Cali Mod Clip

fearhk213

Found an old clip of my Cali mod I did last year. It was one of my first times running it through the front load cab. I thought it sounded cool, so I figured I'd post it up here. Solo'd guitars are after the drums.

Here's the chain:
Icebuckers
Fortin Cali Mod (No external boost; saturation on)
Fortin front load 4x12 w/V30's
SM57
UA Apollo - (1084 sim - no eq)
(No post processing)

I couldn't find the wave file, so it's an mp3. Anyway here's the link:

Almost sounds like you are using a treble booster or something?? Must be those pickups. Other than that it sounds good.

Almost sounds like you are using a treble booster or something?? Must be those pickups. Other than that it sounds good.
The pickups do have some top end. What you're likely hearing is the hair switch, though. I had that on (not sure if it's in the highest position or not). I was also running the bass and presence relatively high too.

Sounds cool. How did it sound in the room? I'm thinking the recoding compressed it a bit?
Thanks man. Yes, it sounds a more compressed in the recording than it does in the room. I did this clip a while back and am going off memory, but I’ve had the amp for a number of years and know it well. I do remember the amp was pretty loud when I did the clip (likely loud enough to jam with a drummer), so I probably could have backed the mic up a touch and/or lowered the bass and that would’ve opened it up more.

It’s a big sounding Marshall. When I dial it in like I did in that clip, it’s pretty gnarly and in your face with good depth in the room. The clipping is on here, so there is some of that Jose compression going on. The hair switch helps push it back out front, so it’s not so compressed it gets flat or sits back in the cab when playing in the room.

Back