Charvel San Dimas style 2 truss rod replacement

Briman24

I recently bought a charvel san dimas style 2 used locally with a broken truss rod for very cheap. ($400).
I heated up the neck and seperated the fretboard from the neck carefully and was successful. I was worried about cracking or breaking the thin part under the nut but managed to do it.
I put in a dual action truss rod but it was 9mm longer than the one that was in there. Spoke wheel rods come in 460 or 440. So i extended the channel by 9 mm and everything went well and the guitar plays great again etc
But I created another problem lol because now the guitar neck dives because of the extended part or the rod is heavier. So no i am going to put some bb's in a bag and secure them in the volume and tone pocket.

Attachments

• 20210214_193603.jpg
    20210214_193603.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 173
Nice job on the repair...but that little of weight change caused a neck dive? That's kind of surprising. And how many bb's in a bag will you have to put in the cavity to balance it? 100 bb's is 34 grams. 6 quarters weighs about the same.

Nice job on the repair...but that little of weight change caused a neck dive? That's kind of surprising. And how many bb's in a bag will you have to put in the cavity to balance it? 100 bb's is 34 grams. 6 quarters weighs about the same.
Thank Japetus. I am hoping to use bb' or pellets. Or maybe a big nut or bolt. I think about half a pound will work more or less.
When i bought the guitar, the guy had the neck off and when he handed it to me I said to myself....wow this feels heavy. But i asked two other guys that own the same guitar and they both said their neck doesn't dive.
I think the extra length channel going towards the headstock caused it and maybe my rod is a bit heavier but i never noticed it or checked for it before installing. Too late now lol...
The body is ash which is pretty light also...
Will post update if i come up with solution.
My old Gibson SG used to neck dive also. So uncomfortable to play for me. I used a rough suade guitar strap to help it not dive as easily.

The block should not require any neck shim. Buy the correct size fat brass block, likely a 32mm
It already has a 32 in it. If you shim the neck in the heel area, it will angle the neck slightly, you would then need to raise the floyd up. Even doing this, i am not sure the 42 would fit. The 37 probably would but the weight difference between it and the 32 is not enough.
I couldn't find anything to fit securely in the pots cavity so i have decided to put my suade guitar strap on it and it helps.

It already has a 32 in it. If you shim the neck in the heel area, it will angle the neck slightly, you would then need to raise the floyd up. Even doing this, i am not sure the 42 would fit. The 37 probably would but the weight difference between it and the 32 is not enough.
I couldn't find anything to fit securely in the pots cavity so i have decided to put my suade guitar strap on it and it helps.
They make fatter brass blocks that are still 32mm.
Floyd Rose Fat Brass Block Electric Guitar Bridge, 32 mm (FROFTB32) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00979RZIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BA2Z1R63XCNVGCHAWESG

They make fatter brass blocks that are still 32mm.
Floyd Rose Fat Brass Block Electric Guitar Bridge, 32 mm (FROFTB32) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00979RZIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BA2Z1R63XCNVGCHAWESG
I just received my 32mm fat brass block today. It has a p65 cancer warning sticker on the floyd rose packaging. I was like what the heck is this and googled it. It's a California safety advisory. So I guess there is lead in the block.
Never see that here in Montreal before.

I just received my 32mm fat brass block today. It has a p65 cancer warning sticker on the floyd rose packaging. I was like what the heck is this and googled it. It's a California safety advisory. So I guess there is lead in the block.
Never see that here in Montreal before.
Unfortunately in the US there has to be a warning label on everything due to idiots and lawsuits. Now there will be a warning on glue advising you not to use it in your hair thanks to imbeciles.

Unfortunately in the US there has to be a warning label on everything due to idiots and lawsuits. Now there will be a warning on glue advising you not to use it in your hair thanks to imbeciles.
Lol yeah but we have plenty of imbeciles in Canada too.😁

Back