Channel Volume vs Master Volume

• Thread starter Deleted member 23705
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23705

I'm still learning how to dial-in the VHX. How do you guys typically set the volume levels on your Diezels?

I've asked @Leo Diezel this same question and he likes the channel volumes around 50% (12 o'clock) and the master volume a quarter of the way up (depending on volume).

I've seen some people recommend running the master high and setting the channel volumes to taste. But I've also read a few other responses where people would run the channel volumes high and then have the master low.

What are the differences in tone?

Quite a good question and I think a lot of posts around this topic already on the forum. I haven't tried this on the VHX so far (still on IR at home) for the VH4 in combination with full Musicians around I personally prefer to have the Channel volume not lower than 11 o clock, rather reduce the master at that point in time, below 9 o clock, I personally have the feeling that amp losing "livingness", having said this, for me its difficult to run the VH4 on lower volume than Channel to 11, Master to 9, but would still prefer to lower the master than the Channel Volume in that case.... (and the amp still sounds great at bedroom level, just not as good as it could be)...

Low master volume and high channel volume will give you a brighter and tighter sound, with a bit more compression as well.

A lower channel volume and higher master volume is darker, less compressed and more dynamic
Leo:

I was asking this question elsewhere and then found this board and figured it would be more appropriate here.

On a VH2 does one volume switch activate the power tubes more?

With an amp that has one master per channel, I know opening it up activates the power tubes, vs. the gain switch which activates the pre-amp tubes. But I wasn't sure how exactly a 2nd Global master worked vs. the channel master. Do they hit the same part of the signal or is 1 Pre and the other Post some part of the circuit?

Basically trying to understand the mechanics (or should I say the electronics) of it.

Leo:

I was asking this question elsewhere and then found this board and figured it would be more appropriate here.

On a VH2 does one volume switch activate the power tubes more?

With an amp that has one master per channel, I know opening it up activates the power tubes, vs. the gain switch which activates the pre-amp tubes. But I wasn't sure how exactly a 2nd Global master worked vs. the channel master. Do they hit the same part of the signal or is 1 Pre and the other Post some part of the circuit?

Basically trying to understand the mechanics (or should I say the electronics) of it.
Master 1 and 2 are exactly the same and act like a master volume boost.
Technically there is a relay that activate one or the other pot but at similar setting the resulting tone will be the same

Master 1 and 2 are exactly the same and act like a master volume boost.
Technically there is a relay that activate one or the other pot but at similar setting the resulting tone will be the same
Thanks Leo. Just to clarify. I was referring to the channel volume vs. the master volume switch as opposed to master 1&2.

Where do the channel and master come in the circuit and do the attenuate the output in the same way or differently?

Thanks again.

As well, Diezels tend to sound best with lower to moderate output pickups - just as an aside.
I've got two Les Paul, 1 with dimarzio super distortion in bridge and a super 3 in neck, the other with a burstbucker pro in both locations.

The higher output super distortion/S3 sound fantastic too me and better in my opinion on the VH2 than the more moderate BBs. Both sound great, but the SD is considered high output so don't give up on those.

Never tried a active pickup, so that may be different.

Thanks Leo. Just to clarify. I was referring to the channel volume vs. the master volume switch as opposed to master 1&2.

Where do the channel and master come in the circuit and do the attenuate the output in the same way or differently?

Thanks again.
Sorry I misunderstood!
Yes it's a bit different, channel volume comes before LOOP, master after.

Master acts a little bit on bass response, the more the master the more the bass, while volume more on the highs.

So at same level:
More channel volume less master volume means a slighly tighter and compressed sound
More Master volume less channel volume means a fuller, more dynamic sound

Sorry I misunderstood!

Master acts a little bit on bass response, the more the master the more the bass, while volume more on the highs.

So at same level:
More channel volume less master volume means a slighly tighter and compressed sound
Fantastic explanation.. thanks again..

Sorry I misunderstood!

So at same level:
That’s pretty versatile!!

Back