Crazy modded Marshall JCM800 2203

EddyLenz

100Wproto.jpg

Hi Everyone,

After putting it up for a long time, I finally rebuilt my 2.5 channel prototype. I removed everything and put in a big turret board, and 12V DC supply.
It started as a crazy idea to rebuild the amp to have two separate channels with all controls being at the front.
Back then, I built it with 3 smaller turret boards, but I had a few problems that just didn't go away, so I decided to completely redesign the layout and channel switching.

For this second attempt, I also added a tube Fx loop and foot-switchable global masters.
It has a clean channel that's based on a plexi, which has a crunch mode that adds a 3rd gain stage.
The gain channel is a new circuit that I'm working on that can do 80s and modern high gain tones.
I'm still working both channels and especially the clean/crunch still needs some work until I'm happy with it.

Here's a playthrough of the amp with two different guitars.
Let me know what you think!
And don't hate on me for "ruining" a vintage amp lol. This one had been messed with long before I bought it.

Sounds really good. If I may, can I ask what you used for mics, how you set them, etc? I liked the transparency of the sound you got and am trying to learn, so I can make good quality clips myself of my gear

View attachment 69783
Hi Everyone,

After putting it up for a long time, I finally rebuilt my 2.5 channel prototype. I removed everything and put in a big turret board, and 12V DC supply.
It started as a crazy idea to rebuild the amp to have two separate channels with all controls being at the front.
Back then, I built it with 3 smaller turret boards, but I had a few problems that just didn't go away, so I decided to completely redesign the layout and channel switching.

For this second attempt, I also added a tube Fx loop and foot-switchable global masters.
It has a clean channel that's based on a plexi, which has a crunch mode that adds a 3rd gain stage.
The gain channel is a new circuit that I'm working on that can do 80s and modern high gain tones.
I'm still working both channels and especially the clean/crunch still needs some work until I'm happy with it.

Here's a playthrough of the amp with two different guitars.
Let me know what you think!
And don't hate on me for "ruining" a vintage amp lol. This one had been messed with long before I bought it.

Absolute great job Eddy. Best of all sonic spectrums. IMO.

Keep up the great work as you will go far.

David

Sounds really good. If I may, can I ask what you used for mics, how you set them, etc? I liked the transparency of the sound you got and am trying to learn, so I can make good quality clips myself of my gear
Thanks!
I used an sE VR1 ribbon mic in the center of the speaker and a Shure SM57 where the dust cab meets the cone, but slightly more towards the cone.
That's for my Greenback cab. With my Vintage 30 Cab, I usually have the 57 at an angle.

Back