DELETE

This thread has introduced me to new adjectives to describe the tone of a guitar. Plasticy and Scratchy. Can't say that I know what they sound like, and I've owned some real POS guitars in my day.

Anyhow, I love my custom Suhr Modern. While it's certainly doesn't have a vintage vibe to it, one should be able to surmise that by the model name. Really a great guitar. I also have 2 Tom Anderson's that are phenomenal. If you like a thicker neck, TA is the way to go. Thinner, takes me the Suhr route.
Depends what neck you order. The Modern I bought used had a huge fat neck on it. I couldn't jive with it at all and returned it. Sounded great, but that thing made an LP neck feel thin. I'd try another with thinner neck specs, but I'd also like try an Anderson.

Pass. Nice guitars, but I've never connected with one. Would rather go for an Anderson. The old Mark Knopfler Pensa era ones are sick as fuck though. Pensa and Suhr used to make guitars together. They split in the early 90s. You can still get Pensa stuff, but it's not cheap.

VgPYq4i.jpg

Maybe you're just a nitro guy? Poly certainly does have a different feel. If I want vintage tones, the Suhr isn't going to be my first choice.
Yeah my guitars are mostly nitro, but also a few with just oil finish. My Vik and Dean Gordon still sound pretty modern to me despite the nitro finish

I like both vintage and modern flavors, but I just don’t like the plastic-y, sterile sound that I often hear in poly guitars

I've owned 3 and all were great. Finish flaws are surprising on a Suhr and not to be expected.

Actually the blue denim Fusionbear has used to be mine.

Hey man, is that a Modern Satin or did you have one made to be / look like one?

I ask 'cause the wood pattern is prominent and makes the look of the guitar. My Satin looks anaemic. I can't do anything about the lack of pattern, but I'm gonna stain it to pretty much the same darkness of your one I'm referring to. Off-the-shelf it's the same shade as the headstock on your maple-necked FL geetar on the left of your pic.

That's Koa.....how dare you.

Some of the best feeling and playing guitars I won are Suhr guitars. I own a lot of everything and have nothing but respect for John and Company. He will make you what you want and if you have an issue, their customer service is great so I can't imagine you not being taken care of. It's possible they may not be your thing but liking an Anderson and not liking a Suhr is interesting to me because to me, those two companies are about as similar as similar can be.....and both great companies mind you.

I’ve found almost all the Suhr guitars I’ve played to sound sterile. If you’re like me and after Tone rather than aesthetics then I think there are much better guitars out there both in that price range and for less. I know others will disagree though

I also tend not to like poly guitars unless it’s a very thin finish. Tends to make the guitar sound kinda choked or suffocated/doesn’t breath and can sound plastic-y. Imo such a waste of good Tone wood when they do that
This! I felt the same way on the one i owned. It was perfect! Played like a dream. But Sterile is the perfect word for how it sounded to me. YMMV

In no way can I contribute any opinions strat related but when I was having a custom built for me prior to final fit and finish the guitar was assembled to try and nothing is better than a completely unfinished guitar. The experience overall is unmatched in terms of feel and tone, it seemed highly responsive. I remember asking if we should just keep it that way and was told it would not be good for the guitar. It would just absorb everything, crack over time ect...

I had a Suhr Tiger. It was sterile with the Dougs Humbs, so I changed it to Dimarzo Gravity Storm and the guitar got better mids and bass.
It had a fret problem on the E chord and 5th space. The string was always falling out the scale.
My Charvel EVH Art was way better.

For an established-design bolt-on with relatively standard woods/parts there is a price point where it becomes too expensive. And there will always be a market for them. Suhr makes killer stuff no doubt. And if I had the coin I'd probably own a Suhr guitar but they are priced at that "no way could I pay that for a bolt-on Strat" point.

I guess another way of saying it is: you can build/buy a guitar every bit as good for way less. I don't think that extra $2k-$4k is necessary to get an equivalent product. But all this is not to say Suhr doesn't make great stuff, they do. It's just too pricey for me.

I think I can imagine what plastic-y and scratchy sound like, hell I know what 'brown' sounds like. Piezo saddle pickups in acoustic guitars...now that sounds plastic-y to the tenth power.

I guess another way of saying it is: you can build/buy a guitar every bit as good for way less. I don't think that extra $2k-$4k is necessary to get an equivalent product. But all this is not to say Suhr doesn't make great stuff, they do. It's just too pricey for me.

You aren't talking apples to apples. Get a california business, pay for facilities and machinery, hire competent employees who are skilled at what they do at their proper wage, Source and acquire the woods, etc, etc, etc and you may not be able to make the guitar as cost effective or as good. Saying you could buy parts and throw it together for less and have it be just as good is probably not an accurate analogy....though you could have a nice parts caster for sure.

Pass. Nice guitars, but I've never connected with one. Would rather go for an Anderson. The old Mark Knopfler Pensa era ones are sick as fuck though. Pensa and Suhr used to make guitars together. They split in the early 90s. You can still get Pensa stuff, but it's not cheap.

VgPYq4i.jpg

You can get Suhr to make that exact guitar for you, the pensa Suhr knopfler is playing in that pic I mean.

There are duds in any make and model from time to time. Suhr makes excellent guitars! You never can tell if any piece of wood is going to sound flat or not. I think boutique builders will even admit that. Suhr has excellent customer service and stands behind its product.

This is my opinion but I think a lot of times "duds" are the result of some customer orders putting aesthetics in mind and not what practically works. I see a lot of younger players that spec the guitar with exotic woods for the body, tops and necks that don't always play well together. Sometimes having so many options end up shooting the guitar in the foot. This isn't a builder issue but mistakes that players make specing an amazing looking guitar and not thinking about all of the parts contributing to the sound. This isn't exclusive to Suhr. I love Anderson guitars and have custom-built a handful over the years. Some were better for what I like to play and hear. I have settled on four of my custom builds that will never leave my side. As for finish issues...give the company's customer service a chance to make things right. Suhr has some great service and I know John cares about each and every instrument that leaves his shop.

Back