Custom Mike Fortin Marshall Vintage Modern inbound.

King Guitar

Banned
Getting a real cool custom Mike Fortin amp next week. Mike took my 100 watt Marshall Vintage Modern and was given free hand to do whatever he thought would be cool with it. Here is Mikes notes on the amp.

Hey Brad,

Cool man, I tried not to go drill crazy like in the past haha. Footswitch still functions the same.

I redid the circuit to be cascaded instead of parallel. Yes, Gain 1 and Gain 2, it is similar to my Cali mod but this has no solid state clip circuits, all tube.

The circuit is different but tried to achieve the same outcome working around the extra ftsw tubestage. It breaks into the octave feedbacks at low level if you desire.

The High mode brings in another tube gain stage so that is the main reason for no need of the clip circuit as it has lots of gain on tap.

Master is no longer a PPIMV style and the pull Hair function changes the power configuration giving it a rawer Plexi style response. Pushed in, it is smoother and more modern sounding.

The Mid Boost is now different. Button out, very tight percussive gain structure, pushed in more gain in the lows and changes the touch sensitivity.

Gain 1 and Gain 2 work together all the time, so running them at multiple settings will go you all kinds of tonal choices. Plug in a strat, push the Thick switch in to gives the tone some girth. With a LP, Thick switch out gives a different balance etc. I also added a choke.

To get a very close Plexi tone, pull the master and set full on, set eq as desired, gain 2 9 to 10 o'clock, ride gain 1 as you would on a non master volume amp, in Low mode and toggle the Thick switch to see which you prefer.

High gain modern tone, master set to taste and pushed in, eq set to taste, gain 2 and gain 1 at 2 o'clock, in High mode, toggle the Thick switch and feel the difference.

A note about the Thick switch. With that switch in, Gain 1 settings above 2 o'clock might get over taken by bass. This mainly depends on the type of guitar and pickup strength. You can always dial up Gain 2 if you need more signing gain when in the Thick mode.

Tomorrow here at Yamaha we've got PhilX http://www.philx.tv/ coming it to test some guitars. Your amp has been requested for the sound room by the Artist rep. I'll make sure nothing happens to it. I might be able to break out a video camera:)

Thanks Mike, Cant wait to hear it! :rock:

Congrats! His description sounds so damn great! Glad to her no clipping, I think the tube gain is a much more natural sound. This should be unreal! :thumbsup:

mf4.jpg

Seeing how everyone is going to tell you how much this amp rules and how lucky you are to have it done, let me be the first to say you suck! ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Congrats Brad! That amp will surely sound amazing! Now post some clips of this and your Wizard WD setup damn it!!! :gethim:

That description sounds awesome, I NEED some clips please!! I know all of the W/D clips sound killer, but I want guitar,cord and Fortin modded amp!!!! :rock: :rock:

rareguitar":y8hgifnr said:
Getting a real cool custom Mike Fortin amp next week. Mike took my 100 watt Marshall Vintage Modern and was given free hand to do whatever he thought would be cool with it. Here is Mikes notes on the amp.

Hey Brad,

Cool man, I tried not to go drill crazy like in the past haha. Footswitch still functions the same.

I redid the circuit to be cascaded instead of parallel. Yes, Gain 1 and Gain 2, it is similar to my Cali mod but this has no solid state clip circuits, all tube.

The circuit is different but tried to achieve the same outcome working around the extra ftsw tubestage. It breaks into the octave feedbacks at low level if you desire.

The High mode brings in another tube gain stage so that is the main reason for no need of the clip circuit as it has lots of gain on tap.

Master is no longer a PPIMV style and the pull Hair function changes the power configuration giving it a rawer Plexi style response. Pushed in, it is smoother and more modern sounding.

The Mid Boost is now different. Button out, very tight percussive gain structure, pushed in more gain in the lows and changes the touch sensitivity.

Gain 1 and Gain 2 work together all the time, so running them at multiple settings will go you all kinds of tonal choices. Plug in a strat, push the Thick switch in to gives the tone some girth. With a LP, Thick switch out gives a different balance etc. I also added a choke.

To get a very close Plexi tone, pull the master and set full on, set eq as desired, gain 2 9 to 10 o'clock, ride gain 1 as you would on a non master volume amp, in Low mode and toggle the Thick switch to see which you prefer.

High gain modern tone, master set to taste and pushed in, eq set to taste, gain 2 and gain 1 at 2 o'clock, in High mode, toggle the Thick switch and feel the difference.

A note about the Thick switch. With that switch in, Gain 1 settings above 2 o'clock might get over taken by bass. This mainly depends on the type of guitar and pickup strength. You can always dial up Gain 2 if you need more signing gain when in the Thick mode.

Tomorrow here at Yamaha we've got PhilX http://www.philx.tv/ coming it to test some guitars. Your amp has been requested for the sound room by the Artist rep. I'll make sure nothing happens to it. I might be able to break out a video camera:)

Thanks Mike, Cant wait to hear it! :rock:

Sounds like my perfect amp. Jealous. :D

Back