Copy right claim, Yes or No, what do you think?

Just found this...

"Intent, however, is not relevant to copyright infringement liability as copyright infringement is a strict liability tort (the caveat being liability for contributory infringement which does require intent). Copyright infringement has not always been a strict liability though."

From the glance I've taken at search results, intent matters when its a criminal proceeding, not a civil one.

I just think that because it would be incredibly hard to determine intent in an artistic pursuit, they would just follow the money. I'll have to look more into it.
Valid point, which why these copyright lawsuits are a waste of time for the most part.

^ yes he did.

There was a 4 chord progression with a similar drum beat but I don't see them as copies. Ed had been sued before I believe too. I know very little about the guy. And really, these super simple songs....there is going to be some repetitive stuff. I mean you can only do so much with the same chords and simple beats. They were in different keys though :LOL:

Here is 20 sec summary of each if anyone needs a listen (like I did)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/04/arts/music/ed-sheeran-marvin-gaye-copyright-trial-verdict.html

Just found this...

"Intent, however, is not relevant to copyright infringement liability as copyright infringement is a strict liability tort (the caveat being liability for contributory infringement which does require intent). Copyright infringement has not always been a strict liability though."

From the glance I've taken at search results, intent matters when its a criminal proceeding, not a civil one.

Great points.

Also, I too feel some of the riffs I've come up with are original but I'm sure if I dug deep enough or let someone else here listen - there would be a similarity somewhere. Actually, that is a pretty cool thread idea. I think both of the first clips in my sig are original to me :D

Last edited:
Total B.S. in my opinion. The Queen and Vanilla Ice thing was an example of a blatant issue.

I think it comes down to if people are losing money from sales, if it is the same audience, etc. There are no 70 year old soul fans requesting Ed Sheeran at the local bar, I can assure you. Two totally separate audiences.

First time thru I was just listening for similarities but I just listened to those verses back to back again and…Marvin Gaye’s voice and soul is soooo much better than that other song.

So Ed Sheeran is getting sued for copying music. As an occasional songwriter, I was wondering where you guys would draw the line and if this is justified?

It`s one little part of the song (like 6 seconds) that has the same chord progression and same rhythm and groove/tempo. However, the lyrics and melody are different and of course, the key. After that part, the songs change in different directions and you would probably never her assume any similarities.

Not the same

Imagine how many blues songs would lose copyright suits if chord progressions and beats were copyrightable. Pretty much all of them except for the first 2 or 3...

after the blurred lines fiasco, and now this, the marvin gaye estate is apparently attempting to make case law that kills the music business,

Back