Captor X 8 ohm unit. Can I run it if I'm using 2 8 ohm cabs?

kmanick

I've been using my Captor X 8ohm with my Splawn running one 8 ohm cab into it and going FOX at the same time. Works great.
I really like to run 2 cabs and mine are both 8 ohms, so I switch my Splawn down to 4 ohms and I'm good to go.
will this damage the Captor X or my amp?

So I take it you run your 2 x 8 ohm cabs in parallel for 4 ohms. As per the Faqs:

Using the Torpedo Captor X with a 4 or 16 Ohms cabinet
When you use the Captor X, here are the different impedance behaviour in regards to the use of the attenuator:

1. VOLUME LEVEL on FULL position: the attenuator is bypassed. The output acts as a THROUGH output. The impedance shown to your amp is the cabinet's impedance. You are advised to use the corresponding output of your amp, in this case. (16 ohms output in the case of a 16 ohms cabinet.)

Check out this link:
https://support.two-notes.com/knowledgebase.php?article=356

great thank you, I'm not using the attenuator at all in this scenario, I just want to be able to use the FOH ability of the unit
so it sounds like I can do this no problem as long as I leave the attenuation level on Full. I guess I could do this with a 16 ohm 4X12 as well correct? as long I don't use the attenuation?

Hello @kmanick

Your whole setup consists of 8 ohms cabinets and load box. If you use the attenuator or not, your amp will always be seeing an 8 ohms load on the line that includes the Captor X. When you will be using 2 8 Ohms cabinets (with one Captor X with one cab) with your Splawn amp, put the amp on the 4 Ohms impedance setting.

Hello.Dilan.There is a issue about your reply.The manual said,when VOLUME LEVEL on FULL position: the attenuator is bypassed.Bypassed should mean that the attenuation does not have any effect, but according to your reply, ATT will still work even in the case of full volume. Which one is wrong, the manual or your reply?
你好 @kmanick

您的全部设置由 8 个欧姆机柜和打包箱组成。无论您是否使用衰减器,您的整体功能都在包括 Captor X 的线路上可见 8 个欧姆负载。当您将 2 2 个欧姆机柜(Captor X 和附加箱)。一个驾驶室)与 Splawn 放大器一起使用时,将扩大设置 4 层外壳。

你好 @ashbone - 如果我能帮到你,请告诉我。
你好,迪兰
I just have some doubts about your reply. The manual shows: When the shift is in the full volume position, CAPTOR X will be bypassed. Literally, bypassing, the ATT will not work, which means that the impedance seen by the AMP is cabinet. When the signal is AMP-CAPTORX(FULL)-CABINET, if I connect a 4 ohm CABINET, then AMP should also choose 4 ohm output, this is the meaning of bypass (there is no CAPTOR X impedance). But in your reply, whether you use an attenuator or not, AMP will see the CAPTOR X 8 ohm impedance, which means that when you choose the FULL position, AMP will still see an 8 ohm impedance (CAPTOR X). Then there is no bypass. Which one got it wrong? manual? still you?

Hello @ashbone - in my reply to @kmanick , what is say is that his whole rig has 8 Ohms elements. The cabinets and the Captor X are all 8 Ohms. So, whatever the position of the VOLUME LEVEL switch in that setup, the amp will always see a 8 Ohms load on the speaker output that is connected to the Captor X and the cabinet.

If the cabinet was 16 Ohms, the attenuator being active or not is important in regards to the impedance seen by the amp.

你好 @ashbone - 在我对 @kmanick 的回复中,他的整个装备有 8 欧姆元件。机柜和 Captor X 都是 8 欧姆。因此,无论 VOLUME LEVEL 开关在该设置中的位置如何,放大器将始终在连接到 Captor X 和箱体的扬声器输出上看到 8 欧姆负载。

如果箱体为 16 欧姆,衰减器是否处于活动状态对于放大器看到的阻抗很重要。
I see.thank you Dilan,maybe i got it wrong.

kmnick he want to use 2 8ohm cabinet.Under normal circumstances, two 8 ohm cabinets are connected together, and in parallel, the impedance is 4 ohm. This is why you recommend plugging into the 4ohm jack.

If it is in the full state (bypassing at this time), the impedance seen by the amplifier is the impedance of 2 cabinets in parallel (4ohm). If the ATT is active, that is, the shift is in the middle or the lowest position, it should be connected to the 8ohm jack of the amplifier, and the amplifier only sees the impedance of the captor x. Am I right to understand this way?
Connecting a 4 ohm cabinet behind the 8 ohm Captor X will not have any adverse effect on the Captor X, does it?

if you do not use the attenuation , no it will not, now this is the info I got from Two notes directly (like pulling teeth to get a straight answer but I finally got one). the attenuation is sensitive to ohm input/output

Hi guys,

Ross from Two notes here - sorry to hear there has been some confusion here; i have relayed this to the team as I think this will make a great support article! Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Back