Dave Murray/Paul Kossoff tribute Strat complete. NGD part 1

badger71

Well, I got the bug to build a guitar with a nod to one of my favorite guitarists, Dave Murray. So, I dug around and found that Fender made this guitar, the Straight Six Stratocaster. The body and neck have thin lacquer, not poly.
sixstrat.jpg

I got that from the Music Zoo...great service, btw. I then found some chrome pickup rings online and ordered a prewired Fat Strat pickguard from guitarfetish.com. I swapped out the Fender tuners for some locking tuners I had lying around. I then ordered the Mexican Strat upgrade pack from Callaham which included a stainless steel trem block, shortened arm, stainless saddles, and hardened screws. I had a couple single coils lying around as well and picked the one that I felt would sit the best in between the humbuckers. After getting done what I could, I sent the guitar over to Jim Crawford for fretwork, rewiring, and single coil installing. I just got it back today. The bridge and middle are wired to the tone control. The switch is a three way with no split positions. It sounds fantastic. I can't wait to play our corporate outing with it in September. Here's the finished project. I'll try to get better pics later.
lespaul.jpg

70strathead":2f3z0o2z said:
Jim's the man...I'm bringing him a strat to refret pretty soon, gonna try the stainless steel. nice axe dude

Yup, Jim's cool. I'm glad I've found someone locally that can do great work. I'd hate shipping my guitars up north or cross country.

Back