Disapointed at ESP

xzyryabx

My best friend purchased a custom ordered ESP a year ago and is the second owner of the guitar.
He babied that guitar like you wouldn't believe, and it recently developed a warped neck.
He contacted ESP and was basically told tough shit, you're not the original owner there's nothing we can do for you.
As you can imagine the guy is furious.
Do you guys think it's right that a company will not back their 5K+ instruments?!
Personally, I have 4 custom shop ESPs and I love them but I'm sticking with Suhr for the future since they will back their instruments 100% for the life of the instrument regardless of ownership issues in case something like this does happen.
/end rant

Id like to believe a little talking to the right person can get something done here....just gotta find that person...

Wouldn't humidity and all that jazz come into play? Would a warranty cover a warped neck if it's not in their "ideal" environment? Never had to deal with this issue but good luck to your friend.

I doubt that humidity and/or temp changes can cause a properly dried and cured neck to twist....maybe the action will change and the necks bow shifts, but a twist? in any case, the temp/humidity changes were not drastic.
We tried to reach out to their facebook page but the post was deleted, so we sent an email to Makoto Suzuki, one of the big honchos in Japan and well see what happens. He's not too optimistic.
But as a concept, we're not too happy with their "oh, you're the second owner? we're off the hook then" attitude for a 3 year old guitar that cost so much. The conversation with them literally took less than 3 minutes, but they did wish him goodluck.

xzyryabx":1g24f55j said:
I doubt that humidity and/or temp changes can cause a properly dried and cured neck to twist....maybe the action will change and the necks bow shifts, but a twist? in any case, the temp/humidity changes were not drastic.
We tried to reach out to their facebook page but the post was deleted, so we sent an email to Makoto Suzuki, one of the big honchos in Japan and well see what happens. He's not too optimistic.
But as a concept, we're not too happy with their "oh, you're the second owner? we're off the hook then" attitude for a 3 year old guitar that cost so much. The conversation with them literally took less than 3 minutes, but they did wish him goodluck.
ESP lists that their warranty is non transferable. When one buys one second hand their is that risk. Sucks.

NOTE: PLEASE CONTACT YOUR AUTHORIZED ESP DEALER REGARDING ALL
WARRANTY CLAIMS.
Your new ESP instrument is warranted to be free of any defects in materials and
workmanship if used under normal operating conditions for the life of the original retail
purchaser, subject to the limitations described below. This warranty is non-transferable and
applies only to the original purchaser when product is purchased as NEW from an Authorized
ESP Dealer. Instruments sold as Factory Seconds do not carry a lifetime warranty, but are
limited to a 90-day manufacturerʼs warranty. Electronic parts and guitar hardware are limited
to a warranty period of one (1) year from date of purchase

I get their warranty statement but I would expect that for their custom ordered instruments they would have different procedures. It's not a 500$ ltd afterall.
Most companies have crappy warranties like that bc they can get away with it.
Companies like suhr believe they make a quality instrument enough to back it and the customer 100%, and not even the custom orders. They know their guitars are well made and are willin to take a slight hit every now and then if something does to wrong, which is good for their reputation and good for the customer as well.
A one year warranty for an instrument that is meant to last a lifetime is not a good sign IMHO .

xzyryabx":22r5rtdi said:
I get their warranty statement but I would expect that for their custom ordered instruments they would have different procedures. It's not a 500$ ltd afterall.
Companies like suhr believe they make a quality instrument enough to back it and the customer 100%, and not even the custom orders. They know their guitars are well made and are willin to take a slight hit every now and then if something does to wrong, which is good for their reputation and good for the customer as well.
A one year warranty for an instrument that is meant to last a lifetime is not a good sign IMHO .
Unfortunately not the reality. They are much bigger than Suhr. ESP does 60,000,000 plus annual maybe more. They are part of several companies with 130,000,000 plus annual. Suhr is about as good as it gets also. Sucks for your friend because most issues of neck twists are from unstable wood.

As much as it sucks you can't expect a company to warranty or spend their money on a guitar that has changed hands...they have no idea what has happened to that guitar or where it's been... doesn't matter how much money the company is worth... they still aren't going to give money away...

Agree with Reza... contact the original owner, it's as simple as him making the phone call and starting the work order and then shipping it off with his return address on it... no biggie... have done this before myself with other products...

Edit: Oh and strangely enough... I purchased a gorgeous ESP Custom Shop Eclipse second hand years ago... and the fucking neck was warped as well... literally basically needed a new neck, the truss rod cranked all the way tight couldn't straighten it out... shitty...

Custom ESP's are some of the most ridiculously priced guitars I've ever seen for what you get. I wouldn't exactly feel all that good paying what Tom Anderson or Suhr wants for a bolt-on neck guitar either.
But, I don't begrudge someone who has the money and wants to buy one of those instruments. It's funny, considering how Japanese society is renowned for valuing honor. I would think a Japanese company with a high end product would not one of their products out there tarnishing their reputation.

xzyryabx":3vgqilll said:

I agree that it sucks to have a warped neck on a relatively new guitar.

I recently discovered a manufacturing defect in my 2006 Schecter C1.
Sent it to Schecter per their recommendation and they verified the defect.
I am getting a new C1 Classic, which they just reissued this year.
But, I am the original owner so per their warranty they made good on it.

Unless ESP's custom shop guitars have a different warranty, then that's what you're friend is left with.
I agree that from a positive customer service point of view ESP could/should help you buddy out.
Legally they don't have to, but commercially it looks bad for them as people read forums and word gets around.
I spread the word on how great Schecter treated me and that may help get some sales in the future.
Your story may hurt ESP in the future.
It may seem a small single case, but big things are made up of small things.

Keep perspective though, you're stretching the truth of the warranty cause you're upset.
The guitar is not just warranted for only 1 year.
The guitar is warranted for it's lifetime, to the original owner.
The 1 year warranty applies to hardware, which they don't make, but they chose to use.
It's a cop out imo. If you choose the parts, then you should cover the parts.

I hope your buddy gets a positive outcome.

Honestly, I don't see the problem here. ESPs warranty is clearly stated. Outside of that, they really don't have to do anything. But yeah, like others have suggested, have the original owner file the claim.

Does it suck? Sure, but thats just the luck of the draw sometimes. Can't be mad at a company for following their own policies.

xzyryabx":32192rco said:
I get their warranty statement but I would expect that for their custom ordered instruments they would have different procedures.
Apparently you don't get their warranty statement or you wouldn't have those expectations. It is what it is...there should be no surprises here. It sucks for sure, but if a warranty is important, buy new...or save a few $$$ and take a chance. ESP is no different than most other manufacturers in that they view the original purchaser as their customer and subsequent sales as competition. Very few musical instrument companies go out of their way to help out with second hand merchandise.

Mizati20":ilpfo4x0 said:
As much as it sucks you can't expect a company to warranty or spend their money on a guitar that has changed hands...they have no idea what has happened to that guitar or where it's been... doesn't matter how much money the company is worth... they still aren't going to give money away...
I think it's a way to offer an impressive warranty and be able to get out of it easily,how many people keep a guitar for life. More companies should be like Mesa. If you believe in your product back it no matter if the original owner sells it.

On the other hand auto manufacturer honor their warranty even if it has changed hands. A lot more can go wrong with a car and a lot more money invested too.

That is the warranty most manufacturers have. There's really no reason to fault ESP. Even small builders like Splawn do that. When you find a company that's willing to transfer warranty or even just moral support, to the second hand buyer, they're worth taking into consideration. In my experience, Mesa and Suhr have always been great that way.

Generally warranties are only valid to the purchaser of the new product and not transferable. It has nothing to do with ESP customer service or knocking them as every guitar mfg has a similar policy.

A warranty is still not enough for me to purchase high end gear new.

dfrattaroli":novjvlra said:
That is the warranty most manufacturers have. There's really no reason to fault ESP. Even small builders like Splawn do that. When you find a company that's willing to transfer warranty or even just moral support, to the second hand buyer, they're worth taking into consideration. In my experience, Mesa and Suhr have always been great that way.

Pretty much this. Their warranty is clearly stated, there should be no surprises that they follow their stated policy. There are VERY few companies that transfer warranties from the original purchaser.

Back