Custom metal guitars in 2023

Well -- for the jing some of these guitars cost you'd better love them because if you want to sell them you will have an extremely limited audience . Nothing better than name recognition.

Having my first McNaught built this year. My buddy has a couple and they play, look, and sound fantastic.

Dave is great to work with, but I would say double however long he says it's going to take to do the build. He said 6-9 months for me, but it'll be in the 12-18 month range. Mine is fully custom though. I picked the top, the fretboard, changed the scale length, custom inlay, new finish color etc. I think a solid metallic bolt on would be a lot quicker.
My buddy was told 4 months. His order is approaching 2.5 years.…

My buddy was told 4 months. His order is approaching 2.5 years.…

My buddy's took 2 years, but he flip flops a lot on stuff and was changing his specs. The only thing I've been unsure of is color, so everything else has been the same as when I placed my deposit. We'll see if that helps things.

Happy with my low cost Jackson JS32 and WRX/CDX Warriors and Rhoads; and my Ibanez PS from low cost to Prestige Japan.

Has anyone mentioned Soap guitars? Idk too much about them, but I follow them on IG. The design seems cool. The thumb groove...is interesting. The volume slider is also intriguing to me.

Edit - do they even count as a metal guitar? lol

Has anyone mentioned Soap guitars? Idk too much about them, but I follow them on IG. The design seems cool. The thumb groove...is interesting. The volume slider is also intriguing to me.

Edit - do they even count as a metal guitar? lol
That guitar seems odd. No neck pickup (sorta the Nightswan layout), probably because the truss rod looks to extend deep into the body, but... why? The rod is not going to move anything down there unless the body is so thin it'll be like Gumby. I guess the design is touted as being super thin and ultra light, so maybe? But do you actually want that? Seems like it would not balance on a strap if it the body is that thin and chambered.

Guess he'll find out when he actually builds some.

Well -- for the jing some of these guitars cost you'd better love them because if you want to sell them you will have an extremely limited audience . Nothing better than name recognition.
Yeah some of them, prepare to take a massive hit if you order it and try to sell at some point.

The cost has gotten out of hand, just generally speaking.

IMG_6383.jpeg

IMG_6386.jpeg

IMG_6384.jpeg

Got this custom select in today. Thing rips!
from the year before jackson would’ve deemed this a “custom shop” instead of a custom select. My understanding is in 2011 and prior you could order a custom select with any color and the price varied within a few hundred bucks. In 2012 they moved to three standard colors black, white, and trans black. Now they only do black and white, and any other color makes it a custom shop, and approaches 6k or more lol.

View attachment 215698
View attachment 215701
View attachment 215704
from the year before jackson would’ve deemed this a “custom shop” instead of a custom select. My understanding is in 2011 and prior you could order a custom select with any color and the price varied within a few hundred bucks. In 2012 they moved to three standard colors black, white, and trans black. Now they only do black and white, and any other color makes it a custom shop, and approaches 6k or more lol.
That color is just great! Really makes the guitar have a classy look. I can only imagine it in person in the sunlight.

View attachment 215698
View attachment 215701
View attachment 215704
The search is over for now, isn’t it?

By the way, nobody mentioned Luxxtone and James Tyler surprisingly. People speak highly of these.

Back