Does this look totaled to you? Anyone here an insurance adjuster or otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts?

War_in_D

..or in other words, a paint and body person?? Does this Nissan Rogue looked like it might be totaled to you? The guy in the white truck rear ended us on Saturday. It was me, my wife and we had our 12 year old grand daughter with us. Thankfully, nobody was seriously injured but we're all really sore today. The guy driving the truck broke his right arm. We never talked to anyone in the truck and the cops never said anything, but I'm assuming the reason was that he was holding his phone that happened to be in front of the airbag when it went off. Witness that saw it said the guy never hit his brakes, and pushed us about 30' before he saw any brake lights come on. The speed limit on that stretch of road is 40-45 mph, but everyone probably drives faster than that so I would guess he hit us going at least 45-ish.

The vehicle was still movable, but I can see buckling of the sheet metal between the quarter windows and the end of the chrome trim that goes over the top of the windows on both sides. The passenger side door was hanging up while opening/closing and entire exhaust system was hanging down to the ground and appeared to have broken every hanger/holder underneath along the length of the pipe coming back from the motor.

Nissan Rogue Crash Pic Resized.jpg

Nissan Rogue Crash Pic 2 Resized.jpg

NIssan Rogue Crash Pic 3 Resized.jpg

Nissan Rogue Crash Pic 4 Resized.jpg

Nissan Rogue Crash Pic Truck Resize.jpg

Interesting.. I'm curious to see what the adjuster says. I'm kind of split 50/50 since no airbags deployed, but I'm definitely not an expert. Most places that repair damaged vehicles aren't interested in actually repairing body panels. They only want to replace them. I'm pretty sure it's going to need two new rear quarters, floor pan work, obviously a rear hatch, bumper, exhaust, paint, etc.. not to mention all the electrical and sensors. The passenger door issue makes me think it possibly bent the frame, or at the very least tweaked the sheet metal and alignments all the way up that side of the car.

Looks totaled to me. Let us know what the adjuster says. Great to hear you and your family were not seriously hurt, and good luck!
Thank you! I'm gathering data, and waiting for the police report to show up online. I'm in a holding pattern until I can get that info.

It is nearly impossible to determined what is considered "totaled" without an in depth inspection of the frame

Along with many other things that cannot been seen in the photos. Just the body damage alone seen in the photos could be enough to cross the threshold (which none of us know). Liftgate, rear quarters, glass, sensors, then the rear undercarriage, .....

Remember, there is no frame in a conventional sense.

^Yeah, 'totaled' these days means different things in addition to traditional frame damage.

@War_in_D - first of all sorry this happened to you and your family. Sounds like everyone is OK? Sucks man regardless.

It is nearly impossible to determine what is considered "totaled" without an in depth inspection of the frame
Exactly. Especially if the cost to repair is higher than the value. They will just call it 'totaled' and cash you out. Because some of the doors won't close on Warren's car, I'm going to assume it is totaled.

Reminds me of what happened to me about 20 years ago. It was a total "Final Destination" moment. I'm on the Interstate heading to work. I pass this chick in her jeep who is doing her make up (while driving 55-60 mph). I think to myself, 'damn, she's gonna cause an accident doing that'. Go down another half mile or so and traffic starts to slow in at its normal place and time due to on/off ramps to another highway. I'm going like 20 mph. All of the sudden I hear this screech BANG! behind me. Then in slow motion, another screech BANG! behind me. That chick hit the car 2 cars behind me - which hit me - and then I ended up underneath the pickup truck in front of me. 4 car pileup if you will.

My beloved Camaro was "Totaled" according to insurance. They gave me $4K 😭

fOG25uj.jpg

im an agent not an adjuster

rule of thumb is if the damage exceeds 70% of the current book value they will total it

hard to tell from pics. youd have to get under it. chassis looks twisted to me

you should collect 100% from the other guy. plus any rental car and medical expenses

keep the settlement papers at least 6 yrs. ti swill show youre not at fault in case you decide to go insurance shopping later on.

im an agent not an adjuster

rule of thumb is if the damage exceeds 70% of the current book value they will total it

hard to tell from pics. youd have to get under it. chassis looks twisted to me

you should collect 100% from the other guy. plus any rental car and medical expenses

keep the settlement papers at least 6 yrs. ti swill show youre not at fault in case you decide to go insurance shopping later on.

Thanks for this information! Especially the keeping the settlement papers!

So, turns out that I used to work with the guy that hit us... As in, we worked in the same department (about 100 people), for the same company in the town I live it but I don't remember him that much at all. I kind of remember his name, but that's about it. I guess when we worked together, he was travelling down from Springfield, Mo (about 80 miles to where I live) and ended up getting a job for another company up there and that's why he left. Small world isn't it? So, from information I'm gathering from the adjuster with my insurance, this guy is claiming that I stopped "suddenly" and another witness said the same thing and that's why he hit me. Of course this is a huge crock of shite and I have a feeling this "witness" is someone else that was in the truck. I'm still waiting on a police report to get published to find out all the details. I've got two family members that are Arkansas State Troopers and both of them said that it didn't matter how I stopped, he was either (A) not paying attention or (B) following to close and he should be found to be at fault. His insurance is saying they won't make any decision until the police report comes out. So, we're all just waiting for that.

Anyway, when I got the dude's name, of course I started searching online (Google, Facebook, etc.). This is how I was able to find out we used to work together, turns out he and my wife have a mutual friend on Facebook and that mutual friend and I used to work in the same department in the past as well. Anyway, I found a Youtube channel for this guy and I guess about five years ago he fancied himself as some kind of stunt car drifter (like the cars sliding around the corner sort of thing) and I found a video he posted of himself cutting donuts and drifting around a few public parking lots in Springfield, Mo. So yup, I downloaded them to have in my back pocket in case this gets ugly. I already suspect the guy was distracted, either texting or something but these videos don't speak well to this guys safe driving habits, that's for sure.... Him illegally sliding around all willy-nilly in a public parking lot.

Last edited:
Yeah. Frame in today's world is unibody.

Funny about the Youtube stuff. That's cool that you found that background on the dude. You know, if you know the Exact time of the accident, maybe cell phone records can prove he was texting or something. Pretty sure you can get those subpoenaed fairly easily. :dunno:

The computer (specifically EDR) on your car records all of your telemetry history like a black box. So does the one on the guy that hit you. The insurance guy has to know that. Some OBD and OBDII also did this in the past, but pretty sure it's mandatory on every car for like the past 10 years

I thought about trying to get the info from the EDR, but haven't dug into the process of how to go about that. I also asked one of my State Trooper nephews about it, and he said it might have to be legally requested by subpoena. So, not sure if they would even provide it unless legally required to do so.

As someone who has been schooled in paint and body work I'd be willing to bet a twenty spot that rig is a total loss. i would bet more, but I was schooled in paint and body so I don't have more to bet. It's salvageable if you had a frame straightening rack and tools but I seriously doubt that car is worth more than what it is gonna cost to fix it. It's toast. Sorry brother. Glad nobody was hurt bad but everyone in the car should be getting checked out because things show up hours and days later that your mind overrides when the adrenaline is flowing. Please get everyone looked at.

Back