Changing out speakers in an old Diezel Cab. (Is it worth it?)

MesaSean

Hi folks, please see my set up for now. (Mesa Roadster coming soon. I have major Boogie GAS right now and honestly... I feel the VHX is the only diezel I will ever need. It is everything I want in a diezel)

I always had the cab on the right for years. A Rear Loaded Diezel cab from around 2007 with Vintage 30's. (I opened up the back) When I got the VHX I felt the cab was too flubby or boomy so I checked out the specs then bought a brand new 2022 Front Loaded Diezel cab with G12-100's.

Oh my word... the new front loaded cab with G12's sounds SOOOO amazing. So focused and tight. Love it to death my VHX. (I play mostly metallica fanboy stuff and my own songs which are pseudo metal/rock)

I just got the Mesa Mark VII and was using it with the rear loaded cab and it sounded ok. Then I switched it over the new Diezel and BOOM totally came to life. For those who don't know... they have a new mode called Mark VII mode which is like a hybrid Recto mode... so you need a focused tight cab or boost. The FR Diezel cab made it sounds amazing.

So I am thinking this...if I change the V30's to G12-100's will I hear and feel the same response as my new front loaded Diezel cab? I'd hate to sell it and have to buy a new one when I could just buy the G12-100's and sell the V30's on reverb or something.

OR

Is it not worth it because rear loaded cabs are not has tight/focused as the front loaded. I know nothing about cab builds or which one is good for what other then what @Peter Diezel put on his website. :)

Thanks for reading!

IMG_3866.JPG

You could modify the RL cab, and take out two V30s, and replace them with K100s in an x-pattern.
I'll buy your two V30s, if they are 16 ohm.

But if you want the same exact sound, sell your RL cab and buy another FL cab with K100s

Hey folks... I found a local buyer. Just going to sell it and buy another FR G12-100 cab for my Mesa's. I have a Roadster coming and that thing needs a tighter cab for sure. To go with the Mesa's I want the Mesa cab for the looks lol but I think I may not jive with their V30 cabs as they are also rear loaded I believe. I am so used to the focus of the Diezel FR cab. So tight for metal chugs.

Hey folks... I found a local buyer. Just going to sell it and buy another FR G12-100 cab for my Mesa's. I have a Roadster coming and that thing needs a tighter cab for sure. To go with the Mesa's I want the Mesa cab for the looks lol but I think I may not jive with their V30 cabs as they are also rear loaded I believe. I am so used to the focus of the Diezel FR cab. So tight for metal chugs.
IN MY EXPERIENCE (YMMV) Roadsters and G12K-100s did not go well together. The K85/K100 is one of my favorite speakers but there are some amps that it just doesn't jive with (it also was terrible with a Marshall 2203).

Roadsters (and Rectos in general) seem to really be voiced for Vintage 30's. And I hate V30's for just about any other amp.

IN MY EXPERIENCE (YMMV) Roadsters and G12K-100s did not go well together. The K85/K100 is one of my favorite speakers but there are some amps that it just doesn't jive with (it also was terrible with a Marshall 2203).

Roadsters (and Rectos in general) seem to really be voiced for Vintage 30's. And I hate V30's for just about any other amp.
Hmm decisions.

So I think I'll get try the Roadster and see how it sounds with the G12-100's. If I don't dig I'll get a recto cab.

Question.. what was it about the combo you did not like?

Also would you suggest a "traditional" (or is that the smaller Mesa 4X12?) over the over sized Recto cab?

Hi folks, please see my set up for now. (Mesa Roadster coming soon. I have major Boogie GAS right now and honestly... I feel the VHX is the only diezel I will ever need. It is everything I want in a diezel)

I always had the cab on the right for years. A Rear Loaded Diezel cab from around 2007 with Vintage 30's. (I opened up the back) When I got the VHX I felt the cab was too flubby or boomy so I checked out the specs then bought a brand new 2022 Front Loaded Diezel cab with G12-100's.

Oh my word... the new front loaded cab with G12's sounds SOOOO amazing. So focused and tight. Love it to death my VHX. (I play mostly metallica fanboy stuff and my own songs which are pseudo metal/rock)

I just got the Mesa Mark VII and was using it with the rear loaded cab and it sounded ok. Then I switched it over the new Diezel and BOOM totally came to life. For those who don't know... they have a new mode called Mark VII mode which is like a hybrid Recto mode... so you need a focused tight cab or boost. The FR Diezel cab made it sounds amazing.

So I am thinking this...if I change the V30's to G12-100's will I hear and feel the same response as my new front loaded Diezel cab? I'd hate to sell it and have to buy a new one when I could just buy the G12-100's and sell the V30's on reverb or something.

OR

Is it not worth it because rear loaded cabs are not has tight/focused as the front loaded. I know nothing about cab builds or which one is good for what other then what @Peter Diezel put on his website. :)

Thanks for reading!

View attachment 179644
Hi Sean, I sold a Traditional for a FL with K100s for my VH4. I have to say that the first thing I noticed was the huuge low end those speakers had. But I found it too sterile for my taste. So I ended up selling'em for 4 V30s, a UK '99, a UK 2001 and 2 chinese which are not overly bright. The cab sounds incredible but I'm thinking to sell it for a Mesa OS or a RL. Was it really flubby? My fear, trading my FL for an RL, is to have the same honkyness I had with the Traditional.

You talking about this speaker?

https://celestion.com/product/g12k-100/

If so there's so much more 2-4000hz vs most other speakers that if you dropped this into a toilet and it'll have the bite Metal guitarists like.

4 of these will have a big treble difference, an X like mentioned would be a cool mix with V30s.

Back