Comparison of OCD, LP Eternity, BB+ (Video)

glassjaw7

I've had the OCD for a couple years now but as of late haven't been using it or any pedals for that matter, other than a boost.
Well after the rack/pedal board debate thread I decided to work on building up a small board so I AB'd each of my pedals.

What's strange is that when comparing my OCD (V4) to my Lovepedal Eternity, BB+, TS9 and MXR od's, I found that the OCD actually has no mids at all. :confused: I never noticed it before, but it's almost like a fuzz/muff pedal with lots of bass and treble. Good for sludgy stoner rock and doom metal riffs if you boost it.

It's very amp-like in response in that it has killer dynamics that respond to pick attack and it doesn't lose any low end like most drive pedals, but there is no singing-mid type lead tone in there at all. That's not to say it can't be used for great lead tones; it sounds great for fuzzy leads but compared to the Lovepedal and BB it is hard to get a mid heavy tone.

The tone knob doesn't change this either, but rather acts as a presence control. To my ears the pedal always retains a crunchy, trebly and bassy sound. Still love the pedal for low to mid gain chording sounds and as a boost, and for fat power chords. My plan is to build a small board and rack just a few pedals and this one will probably end up racked as a boost for the boogie.
Thoughts?
Edit: Added video finally. :thumbsup: Skip to around 1:20 if you don't want to hear me blab on forever...

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I too LOVE this pedal as a boost/low gain pedal, but when you crank up the gain it sounds very fat and fuzzy. It's a wonderful boost pedal and yes, very transparent because it remains amp-like. IMO it's just not good for mid-heavy lead tones. ;) Basically, great od/boost. But as a dist pedal, it works more like a nice fuzz.

Edit: another note on the pedal being transparent: The ocd is transparent BECAUSE there is no mid spike like many other ts-type pedals have. The BB is almost nasally and mid heavy but in a very pleasing way which makes it cut through nicely for leads. The ocd is basically going to sound much like the amp it is being played though. It retains the same amount of low end and the tone knob will boost/cut the treble or presence. Not much mid action going on.

I'll do a little video demo/comparison of the OCD/Lovepedal/BB when I get time to show what I'm talking about. Again, I'm not slamming the Fulltone at all. I mean it's been in my possession longer than most of the pedals I have so it must be good, right? :yes: Just sayin it's not what people think. I've heard it described as a "Marshall in a stomp" which I disagree with. It's just a very amp like transparent drive with no mid-spike.

I never really bonded with the OCD

I only have two drive boxes on my board (after owning many many high end OD pedals)

1) RC Boost
2) AC Boost

That is all I need.

I have a Carol Ann OD2 that I set medium/low gain.
I hit the boost on the Carol Ann and engage the AC and it is orbit time --

Killer killer tone with both singles and humbuckers.

Please see my post above. I edited to explain in better detail what I'm trying to convey here. NOT slamming the pedal. I just feel that people have the wrong idea of what it is. It's not a "marshall in a box".

glassjaw7":3vv64z1o said:
Please see my post above. I edited to explain in better detail what I'm trying to convey here. NOT slamming the pedal. I just feel that people have the wrong idea of what it is. It's not a "marshall in a box".
To me they sound a smoother less authentic and gnarly version of a Marshall. A band opened for us last Saturday and both guitar players used LP's into Twins with OCD. It approximated the Marshall sound surprisingly well. Not as awesome as the real thing, but still sounded nice and thick.

I didn't heard any of the fizziness you're talking about, but they were also running them into a fat clean tone. Although I know exactly what you mean about not having mids. They're so smooth but they don't have that upper mid roar like a marshall, or at least its less pronounced. :yes:

Telephant":3uhvw7vj said:
glassjaw7":3uhvw7vj said:
To me they sound a smoother less authentic and gnarly version of a Marshall. A band opened for us last Saturday and both guitar players used LP's into Twins with OCD. It approximated the Marshall sound surprisingly well. Not as awesome as the real thing, but still sounded nice and thick.

I didn't heard any of the fizziness you're talking about, but they were also running them into a fat clean tone. :yes:

Hey Shea where you been? How are things going?

ejecta":1r7ul65h said:
Telephant":1r7ul65h said:
glassjaw7":1r7ul65h said:

I didn't heard any of the fizziness you're talking about, but they were also running them into a fat clean tone. :yes:

Great man, how are you doing? I've been playing so much I haven't been around in awhile. :)

I've had one for a couple of years now. I generally find it too scooped sounding. I think it's good for boosting a relatively low gain amp for a nice crunchy rhythm sound, but for leads I'd rather something with a Tubescreamer style hump.

Telephant":2tdp4cht said:
ejecta":2tdp4cht said:
Telephant":2tdp4cht said:
glassjaw7":2tdp4cht said:

Great man, how are you doing? I've been playing so much I haven't been around in awhile. :)

I'm doing good. Glad to hear you are still kicking out the jams and staying busy. Better than wasting time on here like I do too much of. You like The Dead Weather's new one? I'm really liking it.

Just recorded a short comparison video between three pedals that I feel perfectly captures what I'm describing. I'll try to get it up here in a bit. :thumbsup:

Shit, I used my new(ish) Sony video camera and sure enough, the video upload software isn't compatible with my mac. :doh: Fucking Sony... Anyway I"m trying to convert the file with photobucket or roxio toast. I may have to reshoot it later with imovie. :thumbsdown:

I tried a few other boost pedals and after a year I am back tot he ocd
I like that it works perfect as a transparent boost for my amp's already distorted tone

I don't think it was designed as a distortion pedal even though you can use it that way
it doesn't sound right to me as a distorted tone on a clean amp

glassjaw7":1ol5c2y2 said:
My plan is to build a small board and rack just a few pedals and this one will probably end up racked as a boost for the boogie.
Thoughts?

You'd probably know better than me, but I would actually lean TOWARD a Tubescreamer style boost for a Recto, assuming it is a Recto and not a Mark. The mid presence should help fill out and balance the amp's response.

JakeAC5253":bkjuqhxq said:
glassjaw7":bkjuqhxq said:
My plan is to build a small board and rack just a few pedals and this one will probably end up racked as a boost for the boogie.
Thoughts?

You'd probably know better than me, but I would actually lean TOWARD a Tubescreamer style boost for a Recto, assuming it is a Recto and not a Mark. The mid presence should help fill out and balance the amp's response.
Yeah, I usually use a TS style boost with the recto, but the ocd works great as a boost too.

Edit: Video Added up top! ^^^

With my OCD, I immediately noticed the relaxed mids when used for boosting. It's very smooth, thick and clear as a boost. I actually prefer it with my thinner sounding guitars that have more mids naturally (Strat & Tele).
I use my GT-OD with my darker, thicker sounding guitars (LTD & LP) since it has that big mid spike when used for boosting.

Back