can i connect my engl e530 preamp to a PA monitor?

Richard20

can i connect my engl e530 preamp to a PA monitor? do i use the line out? or the stereo headphone out on the front? i dont want to damage the mini poweramp inside .. i know it wont sound the same... i will try a poweramp and cab emulation ... anyway i just want to know if i can do that and how ... without damaging the mini poweramp :thumbsup: :rock: thanks!

By design, you should run the frequency compensated line out to a PA. That output has a frequency adjustments to try to mimic a speaker. They sound pretty terrible compared to any modern IR or cabinet emulator.

I would assume you can run the line out (that would normally connect to a poweramp) to a PA. It will sound like utter garbage (guitar speaker cabinets really are 80% of guitar tone).

Either way, you are running a line level signal to the PA. Just make sure to adjust the line level accordingly so the PA isn't clipping.

Your best bet is to find something that can run IRs. Run the line out into that (such as a Torpedo Live or DAW), then run that to the PA.

By design, you should run the frequency compensated line out to a PA. That output has a frequency adjustments to try to mimic a speaker. They sound pretty terrible compared to any modern IR or cabinet emulator.

I would assume you can run the line out (that would normally connect to a poweramp) to a PA. It will sound like utter garbage (guitar speaker cabinets really are 80% of guitar tone).

Either way, you are running a line level signal to the PA. Just make sure to adjust the line level accordingly so the PA isn't clipping.

Your best bet is to find something that can run IRs. Run the line out into that (such as a Torpedo Live or DAW), then run that to the PA.
Great advice here.

I gigged a 530 for a little while about 15 years ago (until I upgraded to the 570 SE pre), and I found it needed a warm tube power amp to tame some of the top end sizzle and give it some low end punch. I wouldn't have wanted to run it straight into the board, but that was in the days before IRs.

Best of luck with your setup, OP!

Back