Comfy home studio/bat cave thread.

N

Nigel

Post 'em lads.
fullsizeoutput_655.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_65b.jpeg

That blessed plexiglass window gives me 30+ feet between the bookshelf diffusers behind me and the end of my den, which provides a bay window into my back yard. A moonroof over my listening position give me an extra 5' above my 8' ceiling. Still, the Focals' mid woofers are under the half way point, even on their IsoAcoustic stands. Devil's in the details, especially in this little box! I don't subscribe to "small driver for small room" philosophy, I like headroom and low bass. Yamaha YST-SW150 sub is in the window with drivers in the center for imaging and the fact that the floor is raised hardwood, which is vibe-y as FUCK but MAN it gets excited! Since this is mostly for writing/jamming/good times it makes sense, all that clinical shit I leave for someone else.

IMG_0609.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ridiculous!

I love wood, period. I wood(!) feel so-at-home there it's not funny. :worship:

You should see my crappy room complete with legacy falling-apart turquoise carpet. I'm renting; what can you do? :confused: :LOL:

I rent this 2,000 sq ft house for what most folks pay for a room in Boulder, CO. hehe

Even have a bar in the den/jamspace:

IMG_0439.JPG

Post 'em lads.View attachment 69924View attachment 69927

That blessed plexiglass window gives me 30+ feet between the bookshelf diffusers behind me and the end of my den, which provides a bay window into my back yard. A moonroof over my listening position give me an extra 5' above my 8' ceiling. Still, the Focals' mid woofers are under the half way point, even on their IsoAcoustic stands. Devil's in the details, especially in this little box! I don't subscribe to "small driver for small room" philosophy, I like headroom and low bass. Yamaha YST-SW150 sub is in the window with drivers in the center for imaging and the fact that the floor is raised hardwood, which is vibe-y as FUCK but MAN it gets excited! Since this is mostly for writing/jamming/good times it makes sense, all that clinical shit I leave for someone else.

View attachment 69930
Love your space! I would probably build some sound panels myself as I think it works better than stick on foam but I love the vibe. My basement is still unfinished in the new place as we take time to figure out how we want to finish it but my plan is a closed off studio jam space with a larger amp closet which is build more or less sound proofed so I can crank and mic my amps. Listening room and hybrid drumkit out in the main room.

Here's my current nightmare :) Far wall is my WDW rig. Pedal rig and the one on an angle is my Rockman head which I'm working on now.

I'm trying to determine how to set up my silent rig. I messed around with Rockman Compressor -> PV Rockmaster -> G Major -> Garage band with Wall of Sound and Helix Native. Also have a Line6 Mod Pro, Rockman XPR, GSP1101, Rocktron Multivalve, Ibanez EPP400 and a couple of Axess GRX4's. Need to figure out how to rig this all up so I can pick the pre-amp and effects I want then interface with the plugins. Too many decisions. I do have a Switchblade 8 as well.

Space is also where I work the day gig.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
Here's my current nightmare :) Far wall is my WDW rig. Pedal rig and the one on an angle is my Rockman head which I'm working on now.

I'm trying to determine how to set up my silent rig. I messed around with Rockman Compressor -> PV Rockmaster -> G Major -> Garage band with Wall of Sound and Helix Native. Also have a Line6 Mod Pro, Rockman XPR, GSP1101, Rocktron Multivalve, Ibanez EPP400 and a couple of Axess GRX4's. Need to figure out how to rig this all up so I can pick the pre-amp and effects I want then interface with the plugins. Too many decisions. I do have a Switchblade 8 as well.

Space is also where I work the day gig.
Wow, I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a Rockman head.

The Throwdown of Brotherly Love

Attachments

• 20180807_113329.jpg
    20180807_113329.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20190430_124116_838.jpg
    IMG_20190430_124116_838.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • PSX_20210220_192507.jpg
    PSX_20210220_192507.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200307_131316.jpg
    20200307_131316.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190924_205650.jpg
    20190924_205650.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 57
I need to do panels this spring for sure!

I am right there with you. I have moving blankets on the walls of my space currently.

There is a video on YouTube that shows a guy making panels very cheaply. Built the wood frame out of cheap wood and used old towels for the fill. Ran sound tests to see what worked best to absorb sound and the towels were far and away the best.

I am right there with you. I have moving blankets on the walls of my space currently...and the towels were far and away the best.

Ancient kick drum wisdom!

...but do we get rockwool, or fiberglass, or towels for real?

I am right there with you. I have moving blankets on the walls of my space currently.

There is a video on YouTube that shows a guy making panels very cheaply. Built the wood frame out of cheap wood and used old towels for the fill. Ran sound tests to see what worked best to absorb sound and the towels were far and away the best.

Ancient kick drum wisdom!

...but do we get rockwool, or fiberglass, or towels for real?

Quick watch with digital sound testing.

Wood pallets are actually great for that.

There is a video on YouTube that shows a guy making panels very cheaply. Built the wood frame out of cheap wood and used old towels for the fill. Ran sound tests to see what worked best to absorb sound and the towels were far and away the best

Back