Declining Quality - Gibson Guitars

I was one of the perhaps few who really liked the feature set of the LP Signature Player Plus model, so I got one back at the end of 2018 when MF ran a good deal on the few remaining ones and I guess I lucked out. It has been a fantastic instrument, although not perfect.

The nut slots could have been cut a little bit better as there are some string binding/tuning stability issues. I have a string butler on it right now and use some lube and with that it actually holds tune very well, but eventually I will take it in and have the nut…massaged…so the string butler won’t be necessary.

Only other issue was just that I don’t like the Burstbucker Pro pickups, but I threw some Marshallheads in it and couldn’t be happier.

I also have an 06 Explorer that I’ve had a love/hate relationship with all the years I’ve had it because of some issues with the original nut and bridge, plus it’s just one of those guitars that seems super sensitive to temperature and humidity changes. However it is just such a great sounding and feeling guitar when set up right that I’ve stuck with it over time and have more love time than hate time.

I’ve seen that Gibson “Demo Shop” on Reverb and even been tempted by a couple things on it but I can’t imagine they would really be sending those flawed or demo’d instruments to retailers as if they’re new standard stock.

It’s so hard to escape all the big corporate BS in most of life these days, but not guitars. I’m not sure why anyone would pay small builder prices for a Gibson. It’s not like this is anything new either. The Ruokangas Unicorn I got is absolutely flawless and is a solid body that works 7.9 lbs with a nice tight low end too.

I've been playing and purchasing guitars since 1978. The finest constructed guitars (in my experience) were the early Charvel and Jackson San Dimas produced models. Norlin era Gibson's were fabulous! It was rare that you pulled a Gibson off the wall that didn't play like butter. Some of the finishes were spotty, but that wasn't common. Those maple necks made for some serious kick-a** tone and sustain! Nothing beats a maple neck. I've been through a butt-load of pickups over the years... The Gibson Tim Shaw humbucker pickups are still my favorite. Jackson guitars were so great, that it forced others to up their game. The early ESP guitars are a great example. 70's BC Rich were nice... but, they used a one-piece neck that ended-up warping. Once they adopted Charvel's scarf joint, the problem was solved. The early Kramer's were nice too. Their "flip-flop" finish was an industry first, that I recall. Music Man instruments are top-shelf all the way. Sorry... I'm babbling.

Back