don't seem to get any better on guitar

the crush 36

I seem to be in a rut for awhile now just don't seem to get better or just get to another level like playing alittle faster or faster with picking notes ect. Don't get me wrong I play in a ozzy tribute band and can jam anything randy rhoads zakk wylde and been playing for probably 25 years I have just been stuck at same level for awhile now I do pratice at home not As much As I use to but around 10 hours a week plus band pratice once a week and i do have a full time job! I don't know maybe I just need to pratice more does this happen to any other guitar players out their?

It comes in waves .... Try a style very different than what I usually do is what I do. Everyone has limits to what they can do regardless of how much time is spent.

Bingo.

Change up the style, you'll pick up new shit in no time that'll inspire your otherwise regular repertoire.

Take a once a month lesson from a pro in a different style. I have done this a time or two. I am currently learning some chicken pickin stuff. After watching Andy Wood shred some of that hybrid style it got me interesting.

I hear you about it being hard to find time to practice. With young kids and a full time job, I sure can relate.

For me learning new songs every week for P&W has helped a ton. Forces me to practice and play styles that I am still developing (slide, hammer on pull off, etc)

You're simply not pushing yourself. Do something different, whether it be a style, lick, technique, knowledge source, tempo change, etc. I've been in ruts plenty of times and the one thing I've learned is that they're always self-induced.

Yep... throw on some unfamiliar stuff and get practicing slowly.. Brent Mason, Johnny Hiland, Andy Wood, etc.. Find inspiration in something and do it when you're inspired. Unfocused practice is a waste of your time. Good luck and stay inspired :thumbsup:

Watch some video lessons....Paul Gilbert,Bruce Bouillet(this one is very good, youtube it),Reb Beach,Greg Howe,George Lynch.

Try some Jazz & Classical stuff maybe :)

Join a pop band, or a country band and go out and gig a night playing a whole lotta songs you don't know, or have ever heard.

Been there, done that! Trust me, you'll get better.

rupe":y89ob2w5 said:
You're simply not pushing yourself. Do something different, whether it be a style, lick, technique, knowledge source, tempo change, etc. I've been in ruts plenty of times and the one thing I've learned is that they're always self-induced.

Spot on.

Change what you're doing. We get stuck in a rut when we repeat the same things over and over and over.

1. learn to play in different time signature...5/8, 9/8, ect.
2. experiment with different beat divisions/subdivisions. We usually get stuck doing groups of 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8 notes. Try 5's and 7's.
3. "invent" your own scales/chords. We get stuck playing the same old scales/chords that have been used for centuries. I wrote out ever possible combination of notes in a notebook a few years back. Every so often, I go and work with one of those as a new type of scale. Most guitarists use about 4 different scales. More advanced guitarists might use 40. In my notebook, I have 10,000+.
4. Play a different style of music. Many good jazz guitarists can outline chord changes in their soloing. Classical guitarists have a completely different right hand technique.
5. Go get some old Guitar Player magazines and go through every one of the lessons. The best years for lessons in Guitar Player were about '75-'90. You'll find a ton of stuff you haven't yet/can't do on guitar.
6. Play a different instrument. It sounds odd. But a lot can be learned about music when you play a different instrument. Anything I've learned form playing percussion, tuba, or keyboards has translated to something new on guitar.
7. Most importantly...try to find something on the guitar that no one else is doing. Look at all the whammy bar and harmonics ideas that came to be thanks to Satriani, Victor Wooten, and Vai looking for some elusive sounds that no one else was making on the guitar/bass. It's very time consuming to look for something new, but it's extremely rewarding when you come across something that you've never heard anyone do before.

The possibilities on the guitar really are endless...different types of bending, vibrato, and other techniques. I noticed, after spending 8 hours in 1 day on 1 pentatonic shape (more than once), that there's a point of diminishing returns...to get a little extra faster, you have to put in a ton more work. Unfortunately, you'll end up ignoring everything else about the guitar. I saw a lot of that in the '80s...guys who could shred a scale like a motherfucker and couldn't play chords for shit. Change what you're doing and quit playing the same thing everyone else is playing.

* All of the above is really advice to myself. You can try it if you want.

Jerome Allen":8itcyf8e said:
Change what you're doing. We get stuck in a rut when we repeat the same things over and over and over.

2. experiment with different beat divisions/subdivisions. We usually get stuck doing groups of 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8 notes. Try 5's and 7's.
3. "invent" your own scales/chords. We get stuck playing the same old scales/chords that have been used for centuries. I wrote out ever possible combination of notes in a notebook a few years back. Every so often, I go and work with one of those as a new type of scale. Most guitarists use about 4 different scales. More advanced guitarists might use 40. In my notebook, I have 10,000+.
4. Play a different style of music. Many good jazz guitarists can outline chord changes in their soloing. Classical guitarists have a completely different right hand technique.
5. Go get some old Guitar Player magazines and go through every one of the lessons. The best years for lessons in Guitar Player were about '75-'90. You'll find a ton of stuff you haven't yet/can't do on guitar.
6. Play a different instrument. It sounds odd. But a lot can be learned about music when you play a different instrument. Anything I've learned form playing percussion, tuba, or keyboards has translated to something new on guitar.
7. Most importantly...try to find something on the guitar that no one else is doing. Look at all the whammy bar and harmonics ideas that came to be thanks to Satriani, Victor Wooten, and Vai looking for some elusive sounds that no one else was making on the guitar/bass. It's very time consuming to look for something new, but it's extremely rewarding when you come across something that you've never heard anyone do before.

The possibilities on the guitar really are endless...different types of bending, vibrato, and other techniques. I noticed, after spending 8 hours in 1 day on 1 pentatonic shape (more than once), that there's a point of diminishing returns...to get a little extra faster, you have to put in a ton more work. Unfortunately, you'll end up ignoring everything else about the guitar. I saw a lot of that in the '80s...guys who could shred a scale like a motherfucker and couldn't play chords for shit. Change what you're doing and quit playing the same thing everyone else is playing.

:2thumbsup:

I suck so it will not help me, but Jerry does have some good info to offer!!!

metalmaniac93":1ny5zabz said:
Jerome Allen":1ny5zabz said:

3. "invent" your own scales/chords. We get stuck playing the same old scales/chords that have been used for centuries. I wrote out ever possible combination of notes in a notebook a few years back. Every so often, I go and work with one of those as a new type of scale. Most guitarists use about 4 different scales. More advanced guitarists might use 40. In my notebook, I have 10,000+:.

Hey thanks for all the replys their are some really good ideas and I think I need to push myself alittle harder but even the material or solos I play now over and over I just don't seem to be able to play better over time like a lot of randy rhoads harder solos I still struggle with and if I don't pratice all the time I for get or just can't play parts up to par! I just think some people have a lot more talent when it come to guitar playing!!!!!

:2thumbsup:

I suck so it will not help me, but Jerry does have some good info to offer!!!

Back