Dave Friedman Introduces the All-New Friedman PLEX - In-Depth Review

I thought PT's video sounded excellent. It's not going to make me run out and buy one. But it sounded pretty good. Still kinda like the PT100 more.

My THD Series One Plexi was built about 30 years ago. Andy Marshall used Dave Friedman's 68' smallbox Plexi to voice it.
So it is very similar to this amp.
I had Andy rebuild it a few years ago. He told me he had recently rebuilt Keith Richards Series One Plexi.

My amp doesn't have a master or the bright caps. But it can do the variac thing. I pretty much always run it on the higher voltage.

It's stupid loud without using a attenuator.
I have a Fryette PS-100 and a few THD Hot Plate.

I used it as my main amp a few years and still one if my favorites.

I would be into trying Dave's version.

Nice amp that IMO is worth $1800. It’s not doing anything my 1987x did. That wasn’t worth 3k either, but Marshall prices came down.

Headed to LA while on tour this summer. That is the only way for me to hear it in person, there are no Friedman dealers anywhere near me. Looking forward to comparisons/thoughts from musicians on this forum.

i’m happy for Dave and his success.
his amps sound great and are fun to play!

i really wish he had doug r and phil x —two axe murderers and VH freaks—do the official release video of this amp!

the few seconds on the front of this vid sounds killer:

I like Pete Thorn. Nobody goes as in-depth to learn about gear they showcase, and nobody explains it as eloquently and naturally as he does. He's legitimately great at that.

Youtube is full of fucking idiots who don't know shit about what they're talking about, but will try and convince you otherwise just for the clicks, or because they're too dumb to know they're just making stuff up that might not be true. Dunning Kruger, etc. Pete doesn't do that. And he's up front about being a shill, which I can respect.

Say what you will about his tone (personally I think it used to be better, it's a bit flat and honky now, maybe he needs to replace that one cab he always uses, who knows) or his taste in riffs or whatever, but if I want to learn about any given piece of gear, like the full scope of its function and how to operate it, and I don't have a manual or whatever, Pete's channel is the first place I go.

I don't think of him as some rock star guitar hero or anything though, he's more like a really knowledgeable forums poster. I think as long as you set your expectations right, his channel is really useful.

Last edited:

I tried to make a playlist for the first time ever so I could put them in the same spot. Working on MX stuff with my sons this weekend so may not be around much, but I will be retracking a couple River of Thorns tunes this month with the SL67 and the PLEX.

I'll try to put a little effort into those to show the differences between amps, partially because I want to a/b them myself and partially to see if I have the attention span to do a half decent video :)

The amp sounds like a good Plexi, has more whistles and bells than a stock plexi, so for those who don't want to mess with a vintage amp that may or may not have the gain and mojo these will fit the bill.:2thumbsup:

I imagine the new Suhr SL68 and SL67 are right up there with Friedman's Plex and the other contender is the Metropolous Metroplex MkII...alot of people seem quite happy with Georges new creation as well.:yes::2thumbsup:

8qk13y.jpg

Man, it seems like EVERYONE is using the Ox Box these days which kind of surprises me because that came out 6 years ago.
You are right.. all the YT guitarist I follow are using it. It doesn't seem to be popular on any forums. I wonder why they like and use them?

You are right.. all the YT guitarist I follow are using it. It doesn't seem to be popular on any forums. I wonder why they like and use them?
It’s fugly but it’s actually a fantastic piece of gear.

In my experience, the cabs on it are the top of the heap.

The presets will amaze you with how many different sounds you can get out of the same amp setting and they are named in a way to get you Curious to try them.

The effects are really really great though. I typically don’t use them and I adid inside the daw

That said:
WiFi connectivity is inconvenient
If you want the effects, you can’t use them live through your guitar cabinet only through the monitor source
No updates (aren’t needed but you know they’ve stopped developing and it’s limited product lifespan)

I’ve seriously thought about adding another one but the price is gone way up since I bought mine. Now I’d probably get the fryette that Nelson made cabs for if I got a second unit.

and there it is… my demo prayers answered.
raw and ferocious even if he is using an ox ir!
I see an OX box sitting on the desk behind him. Dave must like the sound of the OX Box with it's Sunset sound effects, Ossie Ahsen gets some great tones with his. Maybe he used it maybe he didn't. I was surprised that Dave Friedman didn't comment that he was using an OX bo in his official demo.

I would imagine it takes the issues with micing a cab perfectly to sound good out of the equation.

Back