Check out my band's debut Album - Code001 and myself - Melodic Death Metal (In Flames, BDM, At the Gates, etc..)

vultures

I met Code001 / Tommy on HC and RT years ago. I messaged him about mixing advice and we ended up writing stuff together. Several years later, we're still buds and still writing. We finally decided to release our material into one big album. Sound-wise we're both heavily influenced by In Flames, At the Gates, Black Dahlia Murder, Dark Tranquility and Disarmonia Mundi. Tommy holds influences to a ton of other bands and guitarists like Kalmah, Galneryus, Amon Amarth, a2c which you can hear in a lot of these leads. My rhythm riffs are heavily inspired by Opeth, BDM and In Flames.

Any support is appreciated, at the very least giving it a listen would be awesome. We've talked gear so much the past 18 years on these forums, it's nice to actually post some music. The band name is The Ealdorman and the album is "Ouroboros". It's available on bandcamp, itunes, apple music, google music, spotify and every other major platform.

Direct Link to the Album on Bandcamp

Here's a breakdown of the gear used in the album. Code001 / Tommy recorded, mixed and mastered everything. I'm sure he'll jump in here and post pics of gear.
  • Rhythm Guitar: Ibanez RGA121 with EMG 81 / EMG 85
  • Lead Guitar: ESP M-II NTB with 57 / 66
  • Clean Guitar: Caparison Angelus HGS with BKP Miracle Mans split coils
  • Acoustic Guitar: Taylor 514ce with ES2 and SM57 blend into Apollo 8
  • Bass: SubMission Audio EuroBass III
  • Drums: Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 Death & Darkness
  • Rhythm Amp: STL Tonality Josh Middleton. 5150 + Recto Blend
  • Lead Amp: STL Tonality Josh Middleton XXX
  • Clean Amp: Mercuriall Reaxis
  • Vocals: SM7B into Volt 176
  • Interface: Apollo 8 TB2 with TB3 Card
  • DI Box: CountryMan Type 85
  • Computer: 2018 MacBook Pro
  • DAW: Logic Pro X
  • Cables: Mogami with Neutrik Ends
  • Picks: Dunlop Jazz III
  • Strings: D’Addario EXL117 11-56, D’Addario 13-56 80/20 EJ12

It's a really good job.. writing, performing, mixing, and SD3 programming. The type of music lends itself well to samples because it is very busy and the cymbals and hits don't stand out as much. Sad for session drummers.. as a drummer, I can program a realistic beat and I suspect this is becoming the norm now.

Who mixed it and what was the chain for mixing it? Any hardware or all DAW and plugins?

It's a really good job.. writing, performing, mixing, and SD3 programming. The type of music lends itself well to samples because it is very busy and the cymbals and hits don't stand out as much. Sad for session drummers.. as a drummer, I can program a realistic beat and I suspect this is becoming the norm now.

Who mixed it and what was the chain for mixing it? Any hardware or all DAW and plugins?
I was probably listening to too much Archspire and Infant Annihilator when I was writing these haha. I definitely am not pretending to be a drummer. Doing what I can with the resources I got.

All in the box. Waves, PA, FabFilter, Logic, etc. Nothing too special. No Slate on this mix since I didn't feel like renewing my sub. I did try the Joel Wanasek Bus Glue stuff to see how it would work out, and it seemed pretty solid so I left them in during the final bounces.

I was probably listening to too much Archspire and Infant Annihilator when I was writing these haha. I definitely am not pretending to be a drummer. Doing what I can with the resources I got.

All in the box. Waves, PA, FabFilter, Logic, etc. Nothing too special. No Slate on this mix since I didn't feel like renewing my sub. I did try the Joel Wanasek Bus Glue stuff to see how it would work out, and it seemed pretty solid so I left them in during the final bounces.

You did a good job mixing that and balancing things.. i suspect a lot of studios can't keep business either because people are getting better and better with daws and plugins. It def has a strong In Flames vibe. No issue there, love them ( or their older stuff anyway before all the nu'er metalling)

IMG_CCC5208D9F91-1.jpeg

Gonna use this album when getting ready/driving into work tomorrow! Shit sounds sick so far!!!

Code001 is a good rig-talker. I picked up the term “slut banging metal” from him many moons ago. Great to see you, Code001
Hahaha, hell yeah man! Long time to chat, bro! Yeah, I tried explaining what "slut banging metal" is to my wife a long time ago, and she never seems to get it. It's always the same, "it all sounds the same," response or something. :LOL:

We wrestled with the idea of bringing in a session drummer. I had a little bit of rainy day money I was saving to hire Hannes Grossman. At the end of the day we decided to keep it much more personal and have it be us two dudes just dude'ing around. Just two amigos against the world. If the stars aligned and this got popular, maybe we could write stuff with a drummer in the future.

Back