Danzig- Mother...Amps?

Marshall and a pro co rat pedal is what I remember him using for the earlier stuff.
I always assumed the rat was used as a boost for leads.

Here you go

TV: Was that guitar used to record anything on "Danzig"?

JC: No, we had done a show with Slayer in L.A. at the Palladium, when a riot broke out because the promoters had oversold the show by a couple of hundred tickets. There were people outside breaking windows, with police and helicopters everywhere, and all this was going on while we were onstage. At any rate, on the flight out there, we didn’t have road cases for our guitars or anything, and the neck on my B.C. Rich got broken. They just threw it down the ramp and >bam<, snapped the neck. I got back to the hotel and just couldn’t believe it was broken, and the gig was tomorrow. But I had my Les Paul, and also borrowed a Mocking Bird off of Kerry King (Slayer guitarist). When I got back to New York, I only had the one guitar and we were supposed to start recording the first "Danzig" record. The les Paul just didn’t sound that good, so I went to Sam Ash Music on 48th Street. They lined up every guitar in the place, and I sat there for hours going through every guitar they had, playing some chords, parts of "Twist of Cain" and "Am I Demon" - just to see what sounded the fullest. I ended up choosing a Paul Reed Smith guitar because it had the overall fullest sound. We rented that guitar from the music store and that was the one that I did all the rhythm tracks with. As far as amps, in the studio, I think we used a "Bedrock" amp on a couple of songs – until we blew it up. We also used a couple of rented "Marshalls" with my old cabinet. When the time came to go in and do vocal overdubs and solos, I had the B.C. Rich back. I used that with my old "Laney" amplifier and "Marshall" cabinet for the solos. That was pretty much it.

TV: Those PRS guitaras are rather tiny, aren’t they?

JC: They’re thin, but it was a good sounding guitar, and so what I did, was get the same kind of pickups put in my B.C.Rich when I got it back, and they sounded really good. I took out the old "DiMarzios" and popped the new ones in – BOOM – there’s the "Danzig" tone. On the second and third records, "Thrall-Demonsweatlive" and "Danzig 4" were mainly the two B.C.Rich guitars and "VHT" amp with the same old "marshall" cabinet. I’ve had that thing forever.

http://www.tvcasualty.com/articles/a_jchrist.html

On the first 2 tours he used an eq as a boost with 2 JMP full stacks, not JCM's. Loud as all hell stage volume! These were club dates, not arenas so may have varied due to venue size. Cool info on the recorded tones.

Back