Do Not Go Outside !!!

Donnie B.

Banned
So just now it gets really freaking noisy outside in a weird way.
For the record we have aluminum slat covered carports.

20210924_144810.jpg

These were dropping non-stop for about 5 minutes. Wish I'd had a field recorder set up. It sounded insane.

@Monkey Man

This is just a random one right in front of my house that was already partially melted.

Ever heard the phrase "golf ball size?" :oops: It was like that for a short and LOUD!!!!! bit.

For the record, ice bounces really good when it falls from the sky.

Oh, I know all-too-well, Brother Donnie.

In 2009 every skylight in the house (4 of them), as well as the clear corrugated cover over the rear decking were smashed to smithereens. The hailstones were roughly twice the width of golf balls. I taped the skylight apertures up with plastic sheeting to prevent rain and wind from blowing in and had to wait 3 months for them to be repaired, such was the backlog of work due to the hundreds of homes that needed it. About 50 litres of water and a bunch of stones made it into the kitchen and bathroom, but thankfully no internal damage.

Around 2012-2014 I was up at the fish 'n' chip shop when another one hit. I had to stand there and wait 'til I could walk home, only to find similar, albeit (thankfully) less damage than the 2009 episode.

Same thing happened again just 3 years ago, only this time I asked the repair guys to use opaque skylight domes 'cause I figured they'd be a little-bit tougher than the clear stuff used in 2009. Fingers crossed.

The stones across these 3 incidents ranged from double-golf-ball-sized to just under tennis-ball sized.

You mentioned the noise. In 2009 I was out walking on the bike track and made the call to turn around and head back home as I noticed the black blanket heading over my way. Walked calmly and you wouldn't believe it, the stones hit as I walked in the front door. The last few hundred metres to my house I could hear the roar on my tail as it swept across the neighbourhood, leaving a path of destruction in its wake.

By these standards, you got off lightly bro'. Interesting that it's happened on the back end of Summer for you 'cause all three that I experienced were in January or February, the equivalent of July or August for you.

Glad you're OK and I assume don't have to shell out for mucho damage?

You mentioned the noise. In 2009 I was out walking on the bike track and made the call to turn around and head back home as I noticed the black blanket heading over my way. Walked calmly and you wouldn't believe it, the stones hit as I walked in the front door. The last few hundred metres to my house I could hear the roar on my tail as it swept across the neighbourhood, leaving a path of destruction in its wake.

:oops:

Ya, relatively speaking this really was nothing. Remember, I spent my first 37 in northeast New England.
For SoCal it was really freaky though. All the neighbors were in their doorways shaking their heads and laughing.
And it was the aluminum carport roofs responsible for the crazy noise in an otherwise very quiet area.

More Noise
Spent the summer of 97 in Tempe, AZ and experienced one of those sandstorms they tell you about.
That was a non-stop ROAR that lasted hours.

NEVER mess with mother nature.
sand.jpg

Back