Devin Townsend Quarantine Benefit Concert

dirtyfunkg":1qvym6oo said:
Looks like a FM3 right behind him.

Yep. He's pretty much a Fractalien these days. I had that going in the background while I was working today...amazing stuff! That dude is SO talented...

My FM3 should be here on Thursday! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
He totally cracks me up, its been good to laugh through all this crap
Plus we got to hear some unexpected SYL!!

Chris O":189j3wbh said:
dirtyfunkg":189j3wbh said:
Looks like a FM3 right behind him.

Yep. He's pretty much a Fractalien these days. I had that going in the background while I was working today...amazing stuff! That dude is SO talented...

My FM3 should be here on Thursday! :thumbsup:

Ridiculous how talented he is. I only recently discovered him and SYL and, man... he's already a good guitarist, but then he sings? No fair.

I mean, yeah, very fair... the guy worked and practiced his ass off on guitar and voice to get where he is. What's unfair is that his voice has stayed as pristine and durable as he gets into his late forties.

The only guy who comes/came close is Chris Cornell, but Dev is clearly the superior technical guitarist. Songwriting still goes to Cornell though, and ultimately that's what it's all about (IMHO).

Dev's 100% Fractal these days. That FM3 is also being given away to a lucky winner at some point. The proceeds of ticket sales are going to select hospitals in Canada, UK and US, I could be mistaken, but I believe the ticket puts you in the lottery. There's a few other goodies being given away as well, his Fishman pickups, some strings, etc. I think he goes over it at the end of that video.

We caught him about 2 shows before he had to cancel the tour. Half his band and himself were all sick. They put a couch on the side of the stage so one of the guitar techs could just lay there and tune guitars during the set. Both Dev and Keneally sounded fucking great, tone wise. Dev apologized for his voice not being up to par at the start of the show, then went on to destroy pretty much every vocalist out there right now. A couple times he had to let Keneally and Che' take over a chorus or a line, but he was still flawless. He's definitely of the type that will say "Fuck this, I'm not going to let this flu dictate how I sing, I'm going to hit higher, crazier notes and scream more"....he really went apeshit on the mic that night several times in defiance of being sick.

He's been broadcasting on Twitch for the last several weeks and doing live mix sessions and little sets of just him and a guitar without backing tracks. You can watch the past broadcasts here- https://www.twitch.tv/devin_townsend (Not sure if you can view live broadcasts without signing up)

Matt @Fractal said Dev's preset will be out next month. Not sure what avenue they'll be releasing it, if it's something Fractal is doing or Dev is doing. If I remember right, he's just using one preset and using all the scenes. It was pretty basic, I think it's basically heavy rhythm, lead and clean, then quieter versions of them that he can use in rehearsals to show people how parts go and/or speak while not blaring through the PA. He's going all direct and before the tour shot his own IR's at a studio after going through a shitload of them and being frustrated. I can share that feeling, I've got over 15,000 IR's and maybe use like 5.

He's got another concert coming up this weekend. They all sold out, which is funny for a broadcast, but they released like 500 more tickets for the two remaining shows.

Literally the only dude who I can think of that could go out and tour and play 100% with backing tracks , NO BAND , and be absolutely entertaining.

Norton666":2ggj8mn4 said:
Literally the only dude who I can think of that could go out and tour and play 100% with backing tracks , NO BAND , and be absolutely entertaining.

The flip side of that is that before he had to cancel the tour he was doing a couple months ago, they weren’t using any backtracks or click tracks at all and it was the best his live shows ever sounded.

Back