Can you guys see what's serial number of this recto??

Redneckstomp

Someone is selling his recto and cab set. I asked him serial number of recto. But, he refused to tell me. Maybe he thought I am a troll lol. I have rev g based tremoverb. So, I am not interested in rev g. From the picture(I know it is hard to see), serial number is like 9xx ish. That means this rev f right??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230910_110130_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230910_110130_Chrome.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 80
Detached power cable, parallel loop, “big” Mesa logo on the front of the amp? rev G, period. There are a few late exceptions, but those are few and far between.

My buddy has the very last rev F made according to Mesa and to fluffs documentation on them , number 3170 I believe. And it still had a series loop, small Mesa logo, and non detachable power cable m.

Detached power cable, parallel loop, “big” Mesa logo on the front of the amp? rev G, period. There are a few late exceptions, but those are few and far between.

My buddy has the very last rev F made according to Mesa and to fluffs documentation on them , number 3170 I believe. And it still had a series loop, small Mesa logo, and non detachable power cable m.
It seems like you have rev f. Are there noticeable differences between rev f and g?

I had a RevG with serial number R-800x and it still had the attached power cable. So this must be in the 9k serial number range

It seems like you have rev f. Are there noticeable differences between rev f and g?

Definitely. I could talk for hours about this and there is a lot of info out there on YouTube. To me the rev F, as cliche as it sounds, is the best of both worlds beteeen the rev C and G models. It has the big low end of the G, but also has the grind and aggression and tightness of the C. Definitely not the same as either, but it’s right in the middle of them to me. It’s my favorite of the revisions, although I’d love to have a rev C: I’m just sure as hell not paying for one right now! Haha

Definitely. I could talk for hours about this and there is a lot of info out there on YouTube. To me the rev F, as cliche as it sounds, is the best of both worlds beteeen the rev C and G models. It has the big low end of the G, but also has the grind and aggression and tightness of the C. Definitely not the same as either, but it’s right in the middle of them to me. It’s my favorite of the revisions, although I’d love to have a rev C: I’m just sure as hell not paying for one right now! Haha
Damn.. to me rev f is unicorn of an amp. One day I will grab it. I had herbert mk2 and mk3. They were nothing special to me. I prefer recto more than any diezels. I heard KSR stuffs are like recto, uber and soldano had a baby. If I can not get rev f, KSR Gemini will be my choice.

Remember that a G can be made into an F quite easily. I'm going to eventually mod my 95 G (#62xx) to F specs since I'd rather have the middle ground between C and G. I like fatter lows but would like the gain to compress and saturate more without having to crank the gain knob near max.

Also you can run a Mr. Scary hot-mod in the 2nd preamp tube position iirc. That will do something close to an F mod tone.

You 'might' see an F with the later loop; but no way you'd see an F with the detached power cord.

But, a G can be converted to C specs so I wouldn't pass on that IF it's a good price....That would give you a pretty different tone than your Tremoverb.

From someone who's had 2 F Triples, and 1 C Dual I'd definitely disagree on the F having the same tightness/aggression. Not in my experience. The Fs are killer, no doubt but the C, you can dime the lows and it gives you the perfect big low end, like where you would stop on the G before it gets bad/boomy. The mids, you can dime them and no honk. The F doesn't really approach the aggressiveness of the C from having both...the C really is king of any Recto Imo.

From someone who's had 2 F Triples, and 1 C Dual I'd definitely disagree on the F having the same tightness/aggression. Not in my experience. The Fs are killer, no doubt but the C, you can dime the lows and it gives you the perfect big low end, like where you would stop on the G before it gets bad/boomy. The mids, you can dime them and no honk. The F doesn't really approach the aggressiveness of the C from having both...the C really is king of any Recto Imo.
Same here.
The best balance I've found between the Rev C and G was the Rev E Rectifier, but still, if you must have one, the Rev C is the absolute perfect Rectifier.
By the way, my Rev C has a lot more low end then all the other revisions, including two Triple Rectifiers Rev F I've had. Where the Rev F and G(more in particular), gives you the impression of more low end, it's because they left all the low mids(around 300-400 hz), which you can't get rid off on those later versions, unless if you add a pedal to shape the EQ.
The Rev C tho, already have all the big low end thump, even more than the later versions, but without the woolly low mids of the later versions. Plus, the Rev C it's more aggressive and tighter.
The Rev E/F/G are amazing amps, that's why they are in so many of the rock/metal albums from the 90s, but, from someone who has experience with all of the revisions, they are no match for the Rev C.

Same here.
The best balance I've found between the Rev C and G was the Rev E Rectifier, but still, if you must have one, the Rev C is the absolute perfect Rectifier.
By the way, my Rev C has a lot more low end then all the other revisions, including two Triple Rectifiers Rev F I've had. Where the Rev F and G(more in particular), gives you the impression of more low end, it's because they left all the low mids(around 300-400 hz), which you can't get rid off on those later versions, unless if you add a pedal to shape the EQ.
The Rev C tho, already have all the big low end thump, even more than the later versions, but without the woolly low mids of the later versions. Plus, the Rev C it's more aggressive and tighter.
The Rev E/F/G are amazing amps, that's why they are in so many of the rock/metal albums from the 90s, but, from someone who has experience with all of the revisions, they are no match for the Rev C.
Definitely.

I would also add, that the biggest surprise was the HUGE power section push...very different than other Rectos that tend to mush up a bit when you turn up...this C felt like it was thumping like a Wizard or SLO...not quite to that level but not far off either.

Same here.
Agreed. For what I like at least the C is my overall favorite high gain amp. The Rev E is the one revision I haven’t tried, so for me the best in between of a G & C was the Rev D I had. Like you said, the Rev C actually has a bigger low end than the other Recto’s as well as even my Original version Uberschall, but those amps all have more low mids than the C, so I think guys mistakenly say those amps have more low end. You can physically feel the way those amps hit your body more around the low mid region, while the C hits more lower on the body lol. I find the extra aggression going on in the higher registers as well as the more connected/liquid feel and more complex tone of the C is what really sets it apart to me from later revision Recto’s. We can probably all agree it’s very overpriced, but I try to keep that out of the conversations for talking gear and just talk about gear without price being a factor in how good or bad it is

Last edited:
Definitely.

I would also add, that the biggest surprise was the HUGE power section push...very different than other Rectos that tend to mush up a bit when you turn up...this C felt like it was thumping like a Wizard or SLO...not quite to that level but not far off either.
That was one of the surprises for me too. I could get the tone itself of the D I had to be pretty close to the C except for the higher register not getting as aggressive or ripping, but the way the C put out in the powersection and more liquid feel and note connection were something the D and later rev’s really couldn’t do, although the D imo is still pretty damn good and also crossed the threshold to me of a recto that finally could get a great lead tone, even if not quite as good as the C for that

eh, to each his own I guess. I will say I did set up the rev C when I played one last vs my rev F, maybe that’s why I thought this? Who knows, I also generally always use a dirty tree upfront, which of course takes out all the low midrange garbage of the later revisions. The C’s are killer no doubt about it. I’ve never played a D or an E revision either, they are probably I’m guessing much closer to a C.

The C’s are killer no doubt about it. I’ve never played a D or an E revision either, they are probably I’m guessing much closer to a C.
E can get super bright and tight. Ton of fun. I don’t think I’ll ever bite on a c again unless prices drastically crash. As you know the Fs and earlier have that orange channel that Mesa just still hasn’t got right to this day. Not really sure why either…

If I want a different flavor I use the hermansson single I got with the tightness knobs. Sounds wild. Talk about TIGHT low end that’ll shake the entire house.

E can get super bright and tight. Ton of fun. I don’t think I’ll ever bite on a c again unless prices drastically crash. As you know the Fs and earlier have that orange channel that Mesa just still hasn’t got right to this day. Not really sure why either…

If I want a different flavor I use the hermansson single I got with the tightness knobs. Sounds wild. Talk about TIGHT low end that’ll shake the entire house.
Yeah I guess I should’ve clarified that I only use the orange ch on my Recto’s. I find the red ch bland and smooth for my taste. I actually may even slightly prefer the red ch on the D I had and the Triple Rev F/C I still have. Orange is the only reason I’m a big recto fan. Nothing else has that iconic throaty growl and Mike B didn’t really imho capture it even with the C mod on my Rev F Triple, although the green mode is now quite good

I’ve got a Herm modded single and Rev G as well. Nothing else IME besides other Herm’s or Dino can remotely compete with those in the tightness department LOL, but I feel they as result also sacrifice the growl and richness of tone of the stock Recto’s, but like you said just another great flavor to play with that maintains some of the recto qualities in there

eh, to each his own I guess. I will say I did set up the rev C when I played one last vs my rev F, maybe that’s why I thought this? Who knows, I also generally always use a dirty tree upfront, which of course takes out all the low midrange garbage of the later revisions. The C’s are killer no doubt about it. I’ve never played a D or an E revision either, they are probably I’m guessing much closer to a C.
The D imo was like a good middle ground between the 2, maybe a little closer to the C, although to be perfectly honest I couldn’t really see a reason to choose the revisions after D if price weren’t a factor, but I get it, they got stupidly priced (haven’t tried an E though). Some may want richer low mids than the C and less aggressive, so the D has that going for it. The boosts tend to I guess homogenize the differences in various amps. The C is the one recto where for some riffs it could get away without a boost. Couldn’t get that with other Recto’s when a certain level of tightness is needed

Back