captor x ohm question

imzadimark

I am thinking about snagging an 8 ohm captor x. I have 4 heads with switchable ohm setting, but one thats static at 16 ohms. I want to use this live as well with an 8ohm 2x12. Ohm ratings have always been a mystery to me. Could I run my 16 ohm head into the 8 ohm captorx or am I asking for trouble? Also possibly looking at the Suhr RL w ir. So same question for that as well. If i have to sacrifice using the 16ohm head to safely use with the 2x12, i woukd rather do than than other way around.
Thanks all

Asking for trouble. Matching impedances is kinda critical - more so for some amps than others - but it is considered critical. It's *sometimes* okay to have a greater load (cab) than the amp is set to (please never quote me on saying this as I am against it 100% of the way in the advice department) ie: 16ohm cab with an amp's 8ohm outs - the load is greater than the amp's out. I believe (remember that caveat disclaimer above), the reverse is hell for the amp as it's wound up at the OT level to provide push into the load. If the head only puts out 16ohm and it sees half that, the OTs gonna blitz - it's like firehose pressure meeting a garden hose - won't work - whereas a garden hose can be pushed into a firehose, not ideal, but it can work.

Back