Can I use the Fx return on a DSL as a power amp?

pjastper

Hi, need some advice here. I'm playing a show this weekend where the backline is 2 DSL halfstacks. I plan to use my own modded Marshall with the one cab. I was wondering if I used my splitter box between the amp and cab and ran a line level out to the fx return on one of the DSL's, will that function as a power amp on the other cab? Thanks!!

You might check to see if your preamp channel/mode selection has any effect on the poweramp section.
With Rectifiers it matters to some degree due to the negative feedback, or lack there-of.

I use the line out of my amp into the fx return of my other guitar playerxs amp all the time when he's not there. It sounds better than when he shows up!

My only question is how you plan on doing it. Are you using a DI box with a speaker pad to steal the output of your amp to send to another amp? If so, you might need an XLR to quarter inch adapter or cable, but that could work. What splitter box are you using?

Yup. One of the Maiden guitarists (Dave I think?) actually used DSL's this way as power amps in his live rig for years being fed by a JMP-1 preamp, probably preferred the tone to using a rack power amp.

I use the line out of my amp into the fx return of my other guitar playerxs amp all the time when he's not there. It sounds better than when he shows up!

My only question is how you plan on doing it. Are you using a DI box with a speaker pad to steal the output of your amp to send to another amp? If so, you might need an XLR to quarter inch adapter or cable, but that could work. What splitter box are you using?
Hi thanks for replying. I'm planning on using a Suhr line out box between my amp and the first cabinet.

Back