Comparing the oldest Dual Rectifer to the newest one. Rev C vs. MultiWatt.

Those are the kind of amps (the bassman I mean) I'd recommend to one that's open minded and on a budget. Most will maybe look at things like a Friedman Runt, Splawn, EVH, Fireball or whatever, but there's much more inspiring, expressive sounding older gear in that price range aka more fun to be had! I remember earlier in my gear journey (about 9 of 10 years ago now) I had so much Splawn gas since they had so much hype back then and the descriptions of it sounded perfect for me (boy was I dumb lol), so I found one locally on Craigslist (a Quick Rod), was very excited, tried it out at the guy's place and then I felt very awkward since I was so let down and wasn't sure how to exit smoothly lol, but luckily he was a super cool guy and was all fine. He then brought out his '60's Fender Bandmaster (which wasn't for sale). He let me try it cranked up and I was like yeah I totally get now why you're selling the Splawn and not this lol. So much more raw, live, full frequency, much more full, authentic roar on chords. Like a blanket was lifted (but not in terms of being brighter or darker, just the way the way the notes came out and all the details). He didn't even have a boost type pedal there, but I could already imagine it at the time in my head. At least I figured out this trend relatively early, but still took a good amount of time and money to realize
Its cool how we all hear things differently. I had a Quick Rod and a 67 Bassman next to each other and there was no way the Bassman was going to keep up. I mean, check out Dimebag11's clip he just posted. That's the kind of guitar tone I like :yes:

These are I think the toughest mysteries for more technical guys to figure out. I would still bet money though that if we hypothetically swapped all the caps/resistors/transformers in a '50's/'60's vintage amps (if all original) with those of a modern amp, that the modern amp will still overall sound like a modern amp and the vintage one still overall like a vintage amp, but each I think would just get more in the opposite direction of what they are. Just my guess based on having vintage amps with some of those replacements. I think the '50's Gibson GA-40 I had had both tranny's replaced with newer ones, newer Jensen speaker too, not sure about tubes/caps/resistors (I'm guessing some of those were likely replaced also), but the overall package still sounded like a '50's amp to me, just not as good as others I've played of those models, but I wouldn't mistake it for a recent made amp
It’s the small things, details that we hear in certain gear that to some isn’t a big deal or even very noticeable but to others makes all the difference in deciding to buy or pass.

It's a mystery, but a beautiful mystery
Eloquently put. I'm glad you're around to offset my crudeness 🙃

My belief is that what the best old tubes are to modern production tubes, is analogous to what all those old components (caps, resistors, transformer core material, etc) is to the modern examples. I'd even carry that train of thought down to the wire/cables used. I've read a few times on various hifi and recording forums (which doesn't verify the theory of course) that the copper used in old circuit wiring and even some instrument cables was simply of a higher purity (not to be confused with merely lower capacitance) than what is commonly available today. It's an interesting theory. I'm very much interested in, not amplifier circuits themselves, but in the raw materials used in building the components.

Its cool how we all hear things differently. I had a Quick Rod and a 67 Bassman next to each other and there was no way the Bassman was going to keep up. I mean, check out Dimebag11's clip he just posted. That's the kind of guitar tone I like :yes:
Well it was at that comparison a Bandmaster fwiw (iirc), but close enough. Of course for that clip a Bassman or Bandmaster would not be the right tool for the job (even boosted), the 2 amps are apples and oranges, however it was more about the raw, more detailed, organic nature the Bandmaster had over the Splawn that was at the time eye opening to me. The Splawn is functionally the right tool for the job in Dime's clip, but to be honest there are quite a few other amps I would easily choose if I were going for that, which I often am btw. It's a very good clip, but despite being a great fit there, well mixed, balanced, good riffs and playing, which I all respect, I still in that clip hear the qualities of those amps that I find undesirable. It's mostly the midrange voicing and this really filtered quality (like the amp somehow isn't full frequency or somewhat choked, not sure how to better explain it). Especially in those brief moments in the clip where only the guitar is there. Not trying to be disrespectful or hate on amps other guys on here love, just my opinion. I've AB'ed Splawns with other stuff many many times now. The most notable time was when I had in the same room quick rods from 3 different era's, a nitro (worst one imo), Helios, Boogie Mark III, Germino, very exposing, but I didn't intend to sidetrack this thread about debating Splawn's. I'll just say if possible hearing them next to stuff in a more similar ballpark like a Cameron mod, boosted stock 2203 or Monomyth can be informative/revealing

I totally get what you’re saying with the filtered thing. It doesn’t have clarity throughout the eq spectrum. It is mean as hell, though and my favorite of the Marshall style heads bc they sound almost Fryette-like as well.

I totally get what you’re saying with the filtered thing. It doesn’t have clarity throughout the eq spectrum. It is mean as hell, though and my favorite of the Marshall style heads bc they sound almost Fryette-like as well.
I played 2 Nitros over the years and 1 QR. The QR was far better for my taste. It was a nice sounding amp that I could easily see owning/gigging with. I still tend to gravitate to a JCM 800 and a boost for that tone but a QR is a nice amp with nice features. Let’s face it; we split hairs a bit here and 99% of the amps we talk about are all rewarding in some way; even if in the end we choose another that fits each of us just a bit better.

Yes I totally hear what you mean about it being a little like the Fryette's and yeah I value when amps have good detail throughout the eq spectrum. Sounds like you knew what I meant. Despite that, your clip sounded really good I think because of the music and playing itself and the balance of the instruments and the amp functionally works very well in the context. I appreciate on this forum how we can openly discuss these things and not have to do the fake diplomatic thing and just say "it sounds killer bro". That doesn't do much. I suck badly at recording myself, so I respect your skills at it

So steering back towards the topic, I've spent some more time comparing the Rev C & the MW and I wanted to share some observations.

As similar as they are on the mic, despite the differences in clarity in the room, they really react to speakers differently. The Rev C for example LOVES Greenbacks & Redbacks. Also does well with T75s (as they all do, the T75 is the perfect bridesmaid). All of these speakers really work better than V30s. The MW on the other hand, really doesn't like Greenbacks & was made for V30s. It's really interesting how the amps respond to different cabs for both being Rectos.

Then tonight I jammed them at band practice. I hate to say it, but the extra fizzy aggression of the MW... cut better in the band mix. So once again, great in the bedroom does not equal great in the band. (Which is where every 2 & 4 tube Mark has let me down..)

And P.S. on the Splawn- I had a SuperSport 6V6 that was actually killer for what it was, but ultimately I can't do low power amps. I also had a Nitro, and I literally couldn't sell it fast enough. YMMV..

Back