Diezel rack preamp?!

gkoepke

Now the Hagen is out anyone know if Peter stated working on the preamp for us rack mount freaks?!

Best preamp I have found so far is the ENGL 570. My VHT GP3 has been modified to get more gain but I still would like to see a Diezel preamp!

Forget the Triaxis, Marshall JMP1, ADA MP1 mods, Egnater M4(good if you like the EG5) and others...

Been wanting one for many years to pair with my Mesa Strategy 500 power amp and run split with my JMP-1.

Just started with the very early design on
the preamp but don´t want to tell too much.
It should be released in 2012.

;)

Peter much thnx for the update!!!!

You do have the magic hands and god smiled upon you when you were born to make such great sounding amps.

I also appreciate your personal responses as that is lost in today’s world of amp makers. They just pump them out with no care or thought of what people are asking for or want. While there are a few amp makers willing to heed the need you are in a class alone.

I am willing to pay the price for world class products and your time to create such masterpieces. These are the products that people hold on to and stand the test of time. There is only so much time we have on this earth to appreciate the finer things in life.

Again thnx!

I will wait until the rack mount Diezel hits the streets and look forward to getting Diezel tone!!
:rock:

http://www.gregkoepke.com
http://www.spoiledband.com
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1378328032

Greg

Let's give Papa some food. I am not the biggest expert in Diezels but have loads of preamps. Features could be...
[*] 4 Channels based on Hagen
[*] Add Herbert/Hagen switch for Ch. 1
[*] Add switchable Attack and/or tight switch for Ch. 3 or 4 (for the Thrashers)
[*] Add global Bright switch (you never know which Guitar you use)
[*] Add switchable Mid Cut (global)
[*] Add Post Input Pre Channel Insert (for Pedals)
[*] some more switching: all loops MIDI switchable
[*] 2x Stereo Outs
[*] give it a switchable insert for another Preamp

and ... don't forget to build the matching power amp.
Personally, I would want to see a unit that will finally match a VHT 2150.
[*] no less than 100 W for each side
[*] Hagen x 2
[*] look at the feature set of Engls E950 (never seen that one in reality) - amazing switching
[*] half power switches

Keeping in mind that every switching and routing feature is adding complexity/cost, and potentially eating away from tone impacting components, I would say:

-No loops, most folks have some switcher/looper/mixer already and if not, these are cheap to get. I find loops on preamps usually redundant.
-Midi for channel switching
-Maybe a second master volume, switchable (this is something that is more hard to achieve even in more complex rigs unless it's done in an FX processor, but then it's digital and maybe in a parallel setup not so effective)
-Something like the mid cut in herbert, switchable, to go from a mid heavy lead to a scooped rhythm tone, could be a global control to be added to any of the channels

What I would love to see would be a kind of "sag" or "sponginess" control on clean and crunch channels, to reduce stiffness if wanted. Quite often I find that different poweramps can achieve very different results in this department, and it would be nice to be able to add some "give" to the dynamics of the amp.

I agree with the looper. Might be a little tricky with parallel and pre-input loops. Also, after the preamp, you would be going stereo which might be a problem with serial devices again.

I think a Diezel preamp should be another milestone so I threw in what I like about other manufacturer's approach.
Another idea: What about a switchable Mid Boost for Solos?

I believe a second Master and Presence pot and (possibly even a second Preamp) might also be part of a power-amp-design.
That's why I mentioned the E950, it seems Engl have it all included but possibly never build that power amp.

Good point with the stereo Influenza, maybe overall better to drop any loops on the preamp and have people manage this part themselves between their pre and power stages.

One of the biggest challenges will probably be space.

4 channels on 2U will be hard to achieve.

We don't need another Mak4 kind of layout. Not saying the Mak4 is bad, I think it sounds awesome on clips, but it's just too large, probably costs Mako like 50% of their potential customers they could have had on 2U or 3U.

Probably most people would accept 3U for 4 channels, but 2U would be ideal.

Actually if there are secondary boost/master functions, I don't think 4 channels would be needed, maybe 3 channels with some boost and tone altering functions would be more powerful after all. Or a layout à la H&K Triamp, with two gain/volume per channel and slightly different flavours, making it effectively a 6 Ch amp.

Ok I am shutting it now, I'll not get one anyways as I am not really into rack stuff anymore so much. Well things can always change though :p

I'd say keep it simple :
- 2 channels, clean and dirty, with a switchable second master, all switchable via Midi
- 1U ??
And that's all, something fine, great sounding, road ready, not too expensive :thumbsup:

Reiep":1sej6mtt said:
I'd say keep it simple :
- 2 channels, clean and dirty, with a switchable second master, all switchable via Midi
- 1U ??
And that's all, something fine, great sounding, road ready, not too expensive :thumbsup:

Hmm, you got point there.
Einstein kind of design?

I agree. Just add a boost function for more flexibility.

I am just stoked at the thought. I see more of my cherished $$ flying out the window.

I won't offer any ideas because Peter always has excellent design and feature sense. No matter what, it will be a DIEZEL :rock:

-GtarLover

I'd vote for the 4 channel design - let it be more expensive. However, I agree to the size aspect - no MAK-4 giant:
2U will be best. Randall's RM4 has 4 channels and houses probably more tubes than any competitor (11).
So there should be enough space in the unit.
Another big space saver would be a global programmable EQ section (Triaxis) that is shared by all channels. This will probably lead to making the unit completly programmable.

I see the price discussion. So an Einstein pre with 1 or 2U at a much lower price point would address a completly different market, I guess. Great, too.

Something great to share: I just found out that if you route a preamp into the return of a 6505+, you can switch channels and have two different Presence/Resonance settings. That's great! Every amp should have that!

Space??? Just give me all that in one head and forget about it. I could stop spending so much f'n time and money. The GAS Eliminator

Reiep":1z4xl6c1 said:
Piero the Guitarero":1z4xl6c1 said:
Peters best "product" will be released in december, so first things first :rock:
Not interested, it's not Midi switchable :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

But very likely will produce bunch of "sweet" tones.
...I agree with Piero - family first :yes:

Reiep":1en97l91 said:
Piero the Guitarero":1en97l91 said:
Peters best "product" will be released in december, so first things first :rock:
Not interested, it's not Midi switchable :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, it's not MIDI switchable, but it will be the first Diezel
which has not to be maintained by Papa, it has an "inbuild"
learn function and will make progress all by himself... :LOL: :LOL:

Remember how much time Peter spent in the past with free upgrades for VH4 and Herbert?

Not neccessary anymore ;)

Back