Difference between Marshall GB cab vs. Standard 1960?

Yeah obviously the speakers. But construction wise, is there a difference between the AX/BX cabs from the regular 1960 cabs? Love the look of a beat to shit greenback cab with the gray grill cloth. Thinking about getting one used and switching out greenbacks for V30/T75's.

Construction wise, all the 1960 cabs have been built the same way since the '74 or so. They just change grill cloths and speakers to get 1960b v 1960bx v 1960bv etc.

I think some of the AX (GB) cabs only have 1 solitary 16ohm input as well, whereas the 1960 cabs have the stereo/mono jackplate.

D-Rock":fu8fauji said:
I think some of the AX (GB) cabs only have 1 solitary 16ohm input as well, whereas the 1960 cabs have the stereo/mono jackplate.

I wish they would wire all of them like this. Those cheap PCBs are shit..always heard the horror stories of them failing and sure enough, mine went bad. No damage to my amp, luckily.

glassjaw7":1c7yharz said:
D-Rock":1c7yharz said:

I wish they would wire all of them like this. Those cheap PCBs are shit..always heard the horror stories of them failing and sure enough, mine went bad. No damage to my amp, luckily.
I've rewired a few to mono, and plugged the jacks. Definitely an improvement.

I have an 85' JCM 800 1960A GT-75 loaded 4x12 and a late 90's JCM 900 1960A GT-75 loaded

The JCM 800 weighs about 7 lbs more

The handwired greenback cabs have metal handles, metal jacks, no corner protectors and soldered connections.

Back