Def Leppard - Poor Vivian...

Yeah, well they were a bit "rough" and then Mutt came along and polished them up, adding fairy dust for good measure.

Credit to the band for having the maturity to allow this IMHO when many wouldn't have, thereby missing out on the crazy success ride they "enjoyed".
Raw but not rough they were tight as fuck in 80/81

I absolutely agree with you on the fact music is now drenched in post-production, and live performances are locked to a click... Alot of modern AOR and Hard Rock is run through the same plugins and all aim for the same sound.

However, there are still bands out there absolutely doing what you've described, but hard rock and metal isn't mainstream anymore, so these bands don't get radio play. It involves a bit more digging, but you will seriously find some real great modern writing and production. The 70s rock revival a while back brough out amazing bands like Vintage Caravan etc with that old sound.

Seeing these new bands with flares and big Marshall stacks is really cool. (Not including Greta Van Fleet lol)

Just checked out Vintage Caravan.. dig the vibe. The production is polished but not overdone to the extreme like everything these days.

Didn't Mutt also produce Highway to Hell and Back in Black? Nothing wrong with those albums. I lost interest in Def Lep after Pyromania. That album was probably my first branching out album into harder rock other than VH.
Yeah. The greatest rock albums that are ever to be.

but let us shit on all of that. 60+ year old men, write music like 60 year old men.

Yeah. The greatest rock albums that are ever to be.

but let us shit on all of that. 60+ year old men, write music like 60 year old men.

lol so true. Like Madonna, hanging on, hoping to still be relevant and "hot".

Disclaimer: I suppose she looks good for her age and the amount of work she has had, but she creeps me out now and looks like a wax doll wrapped around bones.

I love Viv’s playing. I was front row for Last in Line and UFO before the pandemic. He was solid as a rock. It’s one of the reasons I bought an Engl e650.

I'm sure Vivian cries all the way to the bank. He can play whatever he wants any other time, with whoever he wants.
Phil did the G3 thing, he could easily do it.

Back