Digitech drop pedal... any live users ?

Bash_Man

Been thinking about getting this pedal to save from having to bring multiple guitars to gigs, etc. 2 guitars (1 main, 1 backup) and change tunings with the pedal instead of right now 3 different tuned guitars and no direct backup without having to retune an entire guitar.

80% of the time, we're in standard. We also do drop D, E flat and every now and then E flat with Low Eb tuned to D flat.

Any live users who could give some thought on it ?

Thanks

Kyle Bull uses it in his live rig, My Live Rig For Human Animal on YouTube. The 5:38 mark is when he talks about it.

Last edited:
I used it live for a full step down tuning. I think if you go any lower than that, it starts to just become a fun toy more than a useful tool as it starts to sound unnatural and introduce a good amount of latency
Speak of the devil...
I enjoy your channel and your enthusiasm for all things metal.

Last edited:
I used one live for a few years for exactly the same reason- a handful of tunes are in Eb and it wasn't worth bringing another guitar for it or retuning mid-set.

I think it's pretty great for 1-2 semitones down. It does feel a bit odd - there's a tiny bit of latency to it - but you get over that really quick, especially for live use.

I've since replaced it with the Virtual Capo on my Helix Stomp, purely for the real estate savings. They're not too far off, though the Drop is better.

I used one for a few years for both rhythm and lead, and probably will again. I only used it for a half step down, because as Kyle said, it starts to sound a bit laggy, and loose. At home I use it even for tuning down a whole step and a half if I am feeling too lazy to retune.

Sometimes I wish it could tune up as well. If they made a version that would go up or down 2 half steps, I'd be all over that.

I used it for bass live and had no issues. I actually didn't have any issues going up to 2 steps. But yeah it works great for a step down but beyond that it's a matter of tastes. For me I didn't have a problem going from E to B standard but I can definitely see how it might not work for everyone.

Sometimes I wish it could tune up as well. If they made a version that would go up or down 2 half steps, I'd be all over that.

The Whammy DT does this and much more. It's huge, it's awesome.

https://digitech.com/dp/whammy-dt/

digitech-whammy-dt-pedal-hero-mobile-1.jpg

I personally feel the Drop is fantastic. I've toured with it for years with no issues at all. Now, I don't use it for more than a semi-tone or two, but there's no latency at all, rhythm or lead wise. I have read reviews where they say if you go down super low that there's a little bit of latency, but only then. We, two guitars and a bass, tune a half step down normally and then use the drop to go down another half step. The only issue that might plague you is if the natural acoustics of your guitar is louder than the sound from the amp. So, unless you're play at bedroom levels, that's not an issue. It's sooooo convenient to not have to bring out a boat load of guitars. Highly recommended.

I love my Drop. I use it for going down to drop C and drop B. For me it's still feels and sounds good going down 4 semitones. Beyond that it's still usable but not perfect. The octave setting is very good, I use it quite a bit.

Thank you everyone for your replies and info. Definitely gonna look at both products and see if I can justify getting the whammy DT or just need the DT pedal.

Most of the time I wouldn't go past half a semi tone.. but we've been wanting to try out some tunes that are tuned to standard D (low D dropped to C)..

Again.. many thanks everyone. 🤘🏻

I've used it live many times. Like others have mentioned, I found it decent to about a whole step down. I have used it lower but you need to put back some high end to compensate. It works great in a pinch if you can't or don't want to use multiple guitars and don't want or have time to retune.

I haven't seen a product yet that solves the known limitations. If someone has I'd definitely check it out.

Back