Can 3 position gain switch be added to PT-20?

57Strat777

Hi Dave - Happy New year! I recently purchased a PT-20 and love it. I noticed you have a new amp called a Mini Dirty Shirley that looks to be based on the PT-20 but includes a 3-way gain switch. I was wondering if this 3-way gain switch could be added to a PT-20. If so, how would it affect the tone of the PT-20 in the 3 positions? Thanks!

Oh yes it sounds great! The middle Position sounds exactly like my 1978 JMP 50 Watt. And this with the Pink Taco's EL84 tubes!

dvmts4.jpg

Paratrooper":3av5jlsp said:
Oh yes it sounds great! The middle Position sounds exactly like my 1978 JMP 50 Watt. And this with the Pink Taco's EL84 tubes!

dvmts4.jpg

This sounds really interesting and a very usable addition to the PT-20.

How does position 1 sound?

Is position 3 standard PT-20?

Does any of the positions actually change the the sound or voicing of the amp...like giving it more of a Fender or Vox sound or whatever? Or does it just change the gain level while keeping the basic PT-20 sound?

How much does Friedman charge for the mod?

57Strat777":3nkeftdp said:
How does position 1 sound?

Is position 3 standard PT-20?

Does any of the positions actually change the the sound or voicing of the amp...like giving it more of a Fender or Vox sound or whatever? Or does it just change the gain level while keeping the basic PT-20 sound?

How much does Friedman charge for the mod?

The left position is medium-gain.
The middle Position is less gain (as I said like my trusty old JMP).
The right Position is the browneye mode - as the stock PT.

The voicing of the amp stays the same. The switch alters the gain content and structure.

I think the mod costs 150 USD, but I bought the amp including mod as a special run from a German dealer.

I know this is a really old thread, but I have an older PT-20 that I would love to do exactly this to! How would I go about getting this done?

Back