Diezel D-Moll versatility

hopesfall

Hello fellow Diezel lovers,

I have been wanting a Diezel amp for the longest time, ever since i got into Tool in high school, but back then(15 years ago) all I could afford was a crappy Marshall MGFX SS amp.

Recently i got a Diezel VH4 pedal and it did satiate my thirst a bit but now i just want more of that sweet responsive gain (played through a TSL601 combo sounds great, gives it that missing edge TSL series lack).
Also recently I tried a VH4 from 2006 and it didn't feel right, especially during palm mutes, way too muddy even after messing with the EQ. I found out later that pre 2007 models were different but you know that story already.

So now i'm in the market for a new amp and D-Moll caught my eye so I wanted to ask you lovely people how versatile is it? Can it get into the VH4 territory? I mainly play heavy music but i also need a good clean for ambient stuff.
Stuff like: Tool, Isis, Neurosis, Rosetta, This Will Destroy You, Russian Circles etc. Throw in the occasional SiKth and Protest the Hero for fun and practice. I also record my own stuff.

I'm also open to suggestions, VH2 maybe? Did the new voicing on the VH2 "ruin" the amp? Paul? Can it roar?

Mainly a bedroom player and lugging around a VH4 and a cab for occasional rehearsals does not sound like fun.

BTW after reading the recent forum activity here definitely looking forward to NAMM, hopefully we get that lunchbox from Diezel.

Thanks

Of the many amps I've owned, the DMoll has to be the amp I've liked the least. Took about 2 days before I listed it. It had a very soft attack, especially in the lows, and the mid voicing is very low mid dominant. Just not my thing at all. If slow and low is what your after you may dig it. I owned an MKI Herbert and liked it MUCH more than the DMoll. I'd love to try a VH4 someday.

hopesfall":2vq5oq66 said:

I'm also open to suggestions, VH2 maybe? Did the new voicing on the VH2 "ruin" the amp? Paul? Can it roar?

BTW after reading the recent forum activity here definitely looking forward to this year's NAMM, hopefully we get that lunchbox from Diezel.

Thanks

Having had D-Moll, VH4, Hagen and currently VH2, my thumbs are clearly for VH2. It is simple, yet versatile. "Modernization" did not ruin it at all, it can do the old tricks and new ones as well, roar included :)

I'm also waiting the updates on Diezel lunchbox. As a bedroom player, the watts are not so mandatory...

TTV":7piuwzgf said:
hopesfall":7piuwzgf said:

BTW after reading the recent forum activity here definitely looking forward to this year's NAMM, hopefully we get that lunchbox from Diezel.

Thanks

Having had D-Moll, VH4, Hagen and currently VH2, my thumbs are clearly for VH2. It is simple, yet versatile. "Modernization" did not ruin it at all, it can do the old tricks and new ones as well, roar included :)

I'm also waiting the updates on Diezel lunchbox. As a bedroom player, the watts are not so mandatory...

Awesome collection! Can I come live with you for a few days and try all those out? haha

I was initially considering VH2, but that thing is huge too, I think they could've easily used a Paul/D-Moll/BigmaX style body considering it's a stripped down version with less features than D-Moll.

hopesfall":l1a25dvy said:
Awesome collection! Can I come live with you for a few days and try all those out? haha
Sorry, VH2 is the only Diezel inhouse at the moment. Luckily he has some friends: Revv G120 and 2 Custom Bluetone heads. Please throw a message when visiting Finland :thumbsup:

TTV":1oixrqmk said:
hopesfall":1oixrqmk said:
Sorry, VH2 is the only Diezel inhouse at the moment. Luckily he has some friends: Revv G120 and 2 Custom Bluetone heads. Please throw a message when visiting Finland :thumbsup:

Oops I read your message wrong, probably a side effect from reading these forums a lot lately (you people tend to have 3-4 Diezels haha).
But that is also quite a collection, that Revv sounds great from what I've heard on the vids, and looks sweet.

Thanks for your suggestion, i'll reconsider the VH2 despite it's size, if I end up in Finland someday i'll remember you :)

Hey Man!!

As far as the D-Moll's considered, I think it's a tremendous amp for the money; and even irrespective of the more reasonable price-tag, it's a kickass amp. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this amp, and also respect people have their own opinions as to what they like - but I've run the gamut of Diezels - The D-Moll and the Hagen are my two most played Diezels. Sure, I'm the oddball, whatevvs (yes, a VH4 is in the hizzy too, but believe it or not, I prefer my Hagen hands down for "that" kinda music).

ANYWAY - where to begin.

The D-Moll is by no means a diminuitive amp - it's headshell may look smaller, but it's deep, and weighs a helluva lot. In fact I think it weighs more than the VH4 if my memory serves me correct. It's a beast - monstrous trannies - impeccable build quality (as I've come to expect from these works of sonic art!!) and it's DAMN versatile, so long as you like your music with a bit of bite and hair!!

On with it...

Channel One: It can be incredible sparkling and clean - super crisp and crystal. It can round up a bit depending on how you work the EQ, give it a bit more piano like depth. It can also get nice and toothy - some real nice grind can be had with the gain worked up on this channel. This channel works hard to offer a lot of terrain, and it's a glorious channel from (here it comes) "clean to mean".

Channel Two/Three: Shared EQ, Channel 2 with some proper EQ can get into the ballpark of that VH4 Ch.3 territory. Never exact, but within the zone - you definitely "know" it's a Diezel. I spend a lot of time on Ch.2 and often use a clean boost (CAL Mk.4:23Pro) to make it go nuclear. I'm not a pedals guy, but this channel does take this particular clean boost real well to "thrash it up" a bit. But it's not necessary, because..... We have the "Third" channel. This isn't so much a higher-gain channel (although it does have one more stage to its circuit) than it is a slightly tweaked "mids" channel with more liquid, fluid sustain. Lead channel?? Maybe. Or, a different "mids" based main channel that you can use in tandem with the main Ch.2 channel. This amp does a HELLUVA lot and it does it really well. It's a neutral to bright amp, depending on what guitars you use - and it is sensitive to pups like all the other Diezels I've played, but maybe not AS sensitive as the Hagen or the V. But the depth and presence on this amp are incredible. The EQ makes excellent sense, and by no means is it a "diet-version" amp - it's its own beast. I'd liken it to a Herbert but with less compression, and 2 powertubes less (Herb's got 6 PTs, that's overkill LOL). ANYWAY - it's an amp that needs you spend some time with it... At first, I wasn't sure where it was going - seemed a bit glaring, a bit undefined in the low-end, etc. but as I gradually learned the EQ - and the cabs to use and fiddles it liked - it started to become one of the most played amps I have - it's pretty addictive. It also gets really f*cking juicy when you TURN IT UP!!!!! Loves to be played loud - BUT!!!! - as with all Diezels, has GREAT master volume attenuation. AND has the loops, and line-out. And the EQs are really sensitive so - given the right amount of time and understanding - you'll get to where you want to go... I do believe so. All this, and MIDI, and it's a goddamn powerhouse that, IMHO, rips most heavy-aimed amps a new arhoolie.

Then there's the variable Mid-Cut :LOL: :LOL: This basically offers another 3 channels to work with, with a totally different WAY more "metal" EQ to them. Maybe not as noticeable on Ch.1 (dependent on where your gain and EQ is at), but Ch.2 and Ch.3?? I use Ch.3 with mid-cut to cover NINs "Last" to a tee. Just to give you an idea. I have also used Ch.2 with mid-cut for the same tune, but the mid-positioning on Ch.3 works better for that particular song. I've done covers of "Thru The Eyes of Ruby" all with the D-Moll, and that song has a lot of thickness to it. The D-Moll killed it. So - 3 channels with a lot of breadth to them, and then another 3 channels with the mid-cut engaged.

Like I said, money aside - it's a fave of mine. But factoring in the more favourable pricing?? It's an absolute killer amp.

You'll hear beefs about the low-end, fuck 'em... It has low-end but not bass-player territory (Rev.2 style). It's versatile as all hell. With proper technique it'll palm mute REALLY percussively, but it also opens up to get thrashy and loose if ya let it. I run mine through an UberKab - seems to be the best cab for it and that's no dis to the FL-G12K Diezel makes, I just prefer it through the Uberkab.

Quiet amp, built like a tank, offers tonnes of tones, and kicks serious ass.
YMMV, but there ya have it.
And like I said, while no one Diezel is built for "everyone", I'd say stepping into the forray with the D-Moll is a great starting point. And this is coming from a guy who's played all the heavy hitters in the line up.

Hope this helps.
Unkle Mo

Ventura":3xzdwyhw said:
Hey Man!!

As far as the D-Moll's considered, I think it's a tremendous amp for the money; and even irrespective of the more reasonable price-tag, it's a kickass amp. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this amp, and also respect people have their own opinions as to what they like - but I've run the gamut of Diezels - The D-Moll and the Hagen are my two most played Diezels. Sure, I'm the oddball, whatevvs (yes, a VH4 is in the hizzy too, but believe it or not, I prefer my Hagen hands down for "that" kinda music).

ANYWAY - where to begin.

The D-Moll is by no means a diminuitive amp - it's headshell may look smaller, but it's deep, and weighs a helluva lot. In fact I think it weighs more than the VH4 if my memory serves me correct. It's a beast - monstrous trannies - impeccable build quality (as I've come to expect from these works of sonic art!!) and it's DAMN versatile, so long as you like your music with a bit of bite and hair!!

On with it...

Channel One: It can be incredible sparkling and clean - super crisp and crystal. It can round up a bit depending on how you work the EQ, give it a bit more piano like depth. It can also get nice and toothy - some real nice grind can be had with the gain worked up on this channel. This channel works hard to offer a lot of terrain, and it's a glorious channel from (here it comes) "clean to mean".

Channel Two/Three: Shared EQ, Channel 2 with some proper EQ can get into the ballpark of that VH4 Ch.3 territory. Never exact, but within the zone - you definitely "know" it's a Diezel. I spend a lot of time on Ch.2 and often use a clean boost (CAL Mk.4:23Pro) to make it go nuclear. I'm not a pedals guy, but this channel does take this particular clean boost real well to "thrash it up" a bit. But it's not necessary, because..... We have the "Third" channel. This isn't so much a higher-gain channel (although it does have one more stage to its circuit) than it is a slightly tweaked "mids" channel with more liquid, fluid sustain. Lead channel?? Maybe. Or, a different "mids" based main channel that you can use in tandem with the main Ch.2 channel. This amp does a HELLUVA lot and it does it really well. It's a neutral to bright amp, depending on what guitars you use - and it is sensitive to pups like all the other Diezels I've played, but maybe not AS sensitive as the Hagen or the V. But the depth and presence on this amp are incredible. The EQ makes excellent sense, and by no means is it a "diet-version" amp - it's its own beast. I'd liken it to a Herbert but with less compression, and 2 powertubes less (Herb's got 6 PTs, that's overkill LOL). ANYWAY - it's an amp that needs you spend some time with it... At first, I wasn't sure where it was going - seemed a bit glaring, a bit undefined in the low-end, etc. but as I gradually learned the EQ - and the cabs to use and fiddles it liked - it started to become one of the most played amps I have - it's pretty addictive. It also gets really f*cking juicy when you TURN IT UP!!!!! Loves to be played loud - BUT!!!! - as with all Diezels, has GREAT master volume attenuation. AND has the loops, and line-out. And the EQs are really sensitive so - given the right amount of time and understanding - you'll get to where you want to go... I do believe so. All this, and MIDI, and it's a goddamn powerhouse that, IMHO, rips most heavy-aimed amps a new arhoolie.

Then there's the variable Mid-Cut :LOL: :LOL: This basically offers another 3 channels to work with, with a totally different WAY more "metal" EQ to them. Maybe not as noticeable on Ch.1 (dependent on where your gain and EQ is at), but Ch.2 and Ch.3?? I use Ch.3 with mid-cut to cover NINs "Last" to a tee. Just to give you an idea. I have also used Ch.2 with mid-cut for the same tune, but the mid-positioning on Ch.3 works better for that particular song. I've done covers of "Thru The Eyes of Ruby" all with the D-Moll, and that song has a lot of thickness to it. The D-Moll killed it. So - 3 channels with a lot of breadth to them, and then another 3 channels with the mid-cut engaged.

Like I said, money aside - it's a fave of mine. But factoring in the more favourable pricing?? It's an absolute killer amp.

You'll hear beefs about the low-end, fuck 'em... It has low-end but not bass-player territory (Rev.2 style). It's versatile as all hell. With proper technique it'll palm mute REALLY percussively, but it also opens up to get thrashy and loose if ya let it. I run mine through an UberKab - seems to be the best cab for it and that's no dis to the FL-G12K Diezel makes, I just prefer it through the Uberkab.

And like I said, while no one Diezel is built for "everyone", I'd say stepping into the forray with the D-Moll is a great starting point. And this is coming from a guy who's played all the heavy hitters in the line up.

Hope this helps.
Unkle Mo

Wow, thanks for the write-up man, I enjoyed reading that a lot :)

However it seems we are getting a VH Mini in a month on NAMM, let's hope they finish it in time.

Then I will see what I will be getting, can't wait :D

hopesfall":1b6jew73 said:
Ventura":1b6jew73 said:
Hey Man!!

ANYWAY - where to begin.

On with it...

Hope this helps.
Unkle Mo

Wow, thanks for the write-up man, I enjoyed reading that a lot :)

However it seems we are getting a VH Mini in a month on NAMM, let's hope they finish it in time.

Then I will see what I will be getting, can't wait :D

Uncle Mo is the MAN. Perhaps the best reviewer since Rip Glitter on the HCAF days.

Much appreciated, thanks guys :worship:

I'm just passionate about toanz!!! :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

MerryXmasHappyHolidaysWinterSolstice
Unkle Mo

Hey Man!!

ANYWAY - where to begin.

On with it...

Hope this helps.
Unkle Mo
Its the Best reviews that i see

Hey Man!!

ANYWAY - where to begin.

On with it...

Hope this helps.
Unkle Mo

Sorry to revive a necro thread, but I have to thank Mo for his write up. I had been recently looking to buy another Diezel, and I figured I would repurchase a Herbert. It was my favorite of all the Diezels I had played, but I never found my Herbert tremendously versatile. It has amazing modern high gain tone, so it’s a worthy amp for sure.

However, Mo’s description of the D-Moll had me intrigued. I found one at a good price on Reverb (including the foot switch!), so I bought it. In short, it’s everything Mo said. Working the gain on Ch1 takes you from really sparkly cleans (especially when splitting both pickups) all the way to some great breakup/low gain crunch tones. Ch2 gain sweeps from dirty crunch to VH4 ch3 roar. Ch3 adds even more gain, with a bigger, darker tone overall.

The Mid cut, like Mo said, turns it into a 6 channel amp. For me, the EQ shift with the mid cut function puts the amp kinda in Marshall territory. Well, more like Diezel’s take on a high gain Marshall flavor, at least with my guitar/pickups and my ears. It’s close enough to cover Marshall tones easily.

The amp responds really well to volume knob roll off, too (more even than my Herbert did), so that adds even more flexibility.

In one package, you get a full on Diezel fire breather and the best modern Marshall tones in one box. Plus, it’s got better cleans than I have heard in any amp not made by Fender. It’s the most versatile tube amp I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned several dozen. It’s like the Kemper of tube amps :)

I can’t wait to profile it!

Attachments

• 20220708_204053.jpg
    20220708_204053.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 73
Sorry to revive a necro thread, but I have to thank Mo for his write up. I had been recently looking to buy another Diezel, and I figured I would repurchase a Herbert. It was my favorite of all the Diezels I had played, but I never found my Herbert tremendously versatile. It has amazing modern high gain tone, so it’s a worthy amp for sure.

However, Mo’s description of the D-Moll had me intrigued. I found one at a good price on Reverb (including the foot switch!), so I bought it. In short, it’s everything Mo said. Working the gain on Ch1 takes you from really sparkly cleans (especially when splitting both pickups) all the way to some great breakup/low gain crunch tones. Ch2 gain sweeps from dirty crunch to VH4 ch3 roar. Ch3 adds even more gain, with a bigger, darker tone overall.

The Mid cut, like Mo said, turns it into a 6 channel amp. For me, the EQ shift with the mid cut function puts the amp kinda in Marshall territory. Well, more like Diezel’s take on a high gain Marshall flavor, at least with my guitar/pickups and my ears. It’s close enough to cover Marshall tones easily.

The amp responds really well to volume knob roll off, too (more even than my Herbert did), so that adds even more flexibility.

In one package, you get a full on Diezel fire breather and the best modern Marshall tones in one box. Plus, it’s got better cleans than I have heard in any amp not made by Fender. It’s the most versatile tube amp I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned several dozen. It’s like the Kemper of tube amps :)

Truly is one of the most versatile amps in the Diezel line-up. Really happy you're digging it :rock:

I too just picked up a d-moll based, in part, on Ventura’s recommendation. Totally agree with everything in Squank‘s review. I’ll also add this—best master volume I’ve come across. Can play it late into the night with the fam asleep and still feel the tone of the amp.

A question for other d-moll/Diezel owners… I like to play everything from blues to rock to light metal. D moll seems great for this. For a nice SRV blues tone with a strat, other than some reverb in the loop, any pedal recommendations to push channel one into a nice Texas blues tone? Maybe something like a Tube screamer with the amps mid cut off or a transparent bluesbreaker style overdrive?

I too just picked up a d-moll based, in part, on Ventura’s recommendation. Totally agree with everything in Squank‘s review. I’ll also add this—best master volume I’ve come across. Can play it late into the night with the fam asleep and still feel the tone of the amp.

A question for other d-moll/Diezel owners… I like to play everything from blues to rock to light metal. D moll seems great for this. For a nice SRV blues tone with a strat, other than some reverb in the loop, any pedal recommendations to push channel one into a nice Texas blues tone? Maybe something like a Tube screamer with the amps mid cut off or a transparent bluesbreaker style overdrive?
A basic TS pedal should do just fine for that.

With the gain upped on Ch.1, I'd opt for a clean boost to get the SRV push. Not a dirt. YMMV.
🫡

Holy shit, the D-Moll fits on a Mesa 2x12 vertical cab?!

edit: I suck, this post is from 2 years ago (sorry)

Back