Cabs and speakers for a Nitro

Jeffb

I recently joined the splawn family after I picked up a Nitro off reverb from a guy in Cali. The reason I decided to go with the Nitro was I also have a KSR GEMINI that I absolutely loved but paired with my Orange ppc 4x12 and 2x12 cabs it didn't sound good. My other guitarist in my band has an Orange Dual dark 100 with the same cab combo and is sounds amazing. I didn't want to go the same route as him as far as the head being people were selling them way above the original price. The Nitro sounds decent with the cabs but not good enough for the sound I wanted to keep up with his DD100, I'm trying an eq peddle to come close to what I want but not sure yet. I guess I'm wondering if the Nitro would sound better with a splawn cab, something like a big block or close too that instead of the v30s orange cab that seams dark from the get go. I apologize for the long post and would love any feedback you may have.

I had V30s in my Splawn 4x12 cabinet and it was a bit on the darker side. Due to weight and stages size, I went with a Splawn vertical Wide 212 and had V30s in it.. while it sounded good, i still felt it was missing something. I swapped them with WGS Retro 30s and couldnt be happier. Check my Youtube channel below for Videos of that head and cab.

I cant asure you that you'll get the same tones as of course different factors between the 2 rigs. But you'd get an idea.

Cheers

Here ya go. Found this on the old Splawn Forum Proboard. There is a link to a bunch of different speakers with the QR and Nitro. Granted, I believe it was with the speakers that Splawn was using back in the day (BB, SB and the Eminence MOW/Governor). But if you're interested in the BB or SB speakers this will give you a good idea.

https://splawnfans.proboards.com/thread/1651/splawn-amp-speaker-comparison-clips

Hey Jeff. Glad you made it over here :yes:

Like I was saying before I think I agree with most that V30s and Splawns don't mix well for whatever reason. Something about the mids? Some do like them tho. I forgot all about that thread on the old Splawn forum War n D posted. I've tried G12H30, CL80, MOW, V30, and now my Small Block 212 cab and couldn't be happier. They pretty reasonably priced so the cab alone is worth the money. You can always swap around later.

Enjoy and welcome to Rig-Talk :cheers:

I had V30s in my Splawn 4x12 cabinet and it was a bit on the darker side. Due to weight and stages size, I went with a Splawn vertical Wide 212 and had V30s in it.. while it sounded good, i still felt it was missing something. I swapped them with WGS Retro 30s and couldnt be happier. Check my Youtube channel below for Videos of that head and cab.

I cant asure you that you'll get the same tones as of course different factors between the 2 rigs. But you'd get an idea.

Cheers
I remember watching your videos, setup sounds great!

Guitar center has a BB 4X12 for $499, thinking about picking it up and seeing how it sounds compared to the orange 4x12 side by side.

I remember watching your videos, setup sounds great!
Thanks. Honestly, I've had alot of compliments on that Splawn vertical wide 212 cab. Everyone who hears it says it's nice and clear. Plenty of air moved around and push. Yes, those same people agree with me that it doesn't sound like a 412, but in a live mic'd stage volume, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Cheers

Back