. I think it is better as an all-around effects processor, where the Intellifex is better at one effect at a time. The Chorus isn't as strong, but it can do something the Intellifex can't, which is run pitch Detune and Chorus at the same time. That is how you get some super lush Chorus. The G Major 2 is the same way. You really need both effects together to get the deeper effects. The Reverb is very limited, but I think what it does have sounds good.

The thing with the MPX-1 is you really need to run it in parallel with a mixer. I built a little dry/wet mixer pedal that I use with mine. The switching lag is not a big deal that way, and you get more transparency in the effects. I think it is warmer sounding overall than the Rocktron stuff, but it is a pain in the ass to deal with compared. I think the Detune, Delay, and Reverb all sound great on it though. You can't do Detune and Chorus at the same time though, which sucks.

The G Major 2 is best through a parallel mixer also I think, but you can get by without it. It is definitely more hi-fi, but can make your entire tone more hi-fi than the other units without a mixer.

I have the Replifex, Intellifex, MPX-1, G-Major 2, and an Axe-FX II, so I am always switching between them, messing around, using them for effects with my amps. They are all great units in one way or another.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Just an update... I scored a G-Major 2 locally for cheap. Local guy clearing up some gear. $300 CAD :D

Cheers

I really like the Replifex in the loop. I kinda like it better than the Intellifex, even though most people say otherwise. I think it is better as an all-around effects processor, where the Intellifex is better at one effect at a time. The Chorus isn't as strong, but it can do something the Intellifex can't, which is run pitch Detune and Chorus at the same time. That is how you get some super lush Chorus. The G Major 2 is the same way. You really need both effects together to get the deeper effects. The Reverb is very limited, but I think what it does have sounds good.

The thing with the MPX-1 is you really need to run it in parallel with a mixer. I built a little dry/wet mixer pedal that I use with mine. The switching lag is not a big deal that way, and you get more transparency in the effects. I think it is warmer sounding overall than the Rocktron stuff, but it is a pain in the ass to deal with compared. I think the Detune, Delay, and Reverb all sound great on it though. You can't do Detune and Chorus at the same time though, which sucks.

The G Major 2 is best through a parallel mixer also I think, but you can get by without it. It is definitely more hi-fi, but can make your entire tone more hi-fi than the other units without a mixer.

I have the Replifex, Intellifex, MPX-1, G-Major 2, and an Axe-FX II, so I am always switching between them, messing around, using them for effects with my amps. They are all great units in one way or another.

I've found this as well with the MPX-1 as I feel it sounds warmer then other units i've tried. What is your thoughts about the axe-fx when compared to the MPX-1?

I've found this as well with the MPX-1 as I feel it sounds warmer then other units i've tried. What is your thoughts about the axe-fx when compared to the MPX-1?
The Axe-FX II that I have is much more transparent than the MPX-1. It is very vanilla I would say. It sounds great, but doesn't have that old school character to it. You could probably dial in some of that by using EQs, compressors, and drive blocks just on the effects, but I have never tried that hard, lol.

The Axe is obviously WAY more versatile. You can pretty much do anything you want on it. The MPX-1 has a ton of limitations, but it does sound good. I would say the MPX-1 is darker, and it seems to sit behind the tone, instead of on top of it like more transparent units.

Back