Dave Mustaine on everything Gibson. Thoughts?

I've been a pretty huge fan of Megadeth since Peace Sells. It probably took me a few months at most to realize that Mustaine is kind of a dickhead.

Sure enough, the two times I met him, even when he's being "nice", he's still a sarcastic, know it all, my-shit-don't-stink kinda guy. :dunno:

Anyway, the inlays suck all kinds of ass.

Did I miss an era of Megadeath or am I correct in drawing a blank trying to picture Dave ever playing a Les Paul shaped guitar? Regardless, that neck is major fug.

I recall Marty saying in an interview during their Jackson years that the pinnacle of heavy tone is a Les Paul through a Marshall, which to the best of my knowledge neither of them ever played that combo.

Obviously brand endorsements and image were also very important to them. No slight against Jackson, old King V's and Kelly's are awesome.

He’s always great for the brand he is repping they are always the greatest ever while he is endorsed. Before and after his endorsement the gear is junk

I recall Marty saying in an interview during their Jackson years that the pinnacle of heavy tone is a Les Paul through a Marshall, which to the best of my knowledge neither of them ever played that combo.

Obviously brand endorsements and image were also very important to them. No slight against Jackson, old King V's and Kelly's are awesome.
Marty Friedman used lots of guitars and amps in the studio, he didn't just use his Jackson's. I recall Marty saying he used a Gibson SG to record most of Cryptic Writings, that and a Peavey 5150 I think?? Oh and a shitload of stomp boxes. You can hear a lot of effects and ear candy on that album, it's underrated for sure.

Dave was gracious enough to sign my DM Jackson King V back in the later 90's after a show. That meant the world to me and I will never forget it!
I always wished he would've went back to Jackson. At least that's how I will always remember him, killing on his Jackson King Vs.

Dave was gracious enough to sign my DM Jackson King V back in the later 90's after a show. That meant the world to me and I will never forget it!
I always wished he would've went back to Jackson. At least that's how I will always remember him, killing on his Jackson King Vs.
That's really awesome. I wish he would have put his pride aside too and went back to Jackson. It's always been about the money though.

Someone can jump in on this but I believe both Dave and Marty were moving the KV1's and KE1's but Jackson never gave them the money they deserved. Marty was still buying Jacksons with his own money for his rigs and personal use up until his departure as far as I know it. Someone can correct me or clarify that though.

That's really awesome. I wish he would have put his pride aside too and went back to Jackson. It's always been about the money though.

Someone can jump in on this but I believe both Dave and Marty were moving the KV1's and KE1's but Jackson never gave them the money they deserved. Marty was still buying Jacksons with his own money for his rigs and personal use up until his departure as far as I know it. Someone can correct me or clarify that though.
Dave wanted to buy Jackson and supposedly it was almost a done deal and fender swooped in and bought them. That’s what I recall happening plus fender changed all the artists deals I don’t I know if that meant less money but I recall Dave saying something about amount of free guitars per year went from like 12 to 1 and v that didn’t work for him.

Is that really what happened who knows

Dave wanted to buy Jackson and supposedly it was almost a done deal and fender swooped in and bought them. That’s what I recall happening plus fender changed all the artists deals I don’t I know if that meant less money but I recall Dave saying something about amount of free guitars per year went from like 12 to 1 and v that didn’t work for him.

Is that really what happened who knows
Oh Okay. I knew about the situation with him being butt hurt about the Fender merger and him being denied to purchase the company himself with investors. I just believed there was more to it than that. I heard him say one time if I recall correctly that it was also that he was upset they didn't properly pay him while he was the "number 1 endorser" I believe he said something along those lines. But yeah, with all the things he says, who actually knows.

Ya he was pissed off when he couldn't buy Jackson.

In 2001 or 2002 I bought a white Y2KV from Jason Kae at Drum City Guitar Land. Shortly after I was talking to Jason about the guitar and he said the Jackson reps wanted all the Y2K Vs back that weren't sold yet...

Must've been late 01 into 2002 because Dave wanted those guitars back when Fender bought Jackson

Last edited:
In 2002 I bought a white Y2KV from Jason Kae at Drum City Guitar Land. Shortly after I was talking to Jason about the guitar and he said the Jackson reps wanted all the Y2K Vs back that weren't sold yet...
Yup. Jackson sent Dave all of Y2KV's that were completed and or not sold that year but Dave denied them as well. They were sold off probably to employees or privately not really clear on those details.

Last edited:
That black LP type is a nice looking machine. But Dave is one of those guys that I don't really care about what he plays. He has his sound and style no matter what he plays. I would like them on there on merit though. Explorers are cool and a black LP is pretty sick.

I've been a pretty huge fan of Megadeth since Peace Sells. It probably took me a few months at most to realize that Mustaine is kind of a dickhead.

Sure enough, the two times I met him, even when he's being "nice", he's still a sarcastic, know it all, my-shit-don't-stink kinda guy. :dunno:

Anyway, the inlays suck all kinds of ass.

He is a total asshole, no questions about that. I don't like listening to the guy on interviews either, he always comes off as a bitter know it all. Get over yourself buddy. Yeah you are tough and love your BJJ. Nobody gives a shit when you are a snarly 60 year old, we already have plenty of those people and nobody likes them.

Let's face it, he whores himself to whoever throws him free shit. He understands how the biz works.

I personally think it was kind of funny to hear him talk shit about Jackson after moving to Dean... real eye rolling kind of commenting, so take it with bag of salt for sure... I have no doubts his custom guitars are good, it is just becoming repetitive to trash former gear and praise the new guy.
Exactly.

Just my opinion but back a few years ago when Gibson was making robot guitars, reverse Vs, and other idiotic creations, there is no way they would attract some of the artists they are now. Now they can explore that a bit.

Attachments

• Mustaine_4.jpg
    Mustaine_4.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 31
In 2001 or 2002 I bought a white Y2KV from Jason Kae at Drum City Guitar Land. Shortly after I was talking to Jason about the guitar and he said the Jackson reps wanted all the Y2K Vs back that weren't sold yet...

Must've been late 02 into 03 because Dave wanted those guitars back when Fender bought Jackson
Speaking of which, what year was it when Fender acquired Jackson?

Back