Can anyone explain how the Washburn Dime models got so expensive

frontline205

I can't for the life of me can't understand it. I mean don't get me wrong Dime is a legend and that's not a question what so ever, but his import Washburn's have really climbed up there. In 2015 I had a chance to get one for $300.00 all original with case, and now that same model I see listed at $3500.00. It's not like a IIC+ that was always legendary either. I mean people liked them, and I see why the USA Washburn's go for what they do, but do you guys get it. Maybe I'm just behind the times. I mean even they can't be that rare either because they're always for sale somewhere.

I mean the specs aren't exactly the greatest either. It's not like that stock Washburn trem, and pickups were spectacular.

Just like anything else..it's worth what someone will pay...that said $3500 is excessive....I could build 2 excellent Warmoths with BKPs and top notch hardware for that.

The USA models are pretty rare these days and collectors are investing $10k or more in some of the rarest. The imports are just being pulled up in value by proxy.

The USA models are pretty rare these days and collectors are investing $10k or more in some of the rarest. The imports are just being pulled up in value by proxy.
Yea, that makes sense. I get the USA Washburn's being what they're priced. Especially because I'm pretty sure they were built the same ways Dime's were, but the imports have worse specs than the Dean's.

Yea, that makes sense. I get the USA Washburn's being what they're priced. Especially because I'm pretty sure they were built the same ways Dime's were, but the imports have worse specs than the Dean's.
But there isn't a lot of the import or USA Washburn dimes out there either. Not like the import Dean dimes,which there are a lot of.
And some of the import washy dimes are far better built than the rest.
The boogie street and funky munky import runs are often very close to USA specs. Super collectable in runs of only 100.
And rarities or oddities like prototypes and limited run imports are sought after by the collectors/speculators.
And IMO Dean kinda ruined their rep when some of the first import dimes they made were sub-par in quality.
Dean was trying to rush the products out asap and had not gotten a hold on overseas QA yet.
I have(or had)a bunch of washy and dean dimes. I doubt the deans will hold value like the washys.

But there isn't a lot of the import or USA Washburn dimes out there either. Not like the import Dean dimes,which there are a lot of.
And some of the import washy dimes are far better built than the rest.
The boogie street and funky munky import runs are often very close to USA specs. Super collectable in runs of only 100.
And rarities or oddities like prototypes and limited run imports are sought after by the collectors/speculators.
And IMO Dean kinda ruined their rep when some of the first import dimes they made were sub-par in quality.
Dean was trying to rush the products out asap and had not gotten a hold on overseas QA yet.
I have(or had)a bunch of washy and dean dimes. I doubt the deans will hold value like the washys.
I do know the special edition one are rare I’ll give you that. I was mostly talking about the slime and lightning bolt Washburn. But I get you it’s been awhile since I played a Washburn dime

I'm sure it has a lot to do with his estate suing Dean. When shit like this happens, people think everything Dime is suddenly worth more. I understand we're talking Washburn here, but trust me, there's a link. I haven't looked, but I bet the Dean Dimebag models will get stupid expensive too, and called "pre-lawsuit". Fucking moronic people..

The Washy Dimes weren't made for all THAT long in the grand scheme of things

That coupled with Dime's death and Dean absolutely flooding the market with 10,000 Dime models ended up making the Washburn models way more desirable and harder to get, making the prices big big

Yea, I remember playing it and thinking it felt good. Its like the collector guitar I know where changing the stock pickups doesn't hurt its value

The Washy Dimes weren't made for all THAT long in the grand scheme of things

That coupled with Dime's death and Dean absolutely flooding the market with 10,000 Dime models ended up making the Washburn models way more desirable and harder to get, making the prices big big
I can agree there, and there's certainly less out there. Some people just get out of their minds with asking prices.

Look what happened when EVH died. Prices went THROUGH THE ROOF on guitars that are STILL CURRENT PRODUCTION. I suppose the fact that production wasn't in full swing, and many of the Wolfgang Specials were on back order, for instance, but what makes people think their value went up? Morons paying it.....That's what.. Some buyers have no patience, or brains.

Funny enough about 12 hours after making this post I might have a lead on a Lightening bolt dime for 1200 lol.

This is reviving an old thread but I also was asking myself why they’re so expensive.

I like the Washburn models a lot more than the Dean models especially the imports. I can’t afford a USA model so that’s out of the question for me. I found a Dime Slime for 1300 shipped from the Washburn Dime Facebook page (lots of deals around that price can be found there) but ended up passing on it bc I really couldn’t afford it. Last week I found a slightly dinged up Dime Slime 333 (Korean made) for 700 bucks shipped to me so I had to grab it. It was listed on reverb for 6 minutes when I bought it so I got extremely lucky. It’s structurally perfect but has some finish imperfections and has definitely been played a ton. Pickups don’t sound bad at all and the trem stays in tune pretty well (especially considering it’s an import designed by Floyd). I haven’t even had my tech set it up yet either so I imagine it will hold tune much better after a set up. I am going to swap pickups with real Bill Lawrence pickups and a Schaller Floyd with a brass block.

I definitely got lucky here but if anybody who really wants one of these guitars I would suggest finding that Facebook page asap. Lots of guys unload some of their collection (mostly their imports and cheaper ones) and they don’t overprice them to the degree you see on reverb. Sure 1K-1300 is more than they’re probably worth but that’s a lot better what you see on Reverb or EBay and you can guarantee their authentic bc these people live and breathe Washburn Dimes lol.

Back