Does a boost tighten an amp when put in loop?

I am refering to series, as parallel could only affect half of the signal. I could try to find this out myself. I have a randall solid state amp 2 feet behind me, but the very sound of it makes me sad, so I am just going to ask you.

I'd guess no, or at least not in the same way that boosting up front does. Putting the boost up front pushes the preamp tubes, which is what results in the tighter sound. Boosting in the loop would only drive the phase inverter and power amp tubes, which I'd guess would have less of an effect in the traditional 'boost' sense. Would definitely try it out, though, and judge for yourself.

My guess is "no".
The idea of a boost tightening the preamp is to bang the front of it, not after the signal has passed the preamp stage.
The loop is for effecting the already pre-amped signal, i.e. eq/delay etc.

My guess is "no".
The idea of a boost tightening the preamp is to bang the front of it, not after the signal has passed the preamp stage.
The loop is for effecting the already pre-amped signal, i.e. eq/delay etc.

Not really.
People put a "boost" (OD usually) in front to "tighten" the low end are using the pedal as a HPF. Used to be people sniveled it took too much low end away. Yes, a "boost" can slam the first gain stage into earlier or more OD, but that doesn't automatically tighten things up.

I'd guess no, or at least not in the same way that boosting up front does. Putting the boost up front pushes the preamp tubes, which is what results in the tighter sound. Boosting in the loop would only drive the phase inverter and power amp tubes, which I'd guess would have less of an effect in the traditional 'boost' sense. Would definitely try it out, though, and judge for yourself.
I also guess no, and if it is because you are slamming front end with gain, that makes sense. However, I was led to believe earlier it is that it turns a round wave into a square wave. But then it still tightens up a solid state.

You’ll just get a volume jump mostly and the added gain probabaly won’t be that pleasant. Like said above, pedals that “tighten” up amps are cutting off lows to the input ( a high pass filter) so with less bass going into the early gain stages the amp is tighter/leaner. The affect is more pronounced as the pedal usually accentuates the upper mids and top end. You can also put an EQ in front with a level control and cut some bass and boost level or an EQ in the loop can make some very clean but big changes to the sound, with little movement on the sliders.

Check this out. The white pedal is a RG100es preamp.

No, you'll just get more volume and the tone will shift. Even though it's a boost, it's acting almost like an EQ pedal when you put it in the loop.

If you wanna boost your amp, put the drive pedals in front.

I think boosting a loop in a solid state amp will just make it louder.
I’ve had great luck putting a bbe sonic stomp pro in a loop though. Almost too tight sounding

Back