Disapointed in torpedo live makes loud noise when using

dreyerink

Hi,

I have recently purchased a torpedo live, I had to do this without testing this in a shop because there was none in the place where I reside. The only information I had to go on was youtube clips, reviews and the manufactures manual.

I'm extremely happy with the tone of this device, it really does live up to my expectations BUT (and a big BUT) when I crank up my amp past 2 on the master volume a distorted sound emits from the torpedo live, if I crank my amp up to 6 the volume of the sound is quite loud (the sound of someone talking loudly and if you play heavy metal the sound of a darlek talking loudly). I logged a support ticket with the manufacturer and I was told this is by design - nice.

My gripe comes from the fact that no where on the torpedo live web site is this fact stated that it makes a noise. And to make matters worse the manual states on page 15 that you can "plug headphones to the appropriate output and enjoy playing your amp LOUD in a total silence, at home" - this clearly isn't the case.

So now I'm stuck with a device that doesn't live up to my expectations, sure I can buy the more expensive VB-101 apparently this is totally silent but I'm very unhappy with the situation as I will probably loose money when I resell the device.

this is the first i've heard someone complain about this.
wait till sysexguy (or another member of the two notes crew) responds, i'm sure they can work out your issue for you.

The very nature of a load that is reactive is that it will resonate in synch with the incoming signal and this can lead to sound coming from the network. I'll have to defer to Guillaume for the technical details and what can be done to help. What amp are you using and how loud are you running it? Some amps are already outputting their rated wattages at master volume levels that appear quite low.

Andy

I have a 25 watt amp and the noise starts after the master volume is on 2 and is quite loud when on 5 (which is the sweet spot). I have read in other posts that it does make noise, which I read after purchasing. I'm unsure as to how much noise it should be generating and I'm particularly annoyed as the product manual clearly states that it is silent.

To be honest I would be happy with the device making some noise but the current level is unacceptable.

I answered you on the Help Desk, I think there is a chance the unit you have is defective.

If other users want to react about the noise of the Torpedo Live?

Of course the perception of noise is something personal, but the overall noise should be kept under the level of the string of your guitar.

What type of noise is it? I've noticed with my new Live that there's a "humm" or "buzz" that's present. However, that could be from the amp I'm currently using. I haven't tried my other amplifier yet. It doesn't really affect me that much luckily.

I noticed the same behaviour on my unit last night. I'd been working with headphones so I was blissfully unaware until I put the headphones down and struck a chord on the guitar and heard this distorted "sitting right next to someone that's listening to metal in crappy headphones" kind of noise that I at first thought was the headphones but quickly realized after disconnecting them that it wasn't. Mind you, the amp head I used last night was my OD100 Classic+ with Gain on 4, Volume on around 7 and with the loop activated using the Master volume also around 7 I believe (I'll verify these settings tonight) which are settings probably borderlining on illegal in most countries had that been through a normal cab. No indication of clipping anywhere though so I just assumed it was all fine. I fully understand that the unit's never gonna be 100% quiet but that was unbearable to listen to even for myself, let alone anyone else in the vicinity. I can shoot a quick sound recording of it and e-mail it, if so, which address should I use? Or should I open a case via your helpdesk first? I guess my other question would be if it's actually harmful for the unit even if there's no indication of any clipping going on in the software?

Mine seems to react differently to different amps. My when I'm using my engl, I don't get noise, but south my rectifier I get noticeable noise. Maybe I just don't run my engl quite as loud, but it's not too the point where it's to the point where I can't stand it. The first time I used my rec with it though I definitely did have a "what the Fuck is that"moment.

Back