CAB M+ Power Amp Volume Issue + Difference to WoS?

skilkis

Recently I got a CAB M and I am very happy with it's IR loader functionality. Having the ability to have up to 200ms IRs is awesome and it sounds very natural especially with a room IR ?

My only complaint with it is that the CAB M power amps seem to have been modified with the 5.0 firmware update (looking at videos) and it is very difficult to get a similar sound out of the WoS plugin and the CAB M. I also noticed that the input level on the CAB M has to be pretty low for the power amp model to not reduce the volume of the signal (Peak ~-18 dBFS, RMS ~-24 dBFS). I noticed that when the input level is low, the volume control of the power amp actually boosts the signal which is the expected behavior. Hence I think the headroom seems to be an issue and at higher levels the power amp is applying a lot of compression (more than expected) to the signal. This is a bit annoying as then I have to boost the signal like crazy once out of the CAB M. So my questions are:

1. Is the drop in volume at higher input levels when using the new power amp models normal?
  2. What would be a possible way to match the power amp sound of the WoS plugin to the CAB M with the 5.0 firmware update?
  3. Are the pre 5.0 firmware CAB M power amp models the same as on the WoS plugin?
  4. If Yes to (3), can the CAB M firmware be downgraded to pre-5.0 firmware?
Signal Chain: SL/LD Pre-amp [Power amp output] -> [-24 dB input level] CAB M [Line Out] -> PC

Hello,

1. When coming very strong in the C.A.B M, the power amp is compressing the sound a bit, as a real amp would do (the sag effect). However, we would like to listen to your sound please? Can you submit a ticket on the Two notes helpdesk with audio samples of the behaviour you mention? This would help us improve the global tone of the pedal.
2. the power amps have been changed in the C.A.B M+ update to give the preamp+power amp association the best tone possible.
3. the power amps are different in C.A.B. M+ compared to WoS
4. it is not possible to downgrade to the previous version of the firmware. The precedent version of the firmware has been replaced by the current version.

@dilhoo Thanks for your answers to my questions. I'm pleased with the sound of the new power amps now! Sometimes the ears get used to a certain sound and its hard to get them to like something new I guess. Good work on the new update ?

Back