Captor X Signal Chain Question?

Anxiety Serum

Looking at the Captor X to record my amp without micing my cabinet.

Just want to make sure I understand all that I will need. How does this device work with a DAW or does it have its own?

Is it amp>Captor>computer (via USB) if so how do you get it to talk to DAW?

or is it Amp>Captor>Audio Interface (via what?) and again how does the DAW talk to the cabinet software?

Hi @Anxiety Serum ,

Ross from Two notes here! Thanks for getting in touch. The Captor X is a great solution for your recording needs! There is no built in Audio Interface so connectivity would be Amp>Captor>Audio Interface>Computer.

Then in your DAW you would simply need to select the appropriate channel from your Audio Interface that the Captor X is connected to and record arm your track. If you want to change cabinets on the Captor X, you can do so via Bluetooth on your Phone / Tablet and our Torpedo Remote app.

However, there is a nifty feature that can really help you out when recording! The Torpedo Captor X allows for different routings of the 2 XLR outputs. They can be set to STEREO or to DUAL/MONO. The latter is the mode you will want! To change routing, click on the purple button above the output level knob in Torpedo Remote. When the Bypass button is activated on the Right output channel in Torpedo Remote, the whole Torpedo process is bypassed. The Right XLR output is sending the dry amp sound. This is an ideal setup when you wish to record your amp. You will record/monitor the full cab sim signal from the Left XLR output, while at the same time recording the dry amp sound from the Right XLR output. You can then use our Wall of Sound Software (free when you buy a Captor X) to apply our cabinet simulation to your Dry sound in post - perfect for really honing your tone for your mix-down!

Cool right? :)

Hi @Anxiety Serum ,

Ross from Two notes here! Thanks for getting in touch. The Captor X is a great solution for your recording needs! There is no built in Audio Interface so connectivity would be Amp>Captor>Audio Interface>Computer.

Then in your DAW you would simply need to select the appropriate channel from your Audio Interface that the Captor X is connected to and record arm your track. If you want to change cabinets on the Captor X, you can do so via Bluetooth on your Phone / Tablet and our Torpedo Remote app.

However, there is a nifty feature that can really help you out when recording! The Torpedo Captor X allows for different routings of the 2 XLR outputs. They can be set to STEREO or to DUAL/MONO. The latter is the mode you will want! To change routing, click on the purple button above the output level knob in Torpedo Remote. When the Bypass button is activated on the Right output channel in Torpedo Remote, the whole Torpedo process is bypassed. The Right XLR output is sending the dry amp sound. This is an ideal setup when you wish to record your amp. You will record/monitor the full cab sim signal from the Left XLR output, while at the same time recording the dry amp sound from the Right XLR output. You can then use our Wall of Sound Software (free when you buy a Captor X) to apply our cabinet simulation to your Dry sound in post - perfect for really honing your tone for your mix-down!

Cool right? :)
Thanks Ross.

Forgive me but I am new to the home recording game and have limited knowledge. So a few clarification questions.

So do you run two cables to the audio interface in that situation?
Is the recording housed in the DAW? If so then how do you manipulate it in post...is the Wall of Sound a DAW plug in or is it managed through the Remote App and the DAW and Remote app or somehow linked?

Thanks again.

Hi @Anxiety Serum ,

No problem at all - happy to help here!

You would indeed; ideally you would monitor the "Wet" signal for recording your take; you would then use your "Dry" signal for mixing with our Wall of Sound Software.

Is the recording housed in the DAW? If so then how do you manipulate it in post...is the Wall of Sound a DAW plug in or is it managed through the Remote App and the DAW and Remote app or somehow linked?
Wall of Sound is a plugin so you should be able to load this on your DAW's track as an effect insert. Here's some more info: https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-series/torpedo-wall-of-sound/

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Kind regards

Ross

Hi @Anxiety Serum ,

No problem at all - happy to help here!

You would indeed; ideally you would monitor the "Wet" signal for recording your take; you would then use your "Dry" signal for mixing with our Wall of Sound Software.

Wall of Sound is a plugin so you should be able to load this on your DAW's track as an effect insert. Here's some more info: https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-series/torpedo-wall-of-sound/

Kind regards

Ross
Thanks I think I understand the signal path much better now.

Is the plugin compatible with the Cakewalk by Bandlab DAW?

Hi @Anxiety Serum

I'm so glad to hear this has helped.

Cakewalk by BandLab includes VST instruments and VST audio effects, while also allowing for 3rd party VSTs to be used within the program - so, just make sure you download the VST plugin from the Wall of Sound Page, log in with your Two notes User Credentials and all of your cabs will be there for you to use. :)

Ross

Hi @Anxiety Serum

I'm so glad to hear this has helped.

Cakewalk by BandLab includes VST instruments and VST audio effects, while also allowing for 3rd party VSTs to be used within the program - so, just make sure you download the VST plugin from the Wall of Sound Page, log in with your Two notes User Credentials and all of your cabs will be there for you to use. :)

Ross
FYI - Just ordered one today. Thanks again.

I take it it works with other DAWs too, from Reaper to Pro Tools?

Back