Charvel 2021 Lineup...

Meh.... every year they just seem to cut corners. Very little option with gloss paint. no more 1/4 sawn necks. Poor QA and lots of tuning issues on their DK24 2PT models. They are releasing some Japan models but they are not with the same MIJ specs that made the MIJ populate. Basically MIJ to MIM specs at double the price. If you played a 2013-2014 MIM compared to a newer one, it’s night and day. You will get a much better made guitar with the New line of EVH 5150 guitars.

Meh.... every year they just seem to cut corners. Very little option with gloss paint. no more 1/4 sawn necks. Poor QA and lots of tuning issues on their DK24 2PT models. They are releasing some Japan models but they are not with the same MIJ specs that made the MIJ populate. Basically MIJ to MIM specs at double the price. If you played a 2013-2014 MIM compared to a newer one, it’s night and day. You will get a much better made guitar with the New line of EVH 5150 guitars.

I'm underwhelmed in terms of the look and price. Greenie seems pretty cool. Raising the price like they did puts me off when the QC lately seems to be inconsistent.

I would likely jump all over a 2013-2014, but I love easy access truss rod adjustments so head or wheel is preferred over taking off the neck. Call me lazy, I'm ok with that.

Stainless has very little impact on price, maybe 25-40 dollars. As a person that’s owned them since 2007, I actually prefer nickel frets tonally

100% SS frets do not add that much more. I too have them on most my guitars and love them. Some luthiers will charge quite a bit more if they have challenges with them.

I'm underwhelmed in terms of the look and price. Greenie seems pretty cool. Raising the price like they did puts me off when the QC lately seems to be inconsistent.

I would likely jump all over a 2013-2014, but I love easy access truss rod adjustments so head or wheel is preferred over taking off the neck. Call me lazy, I'm ok with that.

100% SS frets do not add that much more. I too have them on most my guitars and love them. Some luthiers will charge quite a bit more if they have challenges with them.
to be honest, I rarely have to adjust a 1/4 sawn neck. The graphite rods and easy adjust truss are necessary on these wonkeynsawn necks.

Some of those guitars had me excited until I saw that they had gotohs instead of floyds.

Interesting. Arent' Gotoh Floyd's supposed to be pretty good vs. OFR or am I thinking Schaller Floyds?
to be honest, I rarely have to adjust a 1/4 sawn neck. The graphite rods and easy adjust truss are necessary on these wonkeynsawn necks.

Yeah. There's a 2013 in our area FS that I really like, but I'd have to play it first. No wheel being a 2013. It's a gamble compared to my 2017 which I like well enough.

I agree with some of the other posts. The quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few of the new models look good to me but in the last 5 years or so I just haven't played a MIM Charvel that has clicked. They all just seemed lifeless.

If I wanted a Charvel I would just go with a Chubtone. Great guitars with attention to detail if you like the more old school Charvel designs.

Reactions: PDC
Interesting. Arent' Gotoh Floyd's supposed to be pretty good vs. OFR or am I thinking Schaller Floyds?

Yeah. There's a 2013 in our area FS that I really like, but I'd have to play it first. No wheel being a 2013. It's a gamble compared to my 2017 which I like well enough.
I think he’s referring to the 2PT strat type bridge, that’s the Gotoh 510 ironically there probably more expensive that the Korean Floyds

I was hoping for some Floyd-equipped Style 2's. Looking for one used has been a chore.. They sure don't pop up often!

Why would the quality oj the EVH be better, they're built at the same factory in Mexico?

I agree with some of the other posts. The quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore. A few of the new models look good to me but in the last 5 years or so I just haven't played a MIM Charvel that has clicked. They all just seemed lifeless.

I agree with you.
I owned one in 09 and liked it alot. Then last year I bought a 2019 that I didn't care for at all. Imo, it was a noticeable difference.

I’m not a buyer. I hate any guitar made these days with that blade selector switch. All of the manufacturers seem to have it in the same place. ?‍♂️

Back