Diezel Amps @ 50/60Hz Long Term Solution.

Philip

Dear Guys..

I've tried finding the REAL answer to this question, and yet i seem to get different answers from different amp techs. So here goes

If i own a amp, being Diezel or any other make thats designed to run at 120Volts@60Hz only (not 50/60Hz) and i want to run it in Australia for example which is 240Volts@50Hz, should i use a step-down transformer to convert the Voltage to 120Volts or 100Volts for long term use? because some amp techs are telling me to decrease the Standard Voltage by 20% because of the Hz difference for long term, otherwise the Input Transformer of the amps are closer to saturation and may cause the internal windings to short?

Any Professional help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Peter can ANY tech do this mod? Because I Might need to solder mine to 110v when I move back to America (and I wanna take my baby with me)

Why don't amps have a voltage selector switch on them these days? I remember seeing some old Fender or Marshall amps that had this.

Hi all,
I guess i need a little help for clarification and safety purposes. So more than a decade ago i got my amp (Diezel VH4) in England, since i have moved to China and i brought my amp here. Here the electricity is terribly instable, never constant, sometimes its around 217V, sometimes over 230V. Sometimes my whole rig sounds very powerless, muddy, loses distortion and life. A friend of mine who is way more experienced and knowledgeable about these things once measured everything in my apartment and told me that the electricity is crazy and the voltage is not the only inconsistent thing here. In the last few days i tried as many different things as i could, furman power conditioners, different power regulators (cheap local made ones) but nothing worked. I think however now i have found a "magic" device that keeps everything constant and allows me to set the voltage and frequency to a desired level, its name is Kikusui pcr500m. I plugged it only for a few minutes, didnt change any setting son it, but the result is already better than it was. Please forgive me, i have really no experience and knowledge in this field. Where should i set the voltage and frequency to get a good result? I always thought, 220V and 60Hz is optimal, well maybe im too old and/or i never really had to deal with this before, but now i always hear about 230-240V and im a little confused. Should i turn it up to 240V? Wont it blow the amp or something? What should i be aware of? How not to damage my amp and pedals and if possible how not to kill myself? I would be very appreciated for any help and please forgive me for not having any idea about this issue.
vh4.jpg

Thank you very much. Honestly, im dumb as hell. Is it okay to feed the amp with 240V for sure? Also, at this moment the power supply feeds a solid state bass amp, studio monitors and my pedal boards. Is it better if i unplug all and just leave the amp on this power supply?
If the amp is wired for 240V as labeled it should be powered from 240V!

Thank you very much. Honestly, im dumb as hell. Is it okay to feed the amp with 240V for sure? Also, at this moment the power supply feeds a solid state bass amp, studio monitors and my pedal boards. Is it better if i unplug all and just leave the amp on this power supply?
That power supply seems to be rated at 500VA, it means it could only supply VH4 (when pushed) and pedalboard.

Studio monitor and bass power amp may not need it as they may be already in Class D, so they have it internally already.

Yes you should use the voltage as labeled on the back, unless someone modified it.

Thank you again, then i guess i will only feed the amp and the board off of this power supply, let everything else run from regular 220V. One more stupid question then i promise i will stop killing your brain cells. Do i damage the pedals if i run them off of 240V ? Could i damage anything by doing it like a computer or an audio interface?

Thank you again, then i guess i will only feed the amp and the board off of this power supply, let everything else run from regular 220V. One more stupid question then i promise i will stop killing your brain cells. Do i damage the pedals if i run them off of 240V ? Could i damage anything by doing it like a computer or an audio interface?
Usually the pedals has another power supply and doesn't run directly from mains, and usually the power supply should have the ratings label on it, do you have a picture of the label I can check?

Usually the pedals has another power supply and doesn't run directly from mains, and usually the power supply should have the ratings label on it, do you have a picture of the label I can check?
Unfortunately no label or anything on the power supply but its a Strymon Zuma.

Back