Cameron Aldrich Modded Marshall

Webb

Hey guys, need a little advice from the experts. I just got a Cameron Aldrich modded Marshall JCM 800 50w and I'm having an issue with low volume. Even with the Master and preamp cranked, it's barely over TV listening levels. I checked to make sure the tubes didn't come loose in shipping but they all seem to be seated properly. I'm not using the effects loop...just plugging straight into the front high sensitivity input, out to a Marshall 1960TV 4x12.

I'm going to start by replacing the preamp tubes in hopes that that will solve the issue. Any recommendations on replacement tubes (I can't tell what's in there now)? Any other troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

index.php

You're on the right track with tubes. Pre tubes first. Had a Vintage Modern that went from gig volume to very quiet during a song, was a Preamp tube. Not sure about new production but all the Marshalls I've had really like Winged Cs, Siemens, RFTs, Mullards, Tesla and EL34Ms, not sure who made those? My current/past Marshalls included 4 Cameron Aldrich's. Chinese and Amperex pre tubes are my choices for Marshalls. I'm sure your cord is good?

you could try plugging your guitar into the FX return to rule out the preamp?

I like JJ preamp tubes if I'm not going NOS. Cheap and they work great and last.

If tubes don't fix it, and if it has an effects loop with a switching jack (bypasses the loop when unplugged), it could be dirty/bent contacts not making a good connection.

If the loop has no bypass switch, this is likely the case. If so, plug a cable in from the send to the return, if it fixes the problem, this will tell you if you have bad/dirty contacts.

I had that problem with my amp and it was a pre amp tube, by the way I had a 50 watt Cameron Aldrich and it was AWESOME!!! mine had some extras on the back, I mean tone shaping capabilities that really livened the amp up, and there was a switvh to use different tubes, it ruled!!

Forgot to update this thread, but I got everything sorted. A preamp swap got this beast roaring again. Thanks to everyone above for the tips.

Back