Diezel Shootout

Orvillain

I did a quick shootout with some Tool riffs, using the VH4, Hagen, and D-Moll.

I'm using my real Egnater 4x12 cab here. Not the Suhr loadbox. The loadbox just lives there.

SM57 and 421 on the two bottom speakers of the cab. Speakers are Chinese V30's.

I'm using my real Egnater 4x12 cab here. Not the Suhr loadbox. The loadbox just lives there.

All sound great, but damn, that VH4 slams! Great video and great playing!

I like the VH4 and the Hagen fairly evenly, then the D-Moll. The VH4 has its iconic voicing going on, then I really like the mids of the Hagen. Can't get into the D-Moll for some reason, also haven't owned one so not used to its tone. Cool video!

Last edited:
I love seeing diezels get love . I’m at s loud ass bar so I can’t listen . But love Diezel lol

I like the VH4 and the Hagen fairly evenly, then the D-Moll. The VH4 has its iconic voicing going on, then I really like the mids of the Hagen. Can't get into the D-Moll for some reason, also haven't owned one so not used to its tone. Cool video!
I think I could've scooped the mids on the D-Moll a bit more. I tried to rely on the mid-cut, but I realised after doing the clip that the mids on the channel EQ were quite high.

I love all three amps to be honest, but yeah... VH4 and Hagen were the ones I preferred for this.

THOSE ARE MY THREE DIEZELS!!!!!!!

Man, great to see/hear this vid. I love these 3 amps. And ya, find myself between the Hagen and the VH4 a lot of the time, but my preference is impossible to pinpoint. Gotta have both. The D-Moll was my approach to getting the Herbert's mid-cut without going full 6 powertube mental.

THANKS FOR POSTING!!!!!
:rawk:

How the hell does one make a decision on amps like this with no ability to play them first! Thanks for making great videos like this, but it’s so hard to make a $5k decision on something ive never seen before…

Based on this I would pick Hagen, D-Moll, VH4. But that seems contradictory to just about everyone

How the hell does one make a decision on amps like this with no ability to play them first! Thanks for making great videos like this, but it’s so hard to make a $5k decision on something ive never seen before…

Based on this I would pick Hagen, D-Moll, VH4. But that seems contradictory to just about everyone
It depends on what music you prefer to play and what type of playing response you enjoy in an amp.

nice!
you can really hear the characteristics of each amp.
It's always a trade off. The Hagen sounds best EQ wise to my ears, but i find the distortion too rough.
The VH4 has a finer grain Distortion (which i love) but sounds kind of middier/narrower EQ wise.

It is what it is. In this shootout, I prefer Hagen, VH4, D-Moll....

But I've gigged the D-Moll so many times over the last 8 years or so, and I know I like. Genuinely think I just dialled it in a bit poorer than the others.

Back