Do they make a decent rack mount multiple effects unit these days that doesn't have amp modeling?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start the hunt. I had an old Alesis Quadraverb II back in the day for the delay/reverb/chorus effects. I sold it here about 3 years ago for peanuts. I should have kept it, I just looked at what those are going for these days. LOL

G Major was the standard rack effects unit in the 2000s, save for anyone that could afford an Eventide (which I never saw in the club scene outside of pros). I remember struggling a bit with clipping on the GMajor but it was into a Boogie Mark III which doesn’t have a great loop.

When I got an Axefx, it was night and day better effects than the G major. Why not use a Fractal for effects and just not use the amp sims in the blocks? Plenty of pros do that. You could snag an old Ultra for a low price I bet—the effects on that are still awesome. It’s all over those first two Periphery albums for synth lines and stuff.

G Major was the standard rack effects unit in the 2000s, save for anyone that could afford an Eventide (which I never saw in the club scene outside of pros). I remember struggling a bit with clipping on the GMajor but it was into a Boogie Mark III which doesn’t have a great loop.

When I got an Axefx, it was night and day better effects than the G major. Why not use a Fractal for effects and just not use the amp sims in the blocks? Plenty of pros do that. You could snag an old Ultra for a low price I bet—the effects on that are still awesome. It’s all over those first two Periphery albums for synth lines and stuff.
^^^this^^^

I did the G-Major thing. Then I got an AxeFX.

The effects on the AxeFX are in a different league imo.

I run my in 4CM on a Marshall 410 HJS. It sound great. Just because amp and cab sim is there doesn’t mean you have to use it. Seriously, the effects on the AxeFX are that good.

I did get a XiTone MBritt. I have mine setup so that I can switch between the Marshall and the XiTone by switching presets.

Another vote for the Axe-Fx.

Even if you ignore the amp modeling entirely, you're still not going to find a more totally comprehensive or even better sounding multi effects unit anywhere, at any price.

The AFX III is great at amp modeling but I find the effects lacking for studio and good enough for live. They just don’t sound all that good to me.

Seems like you’d be happy with most anything on the market though. G major II, Alesis Quadraverb, anything Yamaha, Lexicon, Eventide, Line 6, etc.

I’m in the same boat. I run a pcm81 and a damage control timeline delay pedal in parallel mixed low. Simple pedalboard out front. I only want an spx90 to add and that’s all. KISS concept.

Even if you ignore the amp modeling entirely, you're still not going to find a more totally comprehensive or even better sounding multi effects unit anywhere, at any price.
I used an AxeFx Ultra for years and it was great.

However the Lexicon PCM and Eventide rack stuff is still in a different league IMO.

Has a magical 'mojo' that fractal miss.

Nobody rack mounts FX units anymore unless you are going for a retro look.

You stomp effects.

If you are a sound engineer then plugins for your DAW.

If you model FX then you use a Line6 HX FX.

Helix Stomp is easily the cheapest box of FX out there to match the real deal.

Rack-mounted FX is a bygone thing.

Nobody rack mounts FX units anymore unless you are going for a retro look.

You stomp effects.

If you are a sound engineer then plugins for your DAW.

If you model FX then you use a Line6 HX FX.

Helix Stomp is easily the cheapest box of FX out there to match the real deal.

Rack-mounted FX is a bygone thing.
Yeah nah...That totally depends on what your main need is.

If it's flexibility, reliability, modern tech with apps, suitable for playing live... then yes, there's heaps of options out there now.

Purely for sound quality - there's many people out there (me included) that will still claim high end rack effects are still king in the studio.

Eventide eclipse and Lexicon PCM 80 are my 2 favourite units... and I would never use them live or at a rehearsal

origin.jpg

That's so 80's.
TC Electronics sold to Behringer several years ago so you can kiss everything decent TC used to make goodbye because its gone.

The AFX III is great at amp modeling but I find the effects lacking for studio and good enough for live. They just don’t sound all that good to me.

Seems like you’d be happy with most anything on the market though. G major II, Alesis Quadraverb, anything Yamaha, Lexicon, Eventide, Line 6, etc.

I’m in the same boat. I run a pcm81 and a damage control timeline delay pedal in parallel mixed low. Simple pedalboard out front. I only want an spx90 to add and that’s all. KISS concept.

I've never tried any of the Axe FX stuff, so I can't speak to how it sounds but checking the prices on them.. that may be a bit more than I want to spend for what I'm needing it to do. I picked up a used Quadraverb II yesterday from GC used. Hopefully, it makes it here in one piece and functions like it should. I may look into something a little more comprehensive later on, but I think for now I can get away with something that can provide basic reverb/delay/chorus, etc. for my home setup. I don't play out, but I do have a small pedal board with the "must haves" if I ever need to go mobile.

I've never tried any of the Axe FX stuff, so I can't speak to how it sounds but checking the prices on them.. that may be a bit more than I want to spend for what I'm needing it to do. I picked up a used Quadraverb II yesterday from GC used. Hopefully, it makes it here in one piece and functions like it should. I may look into something a little more comprehensive later on, but I think for now I can get away with something that can provide basic reverb/delay/chorus, etc. for my home setup. I don't play out, but I do have a small pedal board with the "must haves" if I ever need to go mobile.
Axe are really nice. You just sold a guitar so snatch one.
I'd go for the Axe FX III but the II would be more than adequate.
This coming from a hardcore tube guy.

Axe are really nice. You just sold a guitar so snatch one.
I'd go for the Axe FX III but the II would be more than adequate.
This coming from a hardcore tube guy.

That I did, that I did.. LOL But, I just can't justify spending well over $1K+ for an effects unit for what I need it to do. This unit won't be used for studio, recording, etc. I just mainly need something to provide reverb/delays for the heads I have that don't have any type of built in reverb on them. The G-Major line up was a consideration, but more on the top end of what I was looking to spend actually. I thought if I was patient I could probably find a good deal on one eventually. I'm familiar with the QV II, since I had already owned one and those can be picked up for the price of a new single use pedal and they do a pretty decent job. Although, they can be a bit complicated in the programming department. LOL

Back