Converting a Satin finish to Gunstock Oil?

reverymike

I'm considering having the neck on my Tom Anderson sanded down and refinished with gunstock oil. Right now, it has a satin finish, which is okay, but I prefer the feel of a more untreated neck. Am I crazy for thinking about doing this? Would a good gunstock finish still provide adequate protection to the neck from the elements, warping, etc?

I'd also be having stainless steel 6100s installed when and if I decide to do this.

I just bought (or received) an Ibanez RG350MZ; the neck is supposed to be satin finish, but it felt almost raw, a bit too much for my taste. I gave it a quick steel whool buffing, then applied about 5 layers of tru-oil to it. It's now super smooth and fast :thumbsup:

Does anyone think it could hurt the value of the guitar? I'm not too concerned with that, because I'm not planning on selling it, but I also don't want to make a major gaf, like refinishing a 56 strat.

I wouldn't do it, TAG's are usually pretty smooth out of the gate.

Play the fuck out of it and see if it shines up.

Absolute most i would even think of doing, is to run the finest steelwool soaked in gunstock wax over it.

Or just get a good cheap guitar, like I did, to experiment with mods.

Capulin Overdrive":3lw8br1z said:
I wouldn't do it, TAG's are usually pretty smooth out of the gate.

Play the fuck out of it and see if it shines up.

Absolute most i would even think of doing, is to run the finest steelwool soaked in gunstock wax over it.

I have played the fuck out of it -- the guitar is 20 years old. Don't get me wrong, the neck feels good. I'm planning the refret though, and IF I was going to go to a sanded, oiled neck, now would be the time to do it, when the frets were out of the guitar.

I did this to a US strat. I LOVE it. Sometimes I gig with it over my Suhr Modern. It is a maple neck so I don't think it affects the tuning stability. But I was thinking of doing the same thing to my modern which has a satin finish. It's silky smooth but the tung oil finish just feels sooo damn nice. I didn't do it to the Modern cause it's a mahogany neck and I'm worried about tuning issue with the changes of climate. If it's a guitar you plan on never selling and a maple neck, I'd say do what you want to it as long as it's done right. :thumbsup:

I have an old Jeff Beck strat I did this to. Satin finish was chipping / peeling off and real annoying.
If your keeping it I wouldn't hesitate. Will affect resale, maybe you could have Anderson do it to preserve value.
If the guitar is already beat up I wouldn't hesitate either.
I couldn't believe how thick the poly was on mine when I stripped it.
Feels so much better now.

I would treat the neck with teak oil . This is waht is used to treat wood on boats to help keep moisture out . I did it to the neck on my les paul axcess about 4 years ago and haven't had any issues . According to the instructions on the can I think you are suppose to retreat about every 2 years but I have never retreated mine .
FWIW the ebmm axis guitars have raw necks and they don't have any issues with them . SO either way you wanna go I would say go for it .

splatter":3cgg7qdx said:
I would treat the neck with teak oil . This is waht is used to treat wood on boats to help keep moisture out . I did it to the neck on my les paul axcess about 4 years ago and haven't had any issues . According to the instructions on the can I think you are suppose to retreat about every 2 years but I have never retreated mine .
FWIW the ebmm axis guitars have raw necks and they don't have any issues with them . SO either way you wanna go I would say go for it .

From what I've read the ebmm necks aren't raw, don't know if anyone can confirm this

This is the guitar. It's in unbelievable shape for being 20 years old, and played fairly regularly.

TOMANDERSONBODYANGLE.jpg

Business":10t9xlu0 said:
splatter":10t9xlu0 said:
From what I've read the ebmm necks aren't raw, don't know if anyone can confirm this

Ernie Ball uses tru- oil and wax.
Some are known to have stability problems. I think its the use of Birdseye rather than the finish. There are several builders who won't use Birdseye for necks for this reason painted or not.
I have a raw wolf and neck that is the most stable ever. One Ernie ball that was all over the place and one that is solid. Two other guitars with tru oil and no problems.

splatter":eyxd6hro said:
Is that a mahogany neck or maple?

tripstan":303gukw5 said:
splatter":303gukw5 said:
Is that a mahogany neck or maple?
Mahogany , I wasn't thinking about maple the grain on maple is much tighter and won't let the oil penetrate as well . However it still does penetrate to some extent . I have an old charvel neck I did the same thing to and its maple doesn't color the wood as much as it does on mahogany.

H Golf Sport":kjkkome7 said:
Business":kjkkome7 said:
splatter":kjkkome7 said:

Ernie Ball uses tru- oil and wax.
Some are known to have stability problems. I think its the use of Birdseye rather than the finish. There are several builders who won't use Birdseye for necks for this reason painted or not.
I have a raw wolf and neck that is the most stable ever. One Ernie ball that was all over the place and one that is solid. Two other guitars with tru oil and no problems.

yea I know which is basically a raw neck because tru oil isn't a permenant treatment
you should treat it every 6 months at least or if you live in a humid climate even more often . I had 2 ebmm axis guitars and never had a problem with the neck on either . I also kept them treated as EB suggest.

Back