Diezel VH4s more open mod???

maxxstock

Hi guys!
I am the proud owner of brand new VH4s, but I have some questions ...
How can I make the sound of channels 3 and 4 are less compressed and more open? There is a lack of high frequencies and the sound of freedom (((
I was searching for information about such a fashion, but never found!
Thank you for your help!
Maxx

you could wire resistors in parallel with the gain pots do ground
something like 68k or 82k straight to their legs
if it eats too much gain, you can use a higher value (150k or 220k, for example)
maybe a 250k trimpot instead
maybe peter can chime in

gaincut.PNG

But wait!!!!! What tubes are you using at what bias are you set at???

Don't start soldering shit till you know what's pumping out the tone!! :gethim:

V.

NONONO...

I'll say this for Peter!

There is nothing wrong with your VH4!

Then Peter may say...

email him at

peter at diezelamplification dot com

maxxstock":1azcd6qz said:
Installed Rubby EL34 set. And how to check the setting Bias?
You have to open the amp to do so. If you are comfortable with electronics work then see diezel's website for bias tutorial. Also look for youtube video Olaf demonstrates the process. There are high voltages inside. If you're not confident please bring it to a skilled tech.

ericsabbath":1ow3ho4i said:
you could wire resistors in parallel with the gain pots do ground
something like 68k or 82k straight to their legs
if it eats too much gain, you can use a higher value (150k or 220k, for example)
maybe a 250k trimpot instead
maybe peter can chime in

gaincut.PNG

Sorry but this schematic reminds me on the stone edge ;)

maxxstock":370hsi6x said:
Hi guys!
I am the proud owner of brand new VH4s, but I have some questions ...
How can I make the sound of channels 3 and 4 are less compressed and more open? There is a lack of high frequencies and the sound of freedom (((
I was searching for information about such a fashion, but never found!
Thank you for your help!
Maxx

Welcome to the board, Max !

After 2005 there is no need for any "more open mod". Sometimes
people hear about a mod and think it´s necessary.
It isn´t. Just simply lower the gain or don´t use high
output pickups.

What is the serial number of the amp ?

Best regards,
Peter

Peter, is this just fact to reduce gain to get a more open sound? because of compression? Or does this depend on the "different circuits" of amps?
F.e., i never noticed that on marshalls. Maybe because their are so bright?!?! :confused:

I always wanted to ask you this but forgot it every time.

Thx!

The more I walk the Diezel path, the more I realize that a lot depends on your playing and what you plug in these amps.
I mean, they're so sensitive and responsive that you can achieve all the tones you're looking for without messing with a soldering iron.

Imho you could start by lowering the gain and see what happens: when I first got mine I felt like sometimes I needed more gain (especially on CH3) but after a little while I realized that I had to adjust my playing style to really make the most out of its tightness. There was already way more gain that I actually needed, I just had to learn how to manage it. To me the gain structure on the VH4 is so unique that this "calibration" step is really the first to take, especially before making mods.

If this doesn't work, then you can start looking at your chain: type of guitar, pickups, cables, effects or every other device you put between your axe and the amp (bad cables, bad buffered stompboxes and stuff like that tends to suck a lot of high frequencies).
Also the cab makes a whole lot difference. Sometimes you lose your sleep behind a cap, a resistor and this kinda stuff, then you try another cab/speaker and you instantly get a completely different tone.

At the end of this journey, if you really can't achieve what you want, you can start looking at the amp (preamp/power tubes first, then mods), but I wouldn't go that route before trying all the other steps first.

This is just my opinion based on the direct experience with my VH4, hope it helps! ;)
Good luck! :thumbsup:

Paul

Peter Diezel":khxygrch said:
Just simply lower the gain or don´t use high
output pickups.

This is what I did. I stopped using my Les Paul and replaced it with a Tele and and Strat. Now the sound is good :) When I first used a Strat with my VH4 it was like: baaaam there it is :rock:

I have a Herbert not a VH4

Since i got my Herbert i noticed that the gain sensitivity off the amp is like no other amp i had before.

Using higher gain resulted in a thinner and compressed sound. After alot of fiddeling i found that using a lower gain setting and using more channel volume gave me a more open sound.

It was something getting used to, it felt like something was missing, but it made me understand more about equing and made me a far better player. Using less gain makes you hear more mistakes and forces you to play cleaner.

Ive also did the lower gain thing afterwords with engl's and soldano's, i had the same results, i got a ''Fatter and more open tone'' just find the sweet spot(just before you get more compression and fizzle, if im explaining it right)

And how do you run you gain?
And don´t you have the feeling to loose some distortion? More than you want?

@Peter

Ok is this the reason i always feel ch.3 more open sounding than ch.2, because ch3 gain is at 10-11 o´clock and ch2 is at noon-13?
I never ever thoght that it depends on that?!?! :no: Just because like its written in the manual, that ch3 has more gain than ch2 on equal settings.

I only need to understand some things. :doh:

shadow070":g673jspn said:
I have a Herbert not a VH4

Since i got my Herbert i noticed that the gain sensitivity off the amp is like no other amp i had before.

Using higher gain resulted in a thinner and compressed sound. After alot of fiddeling i found that using a lower gain setting and using more channel volume gave me a more open sound.

It was something getting used to, it felt like something was missing, but it made me understand more about equing and made me a far better player. Using less gain makes you hear more mistakes and forces you to play cleaner.

Ive also did the lower gain thing afterwords with engl's and soldano's, i had the same results, i got a ''Fatter and more open tone'' just find the sweet spot(just before you get more compression and fizzle, if im explaining it right)

Shadow,

please send me an email with Your serial number.

Thanks,
Peter

Thanks you Peter and guys!
I will try.
I guess I did not explained the reason for my excitement ...
Before I got VH4s and played on a Mesa Boogie 2ch.rectifier, and it seemed to me that there is more than treble and presence ...
I guess I just can not get enough of presence and the treble in my VH4? That is the question of brightness amplifier excites me more than the amount of his gain.

That´s the taste of a designer. I don´t like
this weak treble insects pearcing Your ears without
moving the air.

Back