Diezel Herbert with axe fx ultra in fx loop phasing issue

Pouls79

Hi,

Just got my first Diezel amp, Which is awesome by the way:) what I want to do is to use it with axe fx in the fx loop not in 4cm as that sucks the tone of the head. When I connect the head's parallel send into axe input1 rear and output 1 to amp's return phasing issue occurs, Very annoying.
Mix knob is in max position, in axe fx simple preset with no effects, amp cab sims, just straight signal.
I know the signal in axe fx is being converted to digital and than back to analog what makes the slight latency and signals are out of sync which is making the sound horrible and out out of phase. What is I'm doing wrong? There has to be a way to get them work together

Thanks

Welcome to the board :thumbsup:

Please take a look at the manual and "kill dry"
for the parallel loop on your effect unit.

Every unit with phase converting or AD/DA
processing will cause time delay which results
in an ugly flanger effect.

Further I would use the serial loop. So your
compressor and noise gate (dynamic effects)
will work.

Thanks guys
Got it working now, I put it through switched loop send and paralel return which probably doesn't matter anyway but all I had to do is change the mix of the effect to 100% wet on the axe fx
Happy now
Awesome amp sounds killer at bedroom volume as well, now just need to play with the tubes as the el34's are not really my fav

Another question,
I tried the axe fx in serial loop but when delay is activated, only wet signal comes out no dry, what I mean I can hear delay feedback only not myself in actual time
Also, is there any way to set my midi pedal to be able to switch on the loop or mid cut without changing the channel?
Thanks again

In serial mode, if the Axe is set to 100% wet, you won't hear the original signal only the effect. I think you've got to readjust the mix inside the Axe back to whatever amount of dry you want to hear since the entire signal now goes through the Axe. In parallel mode, you set the mix of fx/dry on the amp - that's why the Axe is 100% wet. Pros and cons to both ways. If you don't feel the fx unit changes to sound/feel of your amp, you have lots more control - arpeggiators, pitch changes, etc. Some folks really want the unaffected dry sound of their amp plus some fx, so parallel is the way to go in that case. All driven by how you hear it. There are plenty of opinions over which is best.

Just so we're using the same terms: Program changes from your MIDI pedal changes patches saved on your amp. Channels in this case are not MIDI channels, but the ones on your amp - clean, crunch etc. Each patch contains: amp channel, loop on/off or other saved amp stuff.

With the VH4, in order to change the loop only, you have to save a different patch - one patch (amp channel 2 for instance, patch number 2) with the loop off, and another patch (amp channel 2, patch number 3) with the loop on. The current chip in there will only respond to program changes, not cc messages (which don't change patches). I'm assuming the Herbert has the same MIDI setup.

Wonder how difficult/costly it is to make that programming change? I've got another amp head that does this (one of the few that does) and it is very cool feature. For that one, I program my MIDI controller to have a "boost" cc assigned to one button. No matter what channel the amp is on, I can footswitch the boost on or off - same with the fx loop, master volumes, etc. - no need to make a separate patch for each configuration. It kind of ends up all the same, but it is nice to have that specific control over each function.

Thanks dude,
That would be cool to be able to switch the volume 2 on for the boost only, same way as you control axe fx but with roctron midi raider I've got plenty of switches to set it up the way you mentioned

Back